Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many decoys

Default How many decoys

What is the average number of decoys do you all use. I like 5/6 dz.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Depends on where I'm at some places I'll take in half a dozen and some places I'll use 2 dozen. My "secret" spot I'll take in only about 12 or 15 max because of the small pot holes there

I used to use 50-60. Then I realized its rare to see a group of more than 20 here where I hunt. So i downsized and only use about a dozen now.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I have ranged from 2doz here in Alaska to over 200. So many vairables and different things to take into consideration. When everyone around is sitting there with 2dz and those birds see 200 1/4 mile away after getting shot at..it has to look good. Opening weekend I just throw them all out beacuse I have waited a long time to see em..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Default Can you have too many?

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    What is the average number of decoys do you all use. I like 5/6 dz.
    Load your boat full and then float three dozen behind the boat..... At that point you may have enough to pull a few away from DH01 LOL

1 Sept cant come fast enough!!!

I'm gonna snorkle around in a gillie suit and sneak off with 10-15 of Duckhunters deeks. I hope he doesnt shoot at strange clumps of weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckup View Post
    Load your boat full and then float three dozen behind the boat..... At that point you may have enough to pull a few away from DH01 LOL

1 Sept cant come fast enough!!!
    Hugh and I will be hunting togather so who knows how many will have out. I agree cant come fast enough

Thats funny...Its not me...Skeeter is well trained to kill anything that enters the decoys from the water.. retrieve if it comes by air. So watch those ears...lol

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I'm gonna snorkle around in a gillie suit and sneak off with 10-15 of Duckhunters deeks. I hope he doesnt shoot at strange clumps of weeds.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I've normally just used between 2-3 doz. Things may change, a friend gave me 6-7 doz last year. I also Tx rigged my deks last year, and with having more and being faster and easier to put out and pick up with the Tx rigging, I may try and give DH1 a little competition and see if I can't pull a few of his birds over to me. But he wills still get a chance at them after I scare them off by shooting at them. Bud
    Wasilla

I think having a huge spread on both sides of the lake will do us both well Bud.. I just glad your going to be out there in style this year. It will be a good year

opener and the second day we will be running 8 with 2 spinner wings. then after that bumped up to 20 decoys. for big water hunting we use around 100
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

If I'm walking in, I can fit six mallards, six gadwals, four teal, and four duck butts in my duffel bag. That makes 20 (all hens, remember). In the boat, I'll go with two bags (roughly double the aforementioned numbers) plus a couple of geese and a spinner. There are about two or three dozen decoys that never make it out of the garage because I don't like to pick up decoys for an hour when I'm done.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    opener and the second day we will be running 8 with 2 spinner wings. then after that bumped up to 20 decoys. for big water hunting we use around 100
    Big water? You talking outside the marsh? Whittier? Homer salt water?

Salt water and lakes that are legal to hunt. And some rivers

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

If that is the case..give them to they new kid on the block...Gunner or something. Hech, I ll buy em from ya.,

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    If I'm walking in, I can fit six mallards, six gadwals, four teal, and four duck butts in my duffel bag. That makes 20 (all hens, remember). In the boat, I'll go with two bags (roughly double the aforementioned numbers) plus a couple of geese and a spinner. There are about two or three dozen decoys that never make it out of the garage because I don't like to pick up decoys for an hour when I'm done.

This discussion brings a question to mind. During the opener, and other busy times, at what I am assuming is the “lake” (where you have to make the short portage by the cabin), what is the etiquette of placing decoys in a spot to reserve that spot to come back to later? I have never been one to do this, but have heard that this is a practice out there at times and want to know how to deal with it if I get to a spot before somebody and there are decoys there. I know what I would do everywhere else I have hunted public land, but realize that may ruffle some feathers and don’t want to deal with an argument opening morning. I never ran into the situation the handful of times I hunted there later in the season last year, but want to see what those who have hunted many years out there think.

Martin, there are many words written on that subject here. You can do a search and read up, or maybe this will start a new discussion on the subject. Some people will simply shoot the decoys. Some will pick them up for the owner to get. Some will set up and hunt over them. Some will set up and hunt very nearby. Lots of options here. I'd better get some popcorn going for this one. Bud
    Wasilla

I wasnt going to say anything but what the hell. There is no law that say you cant. That being said I would never put out decoys and leave them for several days. But I also dont see a problem with puting them out right before dark the night before and be sitting you area blind bright and early the next morning. If a person puts his spread out and then they wait to the last minute to get in there blind. They should be upset if someone is hunting over there spread. Just my two cents.

I will tell you that all of us that hunt that area are very good and courteous with each other. We usually meet at the portage area and discuss that morning if not the night before around a fire where we are planning to set up. So with half a dozen or so knowing this.. There is not an issue, as we all know and have planned accordingly to where the others will be. It's the ones we don't consider locals(to the area) that show up and just head out. Most of us will ask them where they plan to hunt. We are simply trying to either provide information accordingly to where others will be or make small talk on the subject. If they remain tight lipped and head on out (very few) then I wouldn't expect them to set up, destroy or disturb my decoys or my buddies out there. Just move to another area. The ones I hunt with and know that use the area are good people. If they want to set up a day before.. So be it..if they tell me or not.. I don't care. In a couple of weeks most of the new guys leave anyway.

Personally I would just smile and find another spot.. Way to many good spots out there if you know what you are doing and it won't matter anyway.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I really just want to know what is normal out there so that I can deal with it how the guys with many years’ experience would. I would never destroy anyone’s property, but have picked up decoys in the past that had been left out to reserve a spot. In some of the refuges I hunted in Kansas and North Dakota it was illegal to leave out decoys anyways so I didn't feel bad about it.
    Outside of private land where I was the only one hunting, I have never left out decoys when I wasn't there. I don't really plan on it. However, If everyone else is going to be doing it then I might as I don't want to be one the first ones out there (I was every morning I hunted out there last year) and have to go from spot, to spot, to spot until I find one not reserved. Basically, I want to follow local protocol out there and do what it takes to get the spot I want. I know there are many good spots out there, but there are some that are obviously better than others.
    I like how you guys talk about it and I was part of some of those discussions and thought that they proved beneficial (at least once I learned what some of the spots were called). I will likely be part of those discussions again and will hopefully get to meet some of the folks on this forum at those conversations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast