Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof????Gun bag

Default Waterproof????Gun bag

I recently bought a Cabela's waterproof, roll top type bag for my rife in the boat. I like the bag...heavy vinyl/pvc whatever the material is, strong clips, the sling has metal spring clips, made in USA. (It looks a lot like it might be made by Seattle Sports.) I used it last week on an overnight in Kenai Lake.

Decided to test it in the bathtub today. Not terribly impressed. I put my rifle and 12 rounds inside my basic, cordura rifle case with the standard foam padding in it. To my pleasant surprise, it floated! Things were going well. I rolled it over in the water, checked seams for air bubbles coming out to indicate a leak. All was well. THEN...I pushed it to the bottom of the tub, and air started coming out of the corners of the roll top enclosure. I held it under water a couple minutes then let it go and it still floated. I pulled the rifle out and the whole top of the pvc waterproof bag was wet (soaked) all the way to the edge. Pulled the cordura rifle case out, and it too, had wet spots the entire length of it. The rifle itself was still dry, but for how long?

My question is, how waterproof is waterproof? Is this somewhat normal? I expected the pvc waterproof bag to fully sealed and not let any water in at all. Am I expecting too much? Was my test "skewed" because I pushed down on the bag and pinned it underwater?

Thinking I should be returning this for another, but not if what I saw is the typical performance of a "waterproof" "dry bag."

It's this item to which I refer: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

I always figured those dry bags for guns were just that. To keep the rain and wave splashes off of your firearm. I don't believe anything with a roll type top is gonna be 100% waterproof. So to answer your question yes you are asking to much in my opinion.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I always figured those dry bags for guns were just that. To keep the rain and wave splashes off of your firearm. I don't believe anything with a roll type top is gonna be 100% waterproof. So to answer your question yes you are asking to much in my opinion.
    Well. With that said. Is there a better, more waterproof option short of a Pelican Case?

Nomar Alaska makes a roll top case that they advertise as seam sealed. A quick call to them would confirm it or not.

http://nomaralaska.com/gunscabbard.htm
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

There is only ONE waterproof (100%) dry bag for rifles and gear. Watershed!

This one is what I've used and I've swam with it multiple times without failure.

http://drybags.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?...portsmanSeries

Larry

I'll second the Watershed...my 5yr old od green rifle bag is still waterproof. Very tough product that will/does stand up to abuse....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    There is only ONE waterproof (100%) dry bag for rifles and gear. Watershed!

This one is what I've used and I've swam with it multiple times without failure.

http://drybags.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?...portsmanSeries

Larry
    Larry's Right, The watershed bag is 100% sealed and 100% Waterproof. It just so happens I have one that I would be willing to sell, It has only been used on 1 float hunt and looks like its brand new. The one I have is slightly different than the one Larry mentioned, mine was made by Watershed and includes backpack straps, made for Orvis(I think) but I think Orvis never ended up putting them in their stores...PM me if your interested...

Yep..the best case is made by sagebrush dry. They are in Kake.
    They use to make /sew for patagonia.
    I live my case!!!

They r at www.sagebrush dry goods.com
    The gun case isn't on their online catalog. You have to call and ask them....great folks!

SO- Whats the big deal on a water-proff case? Your gun should be water-proff any way? The closed bag will keep the the dampness in as temp. changes, as well as out. Have been making custom bags since the early 80's, would line the inside with closed cell urethane for flotation. Should have seen Rod Arnos eyes when I threw his custom SAKO .458 out of the cub into the lake-- she just floated around!! Any way play like it rains in Alaska and your gun will be wet for a while! Another note, Don't take your cold rifle into a warm tent. Just my thoughts -get a good finish on your gun to begin with. Have some water-proff cases I am selling for a friend, along with the rest of his guide business- new bags, new and used SOTAR rafts, Tents, cooking gear, Ect.
    Goo Vogt
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com

Hey- forgot to say - I personally use hardwood floor wax on the outside of my shotguns. Just take a rag and wipe her off and re-apply ! Just a Louisiana, "coon-ass" thing - still working after all these years-
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Hey- forgot to say - I personally use hardwood floor wax on the outside of my shotguns. Just take a rag and wipe her off and re-apply ! Just a Louisiana, "coon-ass" thing - still working after all these years-
    Goo
    Yeah, I think rbuck advised me to use SC Johnson's paste wax (which s floor wax). In the "olden" days in the south (antebellum south until the advent of blueing and modern chemicals) we used bacon grease to ward of rust on the "browned" rifles.

SO- Whats the big deal on a water-proff case? Your gun should be water-proff any way? The closed bag will keep the the dampness in as temp. changes, as well as out. Have been making custom bags since the early 80's, would line the inside with closed cell urethane for flotation. Should have seen Rod Arnos eyes when I threw his custom SAKO .458 out of the cub into the lake-- she just floated around!! Any way play like it rains in Alaska and your gun will be wet for a while! Another note, Don't take your cold rifle into a warm tent. Just my thoughts -get a good finish on your gun to begin with. Have some water-proff cases I am selling for a friend, along with the rest of his guide business- new bags, new and used SOTAR rafts, Tents, cooking gear, Ect.
    Goo Vogt
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    Can you post some pics of these water proof gun cases? Curious to see what you have made. Might be interested if the price is right. Thanks!

Goo
    as an admirer of Cajun engineering, a guy won't get any better advice as you've stated. I get a chuckle on these gun bags, a waste of money imo. A well used/rusty rifle that is at the ready in a split second, is better than a rifle with a perfect, flawless finish tucked away in a bag. I personally use one device: a string. tie the rifle to a thwart (or whatever), with a quick release knot, and it will withstand a capsize without being lost. Likewise, it'll come to the shoulder in a split second if need be. what's a tub of paste wax going for nowadays?

I've got a dry case I believe made from Alaska Canoe (not sure though) and it's definitely not waterproof. didn't even immerse it in water. No they're not waterproof.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    as an admirer of Cajun engineering, a guy won't get any better advice as you've stated. I get a chuckle on these gun bags, a waste of money imo. A well used/rusty rifle that is at the ready in a split second, is better than a rifle with a perfect, flawless finish tucked away in a bag. I personally use one device: a string. tie the rifle to a thwart (or whatever), with a quick release knot, and it will withstand a capsize without being lost. Likewise, it'll come to the shoulder in a split second if need be. what's a tub of paste wax going for nowadays?
    Speaking of inexpensive solutions, what happened with your moose hunt a few years ago? The one you were soliciting leaky waders and rusted out rifles to prove you don't need the latest and greatest. I was hoping you'd tip over a big moose on the anti-gear geek hunt.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Speaking of inexpensive solutions, what happened with your moose hunt a few years ago? The one you were soliciting leaky waders and rusted out rifles to prove you don't need the latest and greatest. I was hoping you'd tip over a big moose on the anti-gear geek hunt.
    not much has changed, I still want to pull off this hunt. I got a wool tuxedo from craiglist for 10 dollars, a pink barbie tent for 8 dollars, some crap waders from a yard sale, and an old coleman stove that singed my eyebrows off when it caught on fire. Just last week, I found a troy-built chansaw and a craftsman chainsaw, both for 20 dollars! I do plan to build a butt-ugly plywood boat from free lumber, and find some worn-out evinrude or johnson with weeds growing around it. I will make it happen scott!

forgot to add, I GOT A FREE RIFLE. a fella was so happy with my canoe work, he gifted me an old new england firearms singleshot 30-06.

and find some worn-out evinrude or johnson with weeds growing around it. I will make it happen scott!
    You can borrow my 1969 Evinrude 4hp Lightwin. It's starting REAL hard right now. (took me a good 10 minutes of pulling to start it, not including the break I took because I was exhausted.)

I used one of the Cabela's bags on my last hunt and am going to use it again in a couple of weeks. I only use it when I am in the raft and not planning on using the rifle. I know it likely won't keep water out when submerged for long, but it might keep the rifle from becoming drenched in a heavy rain or briefly if it somehow ends up out of the raft. And the idea that it would float for a while sounds helpful. When in the raft, I have my .454 on my belly. We mostly hunt from the camps on the gravel bars, not from the raft. If there is a target of opportunity when rafting: If it's close I would use the revolver; if it's far away, I have time to unload the rifle bag I assume. I'm probably missing something, but that's my thinking. I have the revolver because we're in a pretty big raft and not going uber-light. You can see the rifle up front and the revolver on my person:

Well if the Watershed "waterproof" gun case cost more than your gun....who cares about a cheap-***** gun... Anybody with half a brain knows you don't leave a gun in a "dry" bag...they are for flotation, so you can find your gun after your lack of paddling skill wraps your canoe around the only huge boulder in the middle of the river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast