Thread: 2 Simple Question

Default 2 Simple Question

OK, gang.... Need or would at least really appreciate thoughts and insights...really appreciate this forum

- if the choice is between Wooldridge Alaskan XL and a Wooldridge Supersport drifter (both 20/21' and both w outboard jets), which one? Mission is to get, in the words of #1 son, a kick-azs riverboat......but a lazy afternoon on Big Lake every so often might be nice in my view

- for a 200 hp jet outboard, suggested make is.....?

Decisions, decisions!

Must define kick azz as my definition doesn't include an outboard ...

Both are great, go basically the same places, SSD will ride a bit nicer but will need just a touch more water to step...both handle well...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

If I were in the market it would be a SSD inboard with a cabin and a kerosene heater.

Gents...thanks for the rapid feedback.

I was concerned about space issues, cost, weight, and noise for the inboard: didn't want either the space occupied or weight of a V-6; didn't want the noise of a sportjet....fully recognizing that the word is that the sportjet boats are getting less noisy as time goes by.

I also had the admittedly very unrealistic thought that if HP restrictions come to the rivers (as per recent ADF&G regulations on the little Su) in the Mat-Su that it would be easier to switch outboards than buy a new boat....again, probably neither realistic nor practical, but a wild hair sort of thought.

"...sportjet boats are getting less noisy as time goes by." Hearing loss??

Let us know how your search ends up. My Wife can't understand why every boat choice I think about starts with "Wooldridge".

tjm: did you run your XL up the Little Su? I watched the mini-jetboat vids the other day and was thinking even with those small boats the Little Su and Upper Deshka looked pretty small. "Hope no one is coming the other way."

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    "...

tjm: did you run your XL up the Little Su? I watched the mini-jetboat vids the other day and was thinking even with those small boats the Little Su and Upper Deshka looked pretty small. "Hope no one is coming the other way."

Yes, little su and upper deshka are easy runs (borderline boring) only real danger is, like you said oncoming traffic...I've run the XL 17 miles above the forks on the deshka, only thing that stopped us from getting to petersville road was lack of fuel...

Those little boats are definitely cool, I've been eyeing one for years, but you dont need a mini boat to access the upper stretches of the creeks...they don't run any shallower than most sleds...they do look like more fun though ...i do fear that as they gain more and more popularity we'll see more boats in the narrower creeks and if everyone isn't smart about being safe it is only a matter of time before we see some brutal crashes between oncoming boats...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

kick ***** jetboat. Gotta have a v-8. nothing sounds bettere than a v-8 running a river. Takes up space....yes. Kids and adults alike love to sit on the dog house, heck they ride back there more than on the padded bench seats. As for fuel economy. 8-10 gph on my boat. my buddies fish rite 18' with 4 stroke 115 O|B jet doesnt do much better

T-- my buddy had one of those mini jets built this winter by Riddle. That is one impressive dingy. If it is wet it will run. No wait let me refrase that, if it is damp it will run.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Give us some more info on intended uses. Camping, fishing and in lakes, rivers and near shore ocean? Small kids? Dippin on the kenai? Moose and bear hunting? Long trips around the Yukon and Tanana? Those questions drive the boat purchase. The outboard gives more room, is more convenient, but you sacrifice power and load hauling. The inboard is easier to work on and has WAY more power to carry a heavy load. I had a Kick AZZ outboard alaskan and traded for a kick Azz inboard extra plus to haul more weight. Both were excellent boats, they just are different tools.

What a luck son you have.

pa12drvr, I've been in the exact same decision making process for about a year now. Been a huge fan of the XL, but after we just moved up here to AK permanently a few months ago, we're leaning towards the SSD because it will give us just a bit more versatility. Went through all the considerations with Grant and Danny at Wooldridge and they agreed. Really can't go wrong either way, but like Daved said, identifying the intended use will help make the final decision. Give the gang at Wooldridge a call and talk through it with them. They'll give you great input. Good Luck!

21' SSD with a 6.0/212. Half the noise of a sportjet or outboard and in my opinion, waaay more "kickazz."

So...intended use? Still somewhat of an open question but I'll be based in Los Anchorage so....

- Up the Knik for grins and a fun afternoon: Definite requirement
    - Su, Little Su, Deshka at various locations: Definite requirement
    - 20 mile: Hopefully
    - Alexander creek: Hopefully...or get comfortable landing the PA-12 there.
    - Mostly with the goal of fishing, otherwise using "fishing" as an excuse to get into the woods for a weekend.
    - Copper river dipnetting
    - Infrequent trips into the interior and going out from there....but might have big load/long trip ideas if I head to that part of the state.
    - Infrequent trips pulling the grandkids on Big Lake or similar....don't want to rule that out.
    - No Kenai river
    - Nearshore from Ninilchik, Homer, Seward is nice to think about but probably pretty unlikely...and wouldn't mind ruling that out.

Really appreciate the insights and advice. It's tough to be spending most of this summer in Ewe-stun, but looking forward to a soon return to AK.

Yup.

The super sport with an outboard will get you everything you want. It will be a nicer ride, has TONS of room with the forward helm and the outboard. Handles great. Will take you to all the south central rivers that have fish in them and will be more forgiving in the salt. It is built excellent and holds it's value. Don't skimp on horsepower. It is an easy trap, but usually is regretted. Get the wash down pump and a good way to have the kicker out of the way. Ask the Wooldridges about towing skiers and tubes around with the outboard. Not sure about the rope.

Congrats.

You have a beautiful PA-12 and you need a boat for an excuse to get into the woods? :-)

I have lots of hours in a Wooly Xtra Plus with a 200 Merc. Great boat. It was a poor bay boat, not much better as a lake boat, but a really great river boat. I had a destination/mission and that boat fit my needs perfectly (no accident, it was not my first boat). An inboard would be better in the bay and lake but would need slightly more water in the river, or the driver will need lots more muscle to push it off the sandbars. The big advantage of the inboard is a heater and the overall comfort of a heavier boat. Different strengths for different priorities. The Little Su is a very different mission than cruising the Yentna up to Hewitt. Both are fun. Being that you're asking these questions I take it you and #1 son aren't old pros on the rivers? Like airplanes, there's a learning curve. Enjoy the ride.

SB

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    You have a beautiful PA-12 and you need a boat for an excuse to get into the woods? :-)
    The big advantage of the inboard is a heater and the overall comfort of a heavier boat. Being that you're asking these questions I take it you and #1 son aren't old pros....
    SB
    SB...insightful comments as usual.

- PA-12 with 3 alleged seats: Seats and weight math doesn't work with 1 fat pilot, 3 GK's, and a wife and son that (all for some strange reason) like to go along. No. 1 son and wife are getting increasingly "agitated" and saying "All you do is take GK #1 flying with you." Daughter and DIL have an arm's length relationship with flying in any case, not just me. Until the right aircraft upgrade falls into my lap, a boat would be a good excuse to take more along on more activities.

- Heater is important since I think the best time of the year is in the fall; fishing may be nothing more than an excuse to be out at that time, but it's still my favorite time to go and comfort of pax is important.

- "old pros"? : No. 1 son has lots of hours as a passenger. Many decades ago, when I was 19 - 23, I spent a couple of years where I averaged (between "job" and recreation) about 180 or so nights/year in a tent or at least away from civilization. A small part of that was quite a few trips up river in my rigid hull inflatable with a 35 hp prop engine. While there were a few times when I said to myself "how the heck did I get up here, more importantly, how the he** do I get back", there is no semblance of knowledge, much less expertise.

Certainly won't give up the PA-12, but looking for the right battery of toys to enjoy Alaska completely once again. I prolly won't be asking the forum for help on sno-gos, however. The wife's preference is definitive enough that I have no choice on that.