Thread: Emergency Order -- FIRST FOR ALASKA -- What will it be?

Default Emergency Order -- FIRST FOR ALASKA -- What will it be?

KSRM News in Soldotna is reporting that in a conversation this morning with Robert Begich, a sport fishing management biologist, he indicated that an Emergency Order will be issued today, that will be effective Saturday, which will be "a first for Alaska."

Any guesses as to what's coming down the pipe?

I'm guessing they will close the king fishing, which will also close the commercial beach sites on the east side, and so in order to try to help control the escapement, they will increase sport limits to 12 fish per day, and ALLOW SNAGGING!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    KSRM News in Soldotna is reporting that in a conversation this morning with Robert Begich, a sport fishing management biologist, he indicated that an Emergency Order will be issued today, that will be effective Saturday, which will be "a first for Alaska."

Any guesses as to what's coming down the pipe?

I'm guessing they will close the king fishing, which will also close the commercial beach sites on the east side, and so in order to try to help control the escapement, they will increase sport limits to 12 fish per day, and ALLOW SNAGGING!!
    Not a chance. They will go to catch and release and barbless hooks. Also gear restrictions on the commercial set nets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Not a chance. They will go to catch and release and barbless hooks. Also gear restrictions on the commercial set nets.
    Thanks for stating the obvious AFTER the EO came out announcing these things.

Ok, but how is this a first for Alaska? C&R with barbless hooks plus gear restrictions on set nets doesn't seem unusual. Or overly restrictive. Or unjustified. Or particularly noteworthy.

This is the first time they have required barbless hooks in a CnR King Fishery in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Thanks for stating the obvious AFTER the EO came out announcing these things.
    Did not see the E..O until after I posted. Just read the management plans which outlines the actions. I do not listen to the radio anymore given all the electronic devices.