Thread: DC001 MASSIVE MONSTER HUGE CARIBOU permit hunt.

Default DC001 MASSIVE MONSTER HUGE CARIBOU permit hunt.

Why not find your trophy caribou now...??? Why not get in top shape for the hunt by scouting now...??? You can pack-in some extra fuel & food on each scouting expedition and cache it (Out of sight). The week before you go in for the harvest you can cache some heavier gear like tents & tarps, etc.. With less gear to "Pack" in on the harvest trip, you could even take in a sled to help haul the load out.

Or you could wait and start a thread titled: "Kenai Mt. Caribou where are they sleeping this weekend......????"

You know this scouting thing could work for other species hunts.........just something to thunk'about.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Why not find your trophy caribou now...??? Why not get in top shape for the hunt by scouting now...??? You can pack-in some extra fuel & food on each scouting expedition and cache it (Out of sight). The week before you go in for the harvest you can cache some heavier gear like tents & tarps, etc.. With less gear to "Pack" in on the harvest trip, you could even take in a sled to help haul the load out.

Or you could wait and start a thread titled: "Kenai Mt. Caribou where are they sleeping this weekend......????"

You know this scouting thing could work for other species hunts.........just something to thunk'about.
    There is actually a big difference between the Kenai caribou and the Nelchina herd. One travels in a pretty limited area and stays there pretty much year round. The other doesn't. If you went to look for where the Nelchina caribou were right now, you can pretty much guarantee that they won't be there come hunting season, or at least the same ones one be there.

Yes, the 001 caribou are in a "limited" area BUT it's a pretty darn big, MOUNTAINOUS area, cut up by drainage after drainage, after drainage. A person "could" get lucky like I did but it was a shot in the dark. But I sure wouldn't plan on the caribou being in one particular area come hunting season that's for sure. They move all over those mountains and it can mean a lot of hard climbing to find them......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You have lost your ever lovin' mind. Scout?? Like with your feet? Pshhhh...

What're you gonna post next? Asking dipnetters to use the porta-potties?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Ha ha ha.... I've done the hunt and put a lot of miles on my feet and seen some great country back up in there. But scouting trips? Enjoy....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    You have lost your ever lovin' mind. Scout?? Like with your feet? Pshhhh...

What're you gonna post next? Asking dipnetters to use the porta-potties?
    I was thinking the same thing. Isn't there an hour-by-hour update on the internet so that "hunters" know exactly where the critters are and they can just dart out and collect their animal and not have to waste their valuable time actually hunting?

We had that service available.......but it seems the market is for locations where the hunter can shoot the trophy from the window of his/her $56,889.00 pick-up truck..........

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Isn't there an hour-by-hour update on the internet so that "hunters" know exactly where the critters are and they can just dart out and collect their animal and not have to waste their valuable time actually hunting?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We had that service available.......but it seems the market is for locations where the hunter can shoot the trophy from the window of his/her $56,889.00 pick-up truck..........
    I clearly can't afford that service...guess I have to do it the old fashioned way!

btw..... this was the "shot in the dark" I was referring to. It was only supposed to be a day hike to check out a place a buddy had killed one before. Ran out of daylight and we ended up sleeping on the side of the mountain with no gear. Luckily it was nice weather. He was up there with the sheep...!!!.....

Very nice "shot in the dark", can't complain about that one.

[QUOTE=4merguide;1409682]btw..... this was the "shot in the dark" I was referring to. It was only supposed to be a day hike to check out a place a buddy had killed one before. Ran out of daylight and we ended up sleeping on the side of the mountain with no gear. Luckily it was nice weather. He was up there with the sheep...!!!.....

At least it was all down hill from there!

[QUOTE=NRick;1409798]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    btw..... this was the "shot in the dark" I was referring to. It was only supposed to be a day hike to check out a place a buddy had killed one before. Ran out of daylight and we ended up sleeping on the side of the mountain with no gear. Luckily it was nice weather. He was up there with the sheep...!!!.....

At least it was all down hill from there!
    Not quite..... the first hump was uphill to the ridge, THEN it was all down hill from there. As a matter of fact we were both about to roll down that hill in the dark, so found a little semi flat spot under some hemlocks to catch a few winks till morning.

Here is a morning shot just about ready to head down the hill again.....