Thread: Enjoying sockeye!

Default Enjoying sockeye!

To me the recent spurt of threads and posts regarding the Kenai river can generally be summarized as "dipnetter outrage, blah blah blah" and it is kinda sickening. So much arguing. I understand the desire to affect positive change, but I think there is a lot of negativity involved, and I can't even thoroughly read through some of those threads.

I would like this thread to be primarily photos of people enjoying their sockeye, enjoying the harvest, the cleaning, the consumption. Where else does massive seafood, precious marine nutrients, swim to you from the ocean deep?! Let's just appreciate it and share the positive moments with each other. Please hold your commentary unless it is appreciation of another's post.

I did my copper river run solo this year, on the solstice weekend, and got a bunch of delicious sockeye and had some great conversations with my fellow residents doing the same. This was the most gorgeous sockeye of the bunch. Guess I best him up a little in my fervor.

I really don't care if you scooped them with a net or caught them on a pole or rounded them up from the salt in a set.

Fresh fish for supper in camp; Copper Red in early June, 2014 (and yes that's a little halibut Olympia on there, too.) thx, Al.

I second the want for more positive, less negative., cool photo btw thanks for sharing.

No pictures to add just a BIG thanks to all the Kenai/Kasilof residents for putting up with us non-penn residents. This is the first year of dip netting for me. After hearing of all the dangers that are supposedly common dipping around Copper and Chitna(sp?) areas I decided if the Mrs. was going to not let up until I went I would try the penn dip fisheries. I began looking into costs vs catch this year down there and with my noob experience at it and haering how overly crowded the Kenai gets I figured I'd try the Kasilof. Now I'm not putting down any of the other areas, I just figured it would be in everybody's best interest if a beginner went to a less competitive and dangerous area(if such a place exists). I went with my neighbor who has dipped at Kasilof before and enjoys that river the most she says. The first day was OK but a little frustrating to me. I ended up with 6 reds when I headed back to camp but I lost way more than that. I slowly got the hand of which way to turn the net by telling which way the fish hit it from and how to keep them in it until I was on the beach. After 3 days I ended up with 21 total and felt for a newbie at this I did pretty well. I enjoyed the camaraderie of everyone I met while there, both penn residents and non. I was kinda disappointed in the amount of trash but that's beginning to unfortunately become the norm. I spent my 4th day picking up trash and it even got some of the others that saw me do it picking up too. All in all it was a great experience and I am sure I will do it again. Maybe even after a couple years I'll get up the nerve to learn how to dip the more dangerous rivers.

what a wonderful thread adweav.... I have no idea how to send a photo.... last night I stir fried some of my fresh Copper River fish with mushrooms I picked that morning and mixed with fresh beat tops and cilantro from the farmers market,,, and just as it was done I put in some caviar and made this year..... it's not just the fish and the meal I appreciate.... it's also the wonderful memories of the trip

Here's a nice one---

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    No pictures to add just a BIG thanks to all the Kenai/Kasilof residents for putting up with us non-penn residents. This is the first year of dip netting for me. After hearing of all the dangers that are supposedly common dipping around Copper and Chitna(sp?) areas I decided if the Mrs. was going to not let up until I went I would try the penn dip fisheries. I began looking into costs vs catch this year down there and with my noob experience at it and haering how overly crowded the Kenai gets I figured I'd try the Kasilof. Now I'm not putting down any of the other areas, I just figured it would be in everybody's best interest if a beginner went to a less competitive and dangerous area(if such a place exists). I went with my neighbor who has dipped at Kasilof before and enjoys that river the most she says. The first day was OK but a little frustrating to me. I ended up with 6 reds when I headed back to camp but I lost way more than that. I slowly got the hand of which way to turn the net by telling which way the fish hit it from and how to keep them in it until I was on the beach. After 3 days I ended up with 21 total and felt for a newbie at this I did pretty well. I enjoyed the camaraderie of everyone I met while there, both penn residents and non. I was kinda disappointed in the amount of trash but that's beginning to unfortunately become the norm. I spent my 4th day picking up trash and it even got some of the others that saw me do it picking up too. All in all it was a great experience and I am sure I will do it again. Maybe even after a couple years I'll get up the nerve to learn how to dip the more dangerous rivers.
    Don't feel bad, the angry folks on here don't speak for all of us! I actually enjoy a little excitement around town! I love fishing the Russian too, showing someone from out of town how to flip properly and watching them catch their first salmon EVER is awesome, I can fish in September...

Forgot to mention I have no picture to post because I haven't caught a Kenai red yet this year! Latest I've ever gone without getting one!

I enjoy fishing for Reds with folks,, great to help others and share the enthusiasm they bring. I also enjoy solitude on a river and know that is NOT on the menu for the most part there. Beautiful place to gather some fish for the winter.

The reward

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hey stid,
    How about sharing your recipe for the bottom two photos, looks awesome!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

10557334_796138253739694_2080580853349610005_n.jpg

Good time on the Copper.... Evan photobombs dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Hey stid,
    How about sharing your recipe for the bottom two photos, looks awesome!
    Salmon with Fennel, Bell Pepper, and Olives
    1 navel orange
    1 large bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced, 1/4 cup fronds reserved
    1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 skinless salmon fillets (4 to 6 ounces each)
    Salt and pepper
    1/3 cup pitted black olives, quartered

1. Heat broiler, with rack 8 inches from heat. Grate 1 tablespoon orange zest, then cut orange into wedges. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together orange zest and wedges, fennel, bell pepper, and oil and arrange in an even layer. Add salmon and season vegetables and salmon with salt and pepper. Broil until vegetables are browned in spots and salmon is opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with olives and fennel fronds to serve.

Quinoa-Avocado Salmon Salad
    ⅔ cup quinoa
    2 fillets salmon
    1 pint grape tomatoes
    cup cilantro
    bunch scallions
    red onion
    2 limes
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 avocado
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup water
    kosher salt
    black pepper
    1. Cook Quinoa
    Rinse quinoa under cold water using a fine mesh strainer. Place quinoa, 1 cup water, and a pinch salt in a medium pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until water has evaporated and quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover, and set aside.

2. Sear Salmon
    Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add salmon. Sear until browned on outside and slightly opaque, about 5 minutes per side.

3. Prepare Ingredients
    Meanwhile, wash tomatoes, cilantro, and scallions. Halve tomatoes and finely chop cilantro and scallions. Peel red onion and mince.

4. Prepare Quinoa Salad
    Juice 1 limes into a large bowl. Add halved tomatoes, chopped cilantro and scallions, minced onion, 1-tablespoon olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Toss to combine. Stir in cooked quinoa. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

5. Prepare Avocado
    Halve avocado and discard pit. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out flesh and discard skin. Cut into thin slices. Squeeze over remaining half lime and season with salt and pepper.

6. Plated Salad
    Flake salmon with a fork. Divide quinoa evenly between two bowls. Top with avocado and salmon and serve.

Enjoy

Check the "what's for dinner thread"
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks much, I'm going to give it a try!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.