Thread: Smoked Shrimp

Default Smoked Shrimp

It's hard to smoke shrimp because they stick to your lips and they're hard to keep lit...but these came out great. I had never tried it before and almost forgot to this time. Off the cuff recipe goes like this: Soaked in a salt brine for about 25 minutes, then drained. Stuck them in the fridge for about 3 hrs until a pellicle formed then dredged them in a sauce of peanut oil, garlic, cayenne, smoked paprika and ground sassafras. Smoked over mesquite for about 25 minutes then let them cool down and into the fridge. Super simple...just use your favorite seasonings and let 'er rip.

Looks delicious! do you measure internal temperature at all or just go until they seem done? Never had smoked shrimp before, I may have to try that this year!

Man.....you got my mouth watering...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Looks delicious! do you measure internal temperature at all or just go until they seem done? Never had smoked shrimp before, I may have to try that this year!
    Anythingalask, these were the spots with eggs and coonstripes from my Monday-Wednesday trip. I've since googled smoked shrimp and found several recipes. They're history now...shared them with several neighbors who all pretty much came unglued over the flavor. Since many people eat shrimp raw, I wasn't concerned about internal temperature, but if they were not consumed in a short time span, I would want to re-freeze them. I did these for 25 minutes...next time I'll add at least 10 minutes. Over cooked shrimp are rubbery...under cooked and raw can have a kind of chalky taste/texture. These still had that trace of chalkiness that I don't care for. No one mentioned it, but I noticed it. I pre-heated the smoker until it was cranking out the smoke before I put the shrimp in. The sauce was only about a 1/4 cup...just enough to put a light film on all the shrimp and they sucked that flavor right up. Also included but forgot to mention I ground up a couple bay leaves with some cumin, lemon and orange peel. I'm not a salty food fan and the short brine time firmed the shrimp up a bit without over doing the salt. Most enjoyable shrimp I've ever made and they'll be better next time. I bet folks who really understand seasonings could concoct something very special! Also, thanks for the thumbs up to 4merguide!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Anythingalask, these were the spots with eggs and coonstripes from my Monday-Wednesday trip. I've since googled smoked shrimp and found several recipes. They're history now...shared them with several neighbors who all pretty much came unglued over the flavor. Since many people eat shrimp raw, I wasn't concerned about internal temperature, but if they were not consumed in a short time span, I would want to re-freeze them. I did these for 25 minutes...next time I'll add at least 10 minutes. Over cooked shrimp are rubbery...under cooked and raw can have a kind of chalky taste/texture. These still had that trace of chalkiness that I don't care for. No one mentioned it, but I noticed it. I pre-heated the smoker until it was cranking out the smoke before I put the shrimp in. The sauce was only about a 1/4 cup...just enough to put a light film on all the shrimp and they sucked that flavor right up. Also included but forgot to mention I ground up a couple bay leaves with some cumin, lemon and orange peel. I'm not a salty food fan and the short brine time firmed the shrimp up a bit without over doing the salt. Most enjoyable shrimp I've ever made and they'll be better next time. I bet folks who really understand seasonings could concoct something very special! Also, thanks for the thumbs up to 4merguide!
    Awesome man. Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely be doing up a batch this fall! Will report back on the results!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post

It's hard to smoke shrimp because they stick to your lips and they're hard to keep lit...but these came out great. I had never tried it before and almost forgot to this time. Off the cuff recipe goes like this: Soaked in a salt brine for about 25 minutes, then drained. Stuck them in the fridge for about 3 hrs until a pellicle formed then dredged them in a sauce of peanut oil, garlic, cayenne, smoked paprika and ground sassafras. Smoked over mesquite for about 25 minutes then let them cool down and into the fridge. Super simple...just use your favorite seasonings and let 'er rip.
    Man this sounds so good.