Thread: Bank Fishing the Kasilof

Default Bank Fishing the Kasilof

So I was planning on heading down to the Kasilof for some bank fishing on saturday. Any suggestions on places or techniques? I've heard flipping near the confluence of crooked creek can be productive. Thoughts?

Be ready for combat fishing!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Be ready for combat fishing!
    Hey for a newbie like me, combat fishing is the simplest way to find places where there might be fish .

How bad is the combat fishing? Is it shoulder to shoulder on both sides? I have fished for salmon in New York state at a dam and it was very crowded. It was shoulder to shoulder and believe it or not, there was another individual standing behind you and casting between the 2 shoulders. It was truly nuts. True combat fishing. Is it that bad?

thanks,

Larry

Wow, that NY fishing sounds absolutely insane. It's no where near that congested at the Kasilof. I'll be down there Tuesday to try my luck.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Thanks for the reply rip. It is insane and dangerous. Most people are friendly and it is amazing how few tangles you get with others. looking foward to fishing in your great state starting the 18th.

God bless,

Larry

Default Combat fishing,

Though Crooked Creek/Kasilof is not as crowded as the Russian River or New York (as it seems), you likely won't be alone.

The good news is this gives plenty of opportunity to learn how to fish the waters, what tackle/bait to use and so on... take some time and simply watch and observe then find a rock/open bank and give it a try.

Sometimes, if you wait, when someone hooks up, they will have to chase the fish downstream, thus creating an opening. Again, watch others and try to understand the rules of the road....

Good luck (3/0 Gamakatsu with some red or chartruese yarn and bait and enough lead to tap the bottom is all you really need)

Thumbs up

I have found that when combat fishing be patient and you will be rewarded. I combat fish a couple of times a year and if you give yourself plenty of time it can be a blast. I find a spot I like and usually just sit back and watch. As people hook up I chat with them, if they want a fish netted help them and just try to chat and be respectful to thier spots. People get tired and want a break. So before you know it there becomes a rotation. 1 guy out and one takes his sopt. I find you can fish about 45 minutes out of every hour when with a good group of people. I enjoy the 15 minutes breaks to get a snack or some foods. Just return the favor when someone gives your thier hole. Next thing you know hours have passed, fish caught and you usually make some new friends.
    Good Luck

Default Excellent advice

AlaskaChuck,

thanks for your post... this is perfect advice for any kind of cobat fishing, anywhere...