Thread: Tamaha T-50 vs F-50. Differences?

Default Tamaha T-50 vs F-50. Differences?

I've picked up an 87 20' Koffler Lite sled with a 2004 T-50. I'm wondering what the differences & advantages/disadvantages are between the T & the F?
    What areas of the engines have parts interchangeability?
    It's a fishing boat for the Kenai etc right now, but hoping to do Yukon or Tanana for moose with it in '15 or '16
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The difference in the two is entirely in the lower unit and prop. The T50 uses a 6E5 type prop similar to a 90 or 115 and a 2.33:1 gear ratio versus the 1.86:1 gear ratio of the F50. With a 20' boat, the T model is the way to go. As for interchanging parts, everything from the midsection up is the same between the T and F models.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Doesn't the T model have a different engine configuration too?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks Akfish1.
    Is there a site that really explains to the dense how the whole prop & gear ratio thing works? I mean I understand gear ratios in cars & trucks. It make since that since the T is geared lower it would come out of the hole better (Drag racer with 4.11 gear ration vs family car with 3.39 ratio). But then you put a prop with more pitch & greater diameter that takes more power to swing so it seems that would defeat the lower gearing (that gets a heavier boat on step faster). Is it because the prop "slips" until the boat develops speed?
    It would almost seem that the F50 with an 11&3/8 x 11 prop would have the same approx final drive ratio as the T50 with a 13&5/8 x 13.
    By the way, have a prop recommendation for the T50 with a 20' Koffler Lite sled?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Go look at the props the F50 normally runs, and then look at the props the F90-F115 run. You will see a huge difference. The F50 runs a 3.5" gear case turning mostly 10" diameter props. The T50 runs the 4.25" gear case turning the 13" diameter props.

Sobie2