Thread: A productive weekend!

Default A productive weekend!

Went out last week on some good free diving tides. Managed to easily get my limit each day very quickly. I was trying to high grade a bit and most of the Abs are around 4" (instead of the 3.5" legal size). With the state of our abalone population, I try and only get the largest ones I can and leave the rest to continue what population we have left. Anyways; the area I dove was actually a very productive spot, with my friend getting his limit and us seeing an additional 20ish each day while snorkeling about an hour and a half or so. I find it's one of the best ways to wake myself up in the morning!

I accidently crunched the large ab in the one photo, but that doesn't affect the taste at all. Pickled some abalone last night to try something different; will let everyone know how it turned out.

Congrats!! Nice photos, too. I've never tasted abalone...could you describe it? Similar to clams?

It's kind of a flavor all on it's own. When I describe sea cucumber meat, I describe it as a clammy calamari. When describing abalone, I guess it's almost like a geoduck neck meat consistency, but with a very mild 'flavor'. I say 'flavor' because the flavor is distinctive to abalone, it's not really comparable to clams or scallops or any other seafood I've eaten. That being said, it is delicious and one of my top favorite seafoods! If you're ever down here in southeast AK look me up and I will hook you up with an abalone feast!

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    It's kind of a flavor all on it's own. When I describe sea cucumber meat, I describe it as a clammy calamari. When describing abalone, I guess it's almost like a geoduck neck meat consistency, but with a very mild 'flavor'. I say 'flavor' because the flavor is distinctive to abalone, it's not really comparable to clams or scallops or any other seafood I've eaten. That being said, it is delicious and one of my top favorite seafoods! If you're ever down here in southeast AK look me up and I will hook you up with an abalone feast!
    Watched a Southeast AK episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern a few nights back. They did traditional preparations of all kinds of fish, shell fish...including abalone, sea cucumbers, stink fish...the whole bit. Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Watched a Southeast AK episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern a few nights back. They did traditional preparations of all kinds of fish, shell fish...including abalone, sea cucumbers, stink fish...the whole bit. Very interesting!
    That episode was filmed here in town except for the stinkheads part. I actually free dive for abalone in the same area that they were diving. It's one of the last areas that the sea otters haven't completely decimated what's left of the population.

Also for anyone that is interested; the pickled abalone didn't turn out that great. Abalone is so good on it's own that is was pretty much a waste to pickle it. Won't be doing it again!

Hey, for some reason I can't send a PM, but would love to talk more about diving in SE (we dive out of Seward) and to hear about abs and scallops/etc. diving!