Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blisters ?

Default Blisters ?

What do you guys pack in the field for blisters on the feet from hiking ? I always break in a new pair of boots but always seem like I end up with blisters on my heels. Any tricks to prevent this other then not go hunting
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

If your still getting blisters after break in, your boots don't fit.

In the field I use mile skin and liner socks, they both help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duct tape works pretty good to prevent blisters...or after you get a blister. You could try to toughen up your feet some by running around barefoot. Like Limon says, you're boots don't fit very well if you're getting blisters. Wet or sweaty feet in boots don't help any in the blister dept. either.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Good quality socks.

Break in your feet, not just the boots. You've got to toughen those dogs up.

I think some blisters are pretty much unavoidable and am pretty jealous of those people that never get any.

I soak my boots in warm (Not HOT) water every night for weeks. Inside and outside totally soaked, then wear them all day. Sometimes I put on dry socks after several hours. I keep around thirty pair of hiking boots in varying stages of being broken-in to being fully used-up.

Take a pack of mole skin with you. Foot powder & mole skin are in the same section of the store. When you start to fell a soft spot on your foot, cut out saction of mole skin and stick it over the tender spot and hike on.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I soak my boots in warm (Not HOT) water every night for weeks. Inside and outside totally soaked, then wear them all day. Sometimes I put on dry socks after several hours. I keep around thirty pair of hiking boots in varying stages of being broken-in to being fully used-up.
    Thirty boots?! Wowzers! Are they all the same kind?

No.......but they are all leather. Or mostly leather with some manmade products.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    Thirty boots?! Wowzers! Are they all the same kind?

Only time I've ever had blisters was poorly designed boots. Like stitching up the back. I ran duct tape from the heel up the back of my ankle to help. I am one of those people who spends a lot of time wearing an ankle brace and found its much more comfortable to cinch a strap or duct tape outside the boot rather than a brace rubbing on your foot inside.

I know some guys back in the day (in the Army) who wore chick's nylons/pantyhose against their skin to avoid blisters. It supposedly eliminated the friction that caused blisters. The worse case of blisters I've ever seen (also in the Army) was from wearing wet leather boots and wet wool socks. (Looked like ground beef in the store.)

Mole skin is pretty much your best and only treatment for them. Merino Wool socks will go a long ways toward preventing them. Proper fitting socks that is. I find if I wear socks sized smaller than my feet, I don't get a bunching of extra fabric around the heel or toe and thus, no blisters. With socks that are my size, I get blisters. Cotton socks = LOTS of blisters. (I don't even own cotton socks anymore-not even for my running shoes. Merino Wool for me only now.)

Maybe my boots are a little big then. It's mostly on the heel. I was thinking of putting in a green pair of superfeet in them. Anybody have any luck with them ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Bingo Roger, that's what I was about to suggest. The Superfeet will not only help lock your heel in place, they help keep your whole foot from shifting and elongating too much. That excessive movement can be a real problem. Quality socks, quality insoles (Superfeet) if needed, and a well fitted piece of footwear and your good to go. If you've got the first two dialed in, then you've got a problem with the boots and may simply need to go with something different that fits your foot better. I know for me there are only about two companies that make a boot/shoe last that really fits my foot. Good Luck.

Scott

Get a copy of Fixing Your Feet: injury preventing and treatments for athletes. By John Vonhof.

Full of strategies to prevent and treat blisters. Much more then use mole skin.
    Talks about
    Boot fit
    Pre-taping
    Using lubes to prevent friction
    Socks
    Lacing strategies to prevent rubbing
    Treatments for blisters
    When and why to drain
    How to pad a blister
    Etc etc.....
    Best $20.00 you will spend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Maybe my boots are a little big then. It's mostly on the heel. I was thinking of putting in a green pair of superfeet in them. Anybody have any luck with them ?
    I've been fighting the same problem with some $360 Kennetreks, pisses me off. They are great boots that fit great right up until they were about broke in, then they compressed enough that they are too loose. Insoles didn't help.

Eventually I aired to myself I need to find something else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Superfeet are awesome. I put a pair in my Lowas when new, and have moved them to other boots. Very comfortable, very durable. I wear them standing all day teaching in a classroom. Best $40 I'e spent on my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Lowa/Darn Tough right out of the box in my opinion has been an impossible to beat combo, zero break in. Perhaps they dont work for you, I know everyone is a little different. On occasion I'll swap out the insole but pretty much only after a couple weeks on the original. I just picked up some Tibet Hi's but have a couple pairs of Tibets and Hunters currently in various stages of wear. One set of each with hex heads in the sole for icy grip. I had terrible heel issues in a few different brands around 2000 until I got in the Lowas, cant say enough good and im in them with a pack around 200 days a year. Good luck figuring it out.
    I don't ubderstand why everyone rates those Lowas so high. I've had two pair and both were crap crap and more crap. I'm wearing a par now that, in less than year, I've had the heels replaced ($35) and now the sides are separating from the soles near the toes. These were an REI replacement (back when they actually replaced stuff you returned) for another pair of Lows that the uppers separated from the soles. Yeah, those Lowas are crazy awesome.....Pieces of S#!7.

I like using the new blister pads. I have several different brands - this is an example http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...971&kpid=79971

They seem to stick well and last a long time and don't ball up as much as mole skin for me.

While I rarely get blisters, I actually got a couple last week. The originating cause was likely the sand I had on my feet in my sandals I was running around in all weekend...I wrapped them in some Leukotape-P for 20 miles of hiking with my newer hunting boots and it was like the blisters weren't even there. If you search around online, there are several good hunting forum discussions and Leukotape-P is almost always the preferred recommendation for blisters. You can leave the stuff on for days, it's very thin, and it just flat out works.

Do you use the cover tape with it also?

I have used sports tape and the stretchy underlayment like used for ankles and such in football and it stops the rubbing very good also. The Leukotape-P sounds like it would do even better.

I did not use any cover tape, just the Leukotape by itself. It looks very similar to some of the medical tapes, but is thinner and the adhesive really stays put. Be warned if you have any hair on your upper part of your foot....it'll be gone when you take the tape off. Rip it off quickly is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I did not use any cover tape, just the Leukotape by itself. It looks very similar to some of the medical tapes, but is thinner and the adhesive really stays put. Be warned if you have any hair on your upper part of your foot....it'll be gone when you take the tape off. Rip it off quickly is all I can say.
    Where did you buy this tape? Sounds like cheap insurance to me!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast