Thread: Full curl?

Default Full curl?

Some good pics to practice on http://www.alaskastock.com/resultsfr...ys1=dall+sheep . As countless other threads will testify to, judging full curl is a tough one unless their big and obvious. Thinking some kind of see through spotter scope lens cover with 1/8 curl segments overlayed would be handy in determining whether to move in or pass. Old school is always tried and true. Wifey's Tok hunt is in 22 days. Been on a few dress rehearsal backpacking trips to get the gear dialed. My pack comes in right at 50lbs including rifle, full H2O bladder, tripod, spotter, and tent (along with clothes and other essentials). Wifey's pack is 40 lbs fully loaded with all her essentials and food (she only weighs 105). It's a shame we're limited to 50lbs on the super cub since she weighs half of many guys. But I'm certainly not going to argue with the pilot (beings that I am not a Pilot ) We have a good plan to deviate from and hopefully the gods smile down upon us. As always, any tips, advice, things to look out for, etc... are appreciated.

How many days you guys plan on going in for? 90 lbs between the both of you is quite a bit, Our last sheep hunt, My wife's pack was 31 lbs, mine was 42.4 lbs with all our food (for 8-10 Days), of course a whole lot heavier coming out .......Take alot of pics, can't wait to hear the report.

Bigsky,
    What rifle will you be taking? Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    How many days you guys plan on going in for? 90 lbs between the both of you is quite a bit, Our last sheep hunt, My wife's pack was 31 lbs, mine was 42.4 lbs with all our food (for 8-10 Days), of course a whole lot heavier coming out .......Take alot of pics, can't wait to hear the report.
    Your wife shot a ram? Niiiiice!

What ever you put on your person does not count towards your 50# pack requirements. Good luck.

Kaha, we'll be in for 8 days. Was your pack weight including rifle and full H2O bladders/bottles? If so I'd love to see your gear list if you have one. I'll look through past threads to see if you posted anything about your last sheep hunt.

Knick, My rifle is a Win Featherweight in 300 wsm and my wife shoots a Tikka t3 in .270. My featherweight is a bit heavy at just around 8lbs with scope, and her tikka could be built a touch lighter but she likes a 50mm scope. I'm not a fan of plastic guns so I'll pay my dues there.

I'm not looking to carry anymore than 50lbs and in fact I'd like to carry less if possible. I just thought it odd that the air service didn't give a total weight including passenger and gear and then we would divy up accordingly. No biggie really I suspect they make many folks slim down the load. I'll be carrying a bear and bou tag along just in case but the obvious goal is to put a ram in the pack for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Kaha, we'll be in for 8 days. Was your pack weight including rifle and full H2O bladders/bottles? If so I'd love to see your gear list if youreve one. I'll look through past threads to see if you posted anything about your last sheep hunt..
    Good luck on that! Sheep hunters are a tight lipped group and this is first I've heard of this ram! And I check all the forums, every sporting good store photo book, reg book, good housekeeping, sheep org article!

Good luck on your hunt and be safe!

The pack weight limit is due to the pilot having to lift it over the seat into the tail section. Everything going back there has to be 50 or less.

Your bladder better be empty for your weight. Don't fly with water in your pack. There is no need for that in the TMA. You may run out up top, but not where you fly in to.

Stuff your pants pockets with small items.

40 miles scale left a 2.5 pound difference from my digital luggage scale weight and theirs. I added more snack foods to get up to 50.

Copy that Ray. I was planning on leaving the water reserves empty and topping off once off the plane. Me and the Mrs. will be stuffing the cargo pockets with all kinds of snacks .

Sent from headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Kaha, we'll be in for 8 days. Was your pack weight including rifle and full H2O bladders/bottles? If so I'd love to see your gear list if you have one. I'll look through past threads to see if you posted anything about your last sheep hunt.

Knick, My rifle is a Win Featherweight in 300 wsm and my wife shoots a Tikka t3 in .270. My featherweight is a bit heavy at just around 8lbs with scope, and her tikka could be built a touch lighter but she likes a 50mm scope. I'm not a fan of plastic guns so I'll pay my dues there.

I'm not looking to carry anymore than 50lbs and in fact I'd like to carry less if possible. I just thought it odd that the air service didn't give a total weight including passenger and gear and then we would divy up accordingly. No biggie really I suspect they make many folks slim down the load. I'll be carrying a bear and bou tag along just in case but the obvious goal is to put a ram in the pack for my wife.

I posted a solo sheep hunt gear list about 2 years ago, its probably still in the gear forum. my total weight was at 47 lbs, that everything including food and rifle, but remember my rifle w/ scope is still under 6lbs. Pack weight is definitely a whole lot heavier with your whole camp on your back.

Last year I had my wife carry her sleeping bag and neo air pad, the tent (Big agnes Fly creek: 2.5 lbs) and all the food, we hiked along water the most of the way until we started ascending then we'd pick and load up our platypus bags, but water was readily available on top too since we were close to some small pocket glaciers.
    Last edited by kahahawai; 07-19-2014 at 22:41. Reason: more info.

I just looked at my old gear list (post #164 on "sheep hunt gear list") and much has changed since then, The rifle in that list was my Remington Alaskan Ti and it was much heavier, some of my optics have changed as well as my tripod, some things heavier and some lighter give or take.

Easiest way to judge a legal ram is to not waste your time on a squeeker. Go big or go home.

I've done three 7-9 day sheep hunts with my wife, we end up with about 80lbs of gear between the two of us including a rifle.

Good luck on your hunt.

When I have done the 50 lb thing with 40 Mile Air, we wore all our extra clothes and stuffed our pockets full. My wife is a 100 lbs or so as well.

The packs are loaded in the rear cargo area and that shifts the center of gravity aft,,, CG is critical for safe flight and that is why they are so strict with the weight limit, that is also why the weight can be on the passenger since they sit farther forward.

Good luck and be safe, nothing like getting the wife her Ram.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    When I have done the 50 lb thing with 40 Mile Air, we wore all our extra clothes and stuffed our pockets full. My wife is a 100 lbs or so as well.

The packs are loaded in the rear cargo area and that shifts the center of gravity aft,,, CG is critical for safe flight and that is why they are so strict with the weight limit, that is also why the weight can be on the passenger since they sit farther forward.

Good luck and be safe, nothing like getting the wife her Ram.

Right on Stid! The CG thing makes sense. I've read your story on the ram pictured. Good write up and good inspiration. My wife also enjoyed reading about you and your wife's trip. It's been pretty cool seeing my wife get more and more into hunting. She guided climbing trips in Patagonia and Yosemite before we met, so hunting the mountains is a nice way for us to blend what we like to do together. She's what I like to call a "huntatarian" (n) a person who only eats meat that they killed or caught.