Thread: Ship Creek

Default Ship Creek

I have an extra day to fish on 6/15 before my flyout to the west side. Tide looks like it will be rolling in the later afternoon. Do I need to wear waders or hip boots to get around on Ship Creek? I like to throw bobber and egss, but not sure that technique is acceptable in a crowded line up? Otherwise, I will just toss a Vibrax. I am not into the flip & rip technique.

waders will help. It seems that I always get mudy down there. Bobber and eggs are usally done t high tide. IF the water is coming in or out people tend to slap the water and your set up will just get tangled. You will have fun done there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You'll be fine with hip waders if you have no intention of fishing the low tide. We usually wear knee high's with blue jeans. You'll be alright with eggs but it is crowded. A lot of people who fish eggs usually sit them on the bottom.

Default Ship

According to reports on the Outdoor Journal fishing is picking up : )

Thanks for the info.
    Mark

Seems as if yesterday was hot and today was slower.. HOPEFULLY it will be hot when im down there on my day off from work ha. I will be throwing a #6 Blue/pink, Orange, Or Pink vibrax.. Hopefully I can get some roe and make a corkie/orange yarn rig aswell... What size hook should I use for the roe/yarn rig? And has anyone gone to tonights evening tide?

I agree, yesterday was much better than average fishing. Today, was pretty poor. I stopped into the derby headquarters this afternoon and found only one fish logged in! Yikes! Hopefully, the run didn't just fly thru in the past few days.

A note on the dam. This year, Fish & Game is leaving it wide open. They won't be shutting it down after they have enough fish upstream for the spawn. This is an attempt to see what would happen should the dam be removed. In years past, the dam has been used as a control. In previous years, after they have the escapement they need, they would close the gates down to reduce the numbers that make it upstream and give the fisherman a better chance of harvesting these extra fish. If the 'Unplug Ship Creek' group has it's way and the dam is never again used as a management tool, these fish will scoot upstream and they'll have way more fish than they need. Sounds to me like the presence of the dam is a good thing and it's use by F&G as a management tool should continue.

Or we could unplug ship creek and let salmon spawn in the 40 miles of stream bed like they used to, creating an even better run of salmon, but some of them actually wild!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Sounds good to me, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Or we could unplug ship creek and let salmon spawn in the 40 miles of stream bed like they used to, creating an even better run of salmon, but some of them actually wild!
    That would be nice, like Campbell Creek.
    I have to say though, it's nice for people to be able to go right down town and be able to catch fish like they are shooting fish in a barrell. Not many places like that, sort of reminds me of Homer Spit. Not everyone is an elite fly fisherman that can walk five miles to search out a spawning king. One good rain and all those fish would shoot up, onto the base and that would be it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Land access problems. You can't access anything above the Reeve's bridge due to it being military land. Nice idea, but in this age of tight security, it won't work. Even below Reeve's, you have access problems. It's railroad land, and they, along with the businesses surrounding the creek, don't want the entire Ship Creek game played all up and down the creek. Can't blame them, really.

Unplug Ship, and the fish are going to scoot right on bye where folks are able to harvest them. And with no access, the fishery as we know it now will be history.

<grin> Isn't everything below the high watermark State land?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    <grin> Isn't everything below the high watermark State land?
    Try accessing the Elmendorf portion of Ship Creek and see how far you get.

Smile Dress

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Try accessing the Elmendorf portion of Ship Creek and see how far you get.
    When you crawl under the fence, wear camouflage, sunglasses, a big back-pack with wires hanging out.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Land access problems. You can't access anything above the Reeve's bridge due to it being military land. Nice idea, but in this age of tight security, it won't work. Even below Reeve's, you have access problems. It's railroad land, and they, along with the businesses surrounding the creek, don't want the entire Ship Creek game played all up and down the creek. Can't blame them, really.

Unplug Ship, and the fish are going to scoot right on bye where folks are able to harvest them. And with no access, the fishery as we know it now will be history.

I'd personally rather have more fish moving through than less that have to stay in one spot, thats just me though I guess , its not jut the lower dam I'm talking about its all 3 of them especialy the 2nd which totally blocks fish access.

P.S. Fish could always get by the lower dam even when the gates were closed they'd shoot up the raceway

P.P.S. The fish pooled up below the gates always sit in the pool where fishing is not allowed
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.