Thread: The Singing Fisherman of Kasilof, THANK YOU

Default The Singing Fisherman of Kasilof, THANK YOU

Tuesday I was down at the mouth of the Kasilof and in the early evening with both banks full of people doing their best to reap the rewards of this resource, one of the commercial fishermen whose boat was tied up decided to share his talent with us. He came out on the deck, plugged in his amplifier, tuned up his guitar and ask for requests from the crowd on shore. The guy was pretty darned good, and everyone enjoyed it. I have been dipnetting the Kasilof for several years now and this was a first for me. True, some boats will deliberately come in hot just to whizz off the dipnetters and see if they can get them wet, or at least back-up to escape the wave swell, and some dipnetters are just as obnoxious in their own fashion, but there are also folks from both venues that are courteous as well as just plain friendly. Maybe if we can just remember that most of us are just plain folks and capable of being pleasant to each other, it will be a lot more enjoyable for all of us. Maybe we can't do anything about the chronic peckerneckers, but that doesn't mean we can't get along better and enjoy the experience.

I sort of figured I would see something on this posted by someone else, but I haven't as yet, so, let me say thank you to The Singing Fisherman of Kasilof for making an enjoyable interlude for a lot of us -- watch your back Hobo Jim, this guy is good too.

Cool...I hope he is there this week!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    Maybe if we can just remember that most of us are just plain folks and capable of being pleasant to each other, it will be a lot more enjoyable for all of us.
    I like your optimism, and in a "Lion will Lay down with the Lamb" type world then there might be hope. But unfortunately when there are just too many people with that "ME, ME, ME...!!!" "MY, MY, MY"....."I WILL have mine...!!!" attitude, that "mob" mentality seems to take precedence over the capability of being nice to one another.

Case in point..... Black Friday at Walmart when they trample each other to get in the door......

Sorry, I hate to go there.......just being a realist I guess.

But the singing fisherman had to be a pleasant surprise for sure....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

former guide I would love to know your opinion of people setting fake spike camps for sheep. I am fairly certain you are well aware sheep hunters and said guides have been known to be especially possessive of that particular resource. and being a taxidermist I have heard a few stories LOL talk about mine mine mine! :-) ;-)
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Notice I wrote MOST of us. There isn't much we can do about the peckerneckers and their me, me, me attitudes, some people are just natural born jerks and pigs whose parents were probably the same and didn't teach them any better. Quite often these schmucks are jerks, peckerneckers, and pigs all rolled into one not so tidy package. Best we can hope for is better enforcement, report them when possible, and maybe some non confrontational social pressure by example. People that know me would be the last to call me an optimist, maybe curmudgeon, but hardly an optimist, though I try to see the good in others unless given reason not to, and I appreciate when someone goes out of their way to be friendly like The Singing Fisherman of Kasilof, or the other commercial folks that wave and have a friendly word when going and coming at reasonable speeds and not trying to cause a huge wake and swamping folks. Each year I see the same jerks and know the names, and outline of their boats and try to make sure I don't get swamped. I just appreciate the efforts of anyone who tries to make a situation more comfortable for all around them and have some fun doing it regardless of who, how, when, or where, and I hope that word gets back to the entertainer that I wanted to say thanks and let others know he is out there and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    ..... though I try to see the good in others unless given reason not to,.....
    Believe it or not......you are an optimist. And the world would be a better place with more like you.

Now me.......on the other hand.....tho I try, and try very hard, I find it very difficult at times........lol

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    former guide I would love to know your opinion of people setting fake spike camps for sheep.:-) ;-)
    I don't believe in cheating.......

We saw him in mid-June as well. Really enjoyed the few tunes he played for us while we stood in the water.

Did anyone catch the name of the boat? I have friends in the drift fleet, and one or two are dern good on the guitar.

What a pleasant change of pace this thread is. Kudos.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Don`t know the name of the boat but it was Blue and tyed off to the first bouy coming into the river,had a small windmill on it .

Yep, that's the boat.

Miss Anna I believe is the name of the boat