Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy?

Default Group Buy?

I have heard rumor that (due to weight restrictions on smokeless powder) barges are only shipping powder to the big chain stores nowadays...... due to my schedule on the slope this is pretty lame, as it is becoming near impossible to replenish my supplies of favorite powders as they deplete. I would love a 5lb keg of bullseye about 8 lbs of H335 or a good alternative such as Ramshot exterminator ...... and since I'm trying to work up a good bear load for 454 casul I would love a few pounds of a good powder for the heavier 300+ grain bullets in that caliber.... I will eventually have to haggle if it comes to this.....But I would love to just get what I need on order, as I am willing to wait for what I need and simply get it when I get it , if this eliminates price gouging, especially since it helps but these modern day ammo turning profiteers out of business......Are Goup buys even possible anymore? if so is anyone interested in organizing one of these? have a good line on a distributor? Transporter?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    I have heard rumor that (due to weight restrictions on smokeless powder) barges are only shipping powder to the big chain stores nowadays........Are Goup buys even possible anymore? if so is anyone interested in organizing one of these? have a good line on a distributor? Transporter?
    There are two barges per week, 400 pound limit per barge, plus overland freight which costs more. There is one shipper who has an exclusive agreement with SW and won't accept powder/primers/ammo barge freight for anyone else. Lynden, Carlile, and perhaps others still do. (I just used Lynden, with complete satisfaction). The real challenge right now to making a group or aggregate purchase is finding two or more powders in stock at the same time, to be shipped together. A given powder will show up in stock, but people are still gobbling it up within a few hours, so it's near impossible to piece together several different powders because they don't stay in stock long enough to be available for purchase at the same time.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I am not sure how to get a bunch of powder shipped up here, or I would.

I agree. Seems like trying to get a bunch of different powders would be next to impossible to organize. How about bringing up a bunch of just a few powders, or maybe just one type. The "most versitile two powders thread" has some good ideas. Sounds like Varget or RL15 would be a big hit. Also unique. I would love some H110 for my .44, and I am not alone.

If a person of knowledge asked for a bunch of reloaders to go in on a group buy on one powder, it might make it up here on a truck this year. Do that three or four times and maybe some folks could keep the dream alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I am not sure how to get a bunch of powder shipped up here, or I would.

• Call The shipper of your choice (Lynden, Carlile, etc.); get a cost quote and a job reference code.
    • Watch the powder supplier(s) of you choice for availability of your desired powder.
    • When your powder becomes available, purchase it and have it sent to your chosen shipper.
    • Shipper will transport your purchase from Fife WA to AK via barge or overland truck.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Rifle powder is often available around Anchorage and the Mat-su. Sportsman Warehouse, Cabelas, Great Northern Guns, 3 bears, Boondocks, and several other smaller shops.

Pistol powder has been less noticeable... but then at one store, I was specifically looking for H1000 and managed to find a can of it tucked behind 10+ pounds of H110.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    • Call The shipper of your choice (Lynden, Carlile, etc.); get a cost quote and a job reference code.
    • Watch the powder supplier(s) of you choice for availability of your desired powder.
    • When your powder becomes available, purchase it and have it sent to your chosen shipper.
    • Shipper will transport your purchase from Fife WA to AK via barge or overland truck.
    Sounds too easy. What's the catch?

Sounds too easy. What's the catch?
    Serious question, or sarcasm?

The primary catch, as previously identified, is availability. The second catch is cost: ship a small quantity and the cost per pound becomes uneconomical; ship a larger quantity (50#) and obtain a good per pound cost, but have to pay a hefty total cost.
    #Resist

Someone has to front a bunch of money and organize the buy, then find some powder and finally hope those that order it actually take it when it arrives. It's not hard to do, but there are pit falls. IO is pretty much spot on. There was a guy here that made a couple of group buys that apparently went well but I think he moved to the United States.
    Over the last couple of years I have managed to pick up quite a bit of powder by watching the local stores and gun shows in the area. I have been watching for some varget to test but haven't had much luck. However, one of our forum members here has offered to give me a bit for testing. Great bunch of folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Serious question, or sarcasm?

The primary catch, as previously identified, is availability. The second catch is cost: ship a small quantity and the cost per pound becomes uneconomical; ship a larger quantity (50#) and obtain a good per pound cost, but have to pay a hefty total cost.
    Sorry, not trying to be sarcastic. So, if a guy brought up 50 pounds of pistol powder, do you think it would sell?

OK. I did it. I am trying to get some H110 up here. I have 40# on the way. Maybe more if I can swing it. They will be in 10 pound lots. I will let you know when/if it comes in. If my fuzzy math is correct, it should be under the going online rate of approximately $20 a pound. I decided not to complain about it anymore and do something. Let's see how it works.

Good for you Dave. PM sent

No reason that shouldn't work well. H110 should be easy to get rid of any you don't want. 10lb lots is a lot more than I have any interest in but it should be easy to find three others that would take 10lbs. This is usually the way it happens. Someone wants powder bad enough to order up a bunch and resell what they don't want. You will probably have any you don't want sold before it gets here. Things get done when someone takes charge and does it.

If someone would want to split or quarter a 10 pound lot let me know via PM - I'll go in on it. If not, that is okay too.

Now somebody do this with Reloader 22! lol
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Bullelkklr: PM sent.

Looks like I am getting 10 pounds of h110 instead of 40. I have some other powders coming to make up the 50# box limit. I will post what I have when/if I get anything up here.

interested if you get rl22 4831 4350 or h 1000 possibly rl19

Looks like I am getting 10 pounds of h110 instead of 40. I have some other powders coming to make up the 50# box limit. I will post what I have when/if I get anything up here.
    kinda late on this and tried to PM you... seems your inbox is too full! go figure!
    Too bad you're cut short on the H110 - I need it for 300BLK loads. Getting any A1680?
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Happily View Post
    interested if you get rl22 4831 4350 or h 1000 possibly rl19
    Same here, but add 7828 to the list.

Sorry about the inbox, I will clean it out.

I have powder sitting at my Brother's house in OR. I am calling shippers to see who can get it up here. Not as easy as it may sound. I now know what they want to hear about shipping size and weights, and can now get some reasonable quotes. The shipping to OR was reasonable, but had a mediatory hazmat fee. About over $1 per pound added to cost to get it to OR. Likely another $2-3 per pound to get it up here. So, the powder I will have will be more expensive. No way around that since I am not buying it by the pallet. But, I have some popular stuff. I am not going to spill the bean I what is coming up to avoid the full in box again. My original post on H110 fell through and it is all said for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast