Thread: Crow Pass Trail shuttle?

Thumbs up Crow Pass Trail shuttle?

Hi all -

Planning to solo hike from Girdwood trailhead to - well, as far as I can get. If I DO get all the way to Eagle River, how does a gal get back to Girdwood other than thumbing it?
    Fly fishing makes me herl

I'm not aware of a shuttle. The options I can think of are, find a group that is hiking the same time frame and catch a ride, hike back, thumb it, or take a cab, (which would cost a fortune)

I'd caution against crossing Eagle River solo. Even at lower water levels it can be a challenge to cross, and it's extremely cold. IMHO the best part of the trail is from the Girdwood side to the river, so hiking the river and back would be as I recall the same length as the through trail and the best scenery, twice.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

May end up going with a group. If not, I won't cross Eagle River solo, I'll wait for a group to arrive and will join in for the crossing. It will be a busy weekend on the trail, likely won't wait long.

Guess i will do a key swap with someone or hitch a ride back when done. Do-able.

Paul is correct. Even at knee deep, crossing Eagle River was like having thousands of razor blades cut my legs. Also, the trail, in my opinion, actually gets tougher on the Eagle River side. Are you planning a two day crossing or three? (I did it in two and would have enjoyed it MUCH more had I done it in three.)

As for transportation: yeah you're SOL if you're alone. Probable best bet is to get someone you know to follow you out to the Eagle River terminus, drop off your car, and have that person drop you and your gear at the Girdwood trail head. I don't know of any commercial service that does that. When are you going?

I'm going August 8 or 9. Will likely do it in a 3-day, however I don't have a rigid schedule. I plan on walking slow and enjoying the trip. If I like it enough, I may turn around at ERNC and hike right back!

Quote Originally Posted by etdvm View Post
    I'm going August 8 or 9. Will likely do it in a 3-day, however I don't have a rigid schedule. I plan on walking slow and enjoying the trip. If I like it enough, I may turn around at ERNC and hike right back!
    I'll be out of town then. If you can do it as a 2 way trip, that greatly simplifies your problem.

We did it as a day trip with a large group. I don't know if the trail is tougher on the Eagle River side, but man I was hurting the last six miles. I was also hurting for several days afterwards
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I will likely be hurting too much to turn around and hike back. Put on my loaded pack today - it's heavy. May just have to walk in halfway, them turn around. Mental note: lose weight (body AND pack).