Thread: Red travel time to Upper Kenai

Default Red travel time to Upper Kenai

About how long on the average does it take reds to make it to the upper Kenai from the mouth. Thanks.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Well since no one posted to this, over 150 views and no answer, I'll answer the question. I sent a PM to Alaska Outdoor. Journal and asked Klondike Kid the same question. at least he cares enough to answer. He said it takes about 10 days on the average for the fish to travel from the mouth to the Russian River area. Hopefully this helps out a fellow angler.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

It depends on how long they hang out in the lake too. I think it was 2 years ago they stayed in the lake for what seemed like forever. They didn't show on the upper until they were tomato's.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Yeah that's right. It was two or so years ago they stuck in the lake. Why was that again? Super high water levels?

Other than that I've always heard 10 days, too. Sure it's been discussed here a lot. But as that one season showed, 10 days is just an average and stuff can apparently throw that off pretty bad.

Luckily the upper kenai water level is quite low. Hopefully they can stick to that 10 day schedule. If they do we may start seeing some little pushes on the upper from those early 30K days.

Thursday I ran into thousands of sockeye milling in the frog water. Amazingly most were just barely blushed or even chrome. We caught one that could have come out of the lower river it was so bright.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

@Kardinal_84 - How far up the river were you seeing all the sockeye? Is it worth fishing the upper kenai yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown drake View Post
    @Kardinal_84 - How far up the river were you seeing all the sockeye? Is it worth fishing the upper kenai yet?
    We caught the chromer right below the powerlines after sportman's. We were amazed and didn't think anything about it until we started seeing them hopping all over the place in the frogwater right above Jim's Landing.

I have no clue what these fish are in terms of crazy bright first run fish or super fast more normally colored second run fish. I'm not really a upper river expert. Caught us completely off guard to see so many reds. The big schools we saw were all in frog water so we didn't really try for them. Made a few casts, hooked/snagged (don't know lost them all) a few. Had we know there were so many decent sockeyes in the upper, we probably would have broken out the red rigs a bit.

I just got a report from the same folks I drifted with and they said the reds had thinned out where we saw then last week. But they have to be somewhere!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.