Thread: Drop hunt for Bou-N. Slope

Default Drop hunt for Bou-N. Slope

Hey guys, long time follower here on the site. We are booked to fly out with 70 North in mid-August. Just looking into making sure we're all set before we go. Is there anything out of the ordinary we should be prepared for? I've heard we can have sun, rain, snow and about everything in between on our hunt.

We will be flying into Fairbanks and renting a truck to make our way up the haul road. Do any of you have recommendations or past experience on this?

Look forward to hearing some of your experiences on this hunt!

Colton

Bring good pack boards in case the caribou are not crossing in your drop off point. We had exactly one out of eleven caribou we didn't have to pack at least 1/2 mile.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Ditto the pack boards. Depending on the area, you might also plan on crossing creeks and streams (hip waders). Bugs will probably not be a problem, but bring a head net and a little dope just in case. Don't forget your favorite seasoning and some potatoes and onions for a tenderloin feast. This is a fun trip. Take your time and enjoy the hunting and the scenery.

Also be cautious around any moose you see. Aug is rut up there. I made a couple calls and had a 60" bull try to stomp a mud hole in my a$&. There are no trees to hide behind.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Good to know. Didn't think we would see moose on our hunt, but I will be sure to stay away! As far as the packs go we should be covered on that- I hope.

Did a fly out with them two years ago had a great time Mike and Bob are great we saw about 1000 bou in four days took nice bou. Hip waders ours were both taken about 1 1/2 miles from camp took two days of work to complete packing the two back to camp. Hip waders are needed our bou was across the river when we too them.

That's another good thing to know. I hadn't planned on bringing hip boots. Looks like you got an awesome bull. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes have at least one pair in the party no doubt. Also not a bad idea to have a shotgun and fishing rod. We were within 200 yards of a nice river I bet it was full of grayling and saw birds everday to take we probaly had 30 that stayed on the strip we landed and camped on. Also saw two grizz one came way to close to camp. You will have a great time in a great place hope to make it back soon myself up there with the bow this time. Here is a link to my trip for your enjoyment.

http://onyourownadventures.com/huntt...d.php?t=253065

Awesome reading about your hunt, and seeing your pictures. We will have to take up a pole with us, and we figured we would pick up a wolf tag as well.