Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep "kit" AK range

Default Sheep "kit" AK range

Okay so it was raining this morning so I thought I would do a "dry" run of all my gear for an AK range walk in this year. This is not all-inclusive (no food... or whiskey), but pretty close. I'm happy with the 36# weight of everything I have on this list - I figured I would throw it out there to you guys (and gals) to give some feedback. Please don't be rude or brutal; this is my 4th sheep hunt (2 in AK range and 2 in Chugach) and I've lived in AK for 35 years... I get it. I'm trying to be minimal and smart and most of my gear has been tried and tested before. I'm just pumped to get into the mountains again!!

KUIU Ultra 6000. KUIU Yukon pants, jacket, gaiters, and gloves. KUIU Merino 145, 185, 230 tops. KUIU merino cap and neck gaiter. KUIU guide beanie.
    Icebreaker 230 merino pants
    Salewa Raven mountaineering boots.
    Sea to Summit mug (vinyl). Sea to Summit (e)vent dry sack(s) M,L.
    SteriPen Adventurer UV light
    Nalgene 1L bottle
    Thermarest trail scout (S) pad
    ZenRay 82mm Spotter
    Steiner Safari binos 10x26 (I know they're not the best)
    SLIK mini II tripod
    Jetboil Zip and fuel
    50' Parachute cord
    Sierra Designs Orion AST 2m/3s tent w/ titanium MSR stakes
    Smartwool hiking socks
    Arcteryx fleece floves (I have Reynauds... so I need warm hands)
    Black Diamond headlamp
    CRKT knife (might switch to Havalon Piranta)
    Mtn. Hardwear Ultralamina 0 degree sleeping bag
    Misc: TP, emergency blanket, spork, Purell, tent repair kit, ammo.
    Remington model 700 30.06
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are the Yukon pants going to be your everyday pant? I'm thinking those are going to be really hot!

I would ditch the purell - can't see a need for it in the mountains. Also, do you have anything for first aid and fire starting? Your miscellaneous section seems a bit brief. Camera??

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I would ditch the purell - can't see a need for it in the mountains. Also, do you have anything for first aid and fire starting? Your miscellaneous section seems a bit brief. Camera??
    I have a solid first aid in there, just didn't detail it. ALso have fire in the form of matches, vaseline cotton balls, lighter. Like I said, not all inclusive - meaning I did not bore people with the knick knacks... which happen to be the things that save lives, but I was happy to be under #40.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Are the Yukon pants going to be your everyday pant? I'm thinking those are going to be really hot!
    I do late sheep season, so yes... they're my everyday pant.

I would ditch a lot more than the purell if doing a walk-in hunt. First switch to the havalon, and take 6-8 blades with you, Ditch the Nalgene bottle and use a used gatorade 32 oz bottle with paracord tied to it, ditch the steripen, if anything take the two part water treatment otherwise drink straight out of the mountain, ditch the Jet boil, get the Snowpeak lite max titanium, it weighs 2.9 ounces, and you'll only need your 2 small gas canisters, finally ....0 degree bag? ...do you get cold easy? drop to a 15 degree and you 'll shave some weight there too.....good luck

Unless you wear contacts like I do...then the Purell is indispensable.

Once I added a light hiking pole to my list I wondered why I hadn't done it 25 tears earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I would ditch a lot more than the purell if doing a walk-in hunt. First switch to the havalon, and take 6-8 blades with you, Ditch the Nalgene bottle and use a used gatorade 32 oz bottle with paracord tied to it, ditch the steripen, if anything take the two part water treatment otherwise drink straight out of the mountain, ditch the Jet boil, get the Snowpeak lite max titanium, it weighs 2.9 ounces, and you'll only need your 2 small gas canisters, finally ....0 degree bag? ...do you get cold easy? drop to a 15 degree and you 'll shave some weight there too.....good luck
    Good info...this is the feedback I'm looking for; nothing belittling, just insight. I don't think I'll switch bags since I have Reynauds and I get VERY cold VERY easily. I have to use hand warmers if it gets below 50. It's a tough thing to beat trying to be a sheep hunter, but something I try to overcome w/ better gear (which tends to weigh more). I was on the fence about the Havalon, so I thanks for the info. I got Giardia in 2012 when in the AK range, so I'm a bit cautious about no filtration of my water. I'll look into the two part treatment.

xcrnr, I use the Aqua Mira two part water treatment, its small and it works, Many use this instead of a filter, I'm very cautious when it comes to water, and the only mountain water I drink is flowing water coming out of a mountain spring, with snow melt I still treat the water to be safe. Hope this helps. Looks like you should be pretty light going in.

Good looking list. I am working on the same thing for my upcoming sheep hunt. What are your guys' thoughts on carrying a 50' section of actual climbing rope with you on hunts? I have 50' of paracord in my pack and am going back and forth on the heavier rope as well, it weighs about 14 oz, I've carried in on two goat hunts now and never got it out of the pack. Didn't see game bags on your list?, I'll be using TAG bags this year for the first time. Also do you carry any type of down jacket or vest? I have a KUIU superdown jacket and its the first thing that goes on when I stop to glass.

Keep the paracord, drop the climbing rope for sure.

Good list, a lot of the same stuff I carry. Suggestions would include: definitely the Aqua Mira - I have had "Beaver Fever" x3 and do not want to make it 4!, platypus water bottle weigh 1/2 or less than a Nalgene (used them for years), you didn't comment on rounds of ammo but 10 rounds should be plenty, lastly, on sheep hunts I do not carry stakes as there are always plenty of rocks to use to secure the tent tie downs. I would anticipate at least 10 lbs for food. All in all, you look pretty set. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

re: the Yukon pants: they are not only supposed to be very tough but also very breathable. I will be hunting Snow Sheep this year and plan to use them as my everyday all day pants with long johns underneath as needed.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    Okay so it was raining this morning so I thought I would do a "dry" run of all my gear for an AK range walk in this year. This is not all-inclusive (no food... or whiskey), but pretty close. I'm happy with the 36# weight of everything I have on this list - I figured I would throw it out there to you guys (and gals) to give some feedback. Please don't be rude or brutal; this is my 4th sheep hunt (2 in AK range and 2 in Chugach) and I've lived in AK for 35 years... I get it. I'm trying to be minimal and smart and most of my gear has been tried and tested before. I'm just pumped to get into the mountains again!!

KUIU Ultra 6000. KUIU Yukon pants, jacket, gaiters, and gloves. KUIU Merino 145, 185, 230 tops. KUIU merino cap and neck gaiter. KUIU guide beanie.
    Icebreaker 230 merino pants
    Salewa Raven mountaineering boots.
    Sea to Summit mug (vinyl). Sea to Summit (e)vent dry sack(s) M,L.
    SteriPen Adventurer UV light
    Nalgene 1L bottle
    Thermarest trail scout (S) pad
    ZenRay 82mm Spotter
    Steiner Safari binos 10x26 (I know they're not the best)
    SLIK mini II tripod
    Jetboil Zip and fuel
    50' Parachute cord
    Sierra Designs Orion AST 2m/3s tent w/ titanium MSR stakes
    Smartwool hiking socks
    Arcteryx fleece floves (I have Reynauds... so I need warm hands)
    Black Diamond headlamp
    CRKT knife (might switch to Havalon Piranta)
    Mtn. Hardwear Ultralamina 0 degree sleeping bag
    Misc: TP, emergency blanket, spork, Purell, tent repair kit, ammo.
    Remington model 700 30.06
    I know it's been recommended to ditch the jet boil but I love mine. I eat nothing but dehydrated/freeze dried foods and the jet boil is perfect for what I need. Very efficient. It's not the lightest but I've carried one canister of fuel for a weeklong trip and cooked three meals a day using it for four people. Of course that was simply boiling water for our meals but you can't go wrong with it.

How much food are you taking?

I am thinking I will take 1200 cals per day.

1200 cals per day is pretty low. Run a calorie calculator online for your weight and type of activity. I weigh 160 pounds and for 7 hours of hiking and climbing with a 50 pound pack, the calculator shows me burning up around 4600 calories. I'm going to consume around 4000-5000 a day and will use powders, olive oil, high calorie trail mixes and power bars to get it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How much food are you taking?

I am thinking I will take 1200 cals per day.
    You trying to lose weight?

I've never sheep hunted but I've done some mountain hiking. I'd assume he'd burn about 4000 calories a day.

Trying to keep my pack weight down a little. Funny, I have 60 pounds of the high tech lightweight gear that weighs 60 pounds! (actually, I haven't weighed my gear/food yet).

Yes, I plan on losing weight. I didn't get it done before my trip....so I am going to do it during the trip.

I took 3000 cals last time I was up in the Brooks. We ended up not hiking much, but 3000 was way too much food per day.

I weigh more than the 170 pounder above, but will most likely take less steps per day. I will have time though.

6 miles with a 3000 foot elevation gain at 260 pounds plus a 50 pound pack is showing about 1500 calories.......http://hikingscience.blogspot.com/p/...burned_22.html

what calculators are you using?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast