Thread: Fly rod on spin reel (for red flipping)

Default Fly rod on spin reel (for red flipping)

Broke my fly rod but have backup casting rod was wondering if anyone has put their fly reel on a casting rod. My mom uses my gear while I am on baby detail and she doesn't like the feel of the monofilament of the usual reel? Theoretically I don't see why this wouldn't work for flipping reds

It'll work
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

You may think I'm kidding, but the absolute best flipping rod I've ever seen a guy use was a piece of plain old bamboo about 10' long tapered to around half an inch at the tip. He'd tied on 8' of 200# mono to a big barrel swivel, with 3' of 40# Maxima below that. No pretense of a reel or fly fishing. The big barrel swivel kept his weights from sliding down, and when he hooked a fish, he could have it up on the bank with one flip. Any time someone crossed his line, he just gave a jerk, and the other guy was tying on a new outfit. He flat smoked the reds. If I go to one of the flipping hot spots, you can bet I'll be outfitting myself with exactly the same outfit. Absolutely impressive. No messing around. Get er done and go home.

Bamboo Meat Stik - I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Bamboo Meat Stik - I like it!
    It really worked. He looked like those guys on tuna boats flipping tuna over their heads. Maybe that's where he got the idea. Sure looked like he was having fun "fighting" the fish like everyone else until he was sure it was legal hooked, then zip. Outa the water. Gotta admire him. Had about $3 tied up in his fly fishing outfit, and he caught fish better than anyone around.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Broke my fly rod but have backup casting rod was wondering if anyone has put their fly reel on a casting rod. My mom uses my gear while I am on baby detail and she doesn't like the feel of the monofilament of the usual reel? Theoretically I don't see why this wouldn't work for flipping reds

It'll work
    IMO, It's more the technique than the rod.

We use cane poles back home for catching brim when they are spawning. Same deal a piece of Cain 12' or so long with 10-20' of lone at the end if you need it shorter just twist the line around the tip, longer un twist. We use them for the extra reach, they get really spooked and shy but using polarized glasses we can murder them.

to the op problem you'll find is the line getting looped around the bottom handle of the stick on a large casting pole(not just flipping of course) but I started that way

Default flippin

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You may think I'm kidding, but the absolute best flipping rod I've ever seen a guy use was a piece of plain old bamboo about 10' long tapered to around half an inch at the tip. He'd tied on 8' of 200# mono to a big barrel swivel, with 3' of 40# Maxima below that. No pretense of a reel or fly fishing. The big barrel swivel kept his weights from sliding down, and when he hooked a fish, he could have it up on the bank with one flip. Any time someone crossed his line, he just gave a jerk, and the other guy was tying on a new outfit. He flat smoked the reds. If I go to one of the flipping hot spots, you can bet I'll be outfitting myself with exactly the same outfit. Absolutely impressive. No messing around. Get er done and go home.
    Alaska adaptation of Tenkara fly fishing
    NRA Lifetime Member

A better comparison, for sure. Of course, with that heavy "rod" it looked more like pole-and-line tuna fishing. Come to think of it, that does look a whole lot like busy weekends on the Kenai/Russian, doesn't it!

stick and string is all you need
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com