Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can't kill a bear with that!

Default You can't kill a bear with that!

With all the "what gun/caliber/bullet/grains/ETC" I see on here this made me laugh my butt off. This guy not only had probably the junkiest pistol made but it was a .45 ACP and I assume walmart ammo and killed this with 1 shot! HAHA! http://www.adn.com/article/20140715/...break-his-home

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    With all the "what gun/caliber/bullet/grains/ETC" I see on here this made me laugh my butt off. This guy not only had probably the junkiest pistol made but it was a .45 ACP and I assume walmart ammo and killed this with 1 shot! HAHA! http://www.adn.com/article/20140715/...break-his-home
    Actually he killed it with 7 shots according to the article...still impressive tho.

Read it again. He fired 7 times, but only hit it once. That's according to his son.

sent from my igloo

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Read it again. He fired 7 times, but only hit it once. That's according to his son.

sent from my igloo
    You must have a different article...

If that is a 9-foot brown bear, I'll eat my hat. One of the few photos where the bear killer, positioned behind the bruir, still looks bigger than the bear. Sub-adult male making mischief, just like all young males.

Ya I questioned the 9' as well but if you read the comment by his son he did say 7 shots fired and only one hit.

Looks like a bear that would need stretched pretty well to even make 8'.

255gr lead bullets out of my FN (15 rds) 45 would be devastating on anything, but I still prefer 380's out of my 454.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    You must have a different article...
    Read the comments. He shot at the bear 7 times with a high point. Hit it once. According to the son.

Be informed: you cannot kill any large animal in Alaska without a magnum round AND you must be wearing camo to do it (preferably while sitting in your $20k UTV). Also, the firearm you use must cost more than what a person in a third world country earns in an entire lifetime. Disregard all information about hunting printed before 1970 as the game animals have evolved to be more resilient and can no longer be hunted without magnums, on foot, or in a red/black plaid wool coat.

Good stuff sayak
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Be informed: you cannot kill any large animal in Alaska without a magnum round AND you must be wearing camo to do it (preferably while sitting in your $20k UTV). Also, the firearm you use must cost more than what a person in a third world country earns in an entire lifetime. Disregard all information about hunting printed before 1970 as the game animals have evolved to be more resilient and can no longer be hunted without magnums, on foot, or in a red/black plaid wool coat.
    Think he had kryptek or sitka pj's? What kind of gaiters did he wear? Shooting sticks?
    And that bear will go 9 easy. 7' bear with the obligatory 2' plus up for the internet.

PS Anyone know where I can find some Barnes ttssxjx bullets. Big sheep hunt coming up. Secret walk-in only spot with secret bike trail. I'll be the first one ever to go there I think.

Sayak,
    I respect and enjoy your sarcasm

While hiking last week we passed a group of hikers. One of the gals in the group had what must have been a Ruger redhawk 44 with about a 12" barrel. She saw my glock 10mm in my blackhawk paddle holster and made the comment that a 44 is the smallest gun that would kill a bear. To which I replied, "you want to see who can draw and put 10 rounds into a paper plate at 20 yards in under 10 seconds?" I would wager by the time she skinned that hog leg of hers (Tombstone reference there for ya) out from it's floppy leather holster I'd have an empty magazine down range. She said all she needed was one round to do the job. Her hiking party concurred and they went smugly on their way. I'm reaching a bit here but I suspect she hadn't shot more than a box of rounds through that gun and she, and her whole hiking party were putting all their faith in "just one well placed shot" out of a pistol that would take a fair amount of time to draw. Classic stuff.......

“False hope is a terrible thing, if its the only thing keeping you alive you'll be dead by dawn.”
    Charlie Rae

Buhahahahahaha!!!

Funny how erryone knows better. Maybe game and fish measured it. Maybe its 9' nose to hind foot, maybe its 20 years old filled with worms and starving 9 footer Maybe it had five extra legs.

You got some right but you also cant just use good ol' hollow points any more either. All loads must contain at least 580 grains of full metal jacket zombie tipped explosive core tungsten carbide embedded extreme trajectory super slimey coated bullets going at least 3,000 fps

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    While hiking last week we passed a group of hikers. One of the gals in the group had what must have been a Ruger redhawk 44 with about a 12" barrel. She saw my glock 10mm in my blackhawk paddle holster and made the comment that a 44 is the smallest gun that would kill a bear. To which I replied, "you want to see who can draw and put 10 rounds into a paper plate at 20 yards in under 10 seconds?" I would wager by the time she skinned that hog leg of hers (Tombstone reference there for ya) out from it's floppy leather holster I'd have an empty magazine down range. She said all she needed was one round to do the job. Her hiking party concurred and they went smugly on their way. I'm reaching a bit here but I suspect she hadn't shot more than a box of rounds through that gun and she, and her whole hiking party were putting all their faith in "just one well placed shot" out of a pistol that would take a fair amount of time to draw. Classic stuff.......

“False hope is a terrible thing, if its the only thing keeping you alive you'll be dead by dawn.”
    Charlie Rae
    Women in the Alaskan outdoors have proven to be either the most gracious, grateful, excited, ecstatic, reverent folks I've spent time with, OR, the most know it all, short weinered, sword fighters I have ever been cursed to spend time with.

Heck, I carry a 357, thankfully it's a seven shot so I have one left for myself when i think I am out of ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Happily View Post
    Funny how erryone knows better. Maybe game and fish measured it. Maybe its 9' nose to hind foot, maybe its 20 years old filled with worms and starving 9 footer Maybe it had five extra legs.
    THAT'S why alot look exaggerated
    We measure to hind foot now

If that's a 9' bear? That's the biggest chocolate lab I've ever seen!

Actually the son says "Shot at it 7 times but only one shot hit in the directed area. One threw the lung dropped it. ". I assume that means others may have hit the bear "somewhere".
    I agree with Mr. Pid on the size assessment!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If that's a 9' bear? That's the biggest chocolate lab I've ever seen!
    Haha! that's actually a UNIMOG, not a 4 wheeler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast