Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Upper Kenai Float for Trout

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default Upper Kenai Float for Trout

    My brother and I will be camping on the upper Kenai from 7/26 - 8/22 for our annual trip. Problem this year is our buddy that we float with usually will be out of town on work. So we are hoping that we can meet up with some new people and maybe get an open seat for rainbows. We know how to fish and have all the right gear also ready to trade off on the sticks. I'm hoping to break the 20lb mark this year as I haven't landed him yet.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I'd be happy to pay for your parking and we can shuttle the rig.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I'll throw in a burger and beer at the Sunrise café when we're done too.

  4. #4
    Member ChugiakTinkerer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I live and work in Anchorage but will probably be making a few floats down the river in that time frame. If you're still looking for boats then send me a PM and we can swap phone numbers.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I live and work in Anchorage but will probably be making a few floats down the river in that time frame. If you're still looking for boats then send me a PM and we can swap phone numbers.
    I'm definitely still looking. I tried to send a PM but nothing happened so maybe I cant send yet.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Can't seem to send a PM, maybe you could send me one???

  7. #7
    Member ChugiakTinkerer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    682

    Default

    PM sent just now.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    You can rent drift boats and rafts in Sterling too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    You can rent drift boats and rafts in Sterling too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We've done that before and their boats were not set up very well and end up costing almost as much as a guide. Thanks for the idea anyway and we'll probably do it at least once.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Hey,
    I just moved to Alaska a few weeks ago and bought a 17' Aire Cataraft. I havent taken it out yet. Im definitely down for a float or two. Im know drift boats well, but never been down on a cataraft. I think it can seat 3 + a rower and a **** ton of gear. You can email me at bsutoehead@hotmail.com or PM me here

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Hey,
    I just moved to Alaska a few weeks ago and bought a 17' Aire Cataraft. I havent taken it out yet. Im definitely down for a float or two. Im know drift boats well, but never been down on a cataraft. I think it can seat 3 + a rower and a **** ton of gear. You can email me at bsutoehead@hotmail.com or PM me here
    I've run a cat before so I'm sure we can figure it out together. I sent you an email with my phone #.
    I haven't been down through the canyon yet and would like to explore that stretch sometime if anyone is up for it.

  12. #12
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    We've done that before and their boats were not set up very well and end up costing almost as much as a guide. Thanks for the idea anyway and we'll probably do it at least once.
    Max @ Alaska Canoe & Campground does have at least one drift boat for rent which fishes just like any other drift boat you will find out there. As for cost I think my buddy is paying somewhere in the $600-$700 range for a weeks use in September.
    If you look @ the cost of a guided trip @ $250 PP you will find it to be a pretty good deal.

    http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/rafting.html

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Max @ Alaska Canoe & Campground does have at least one drift boat for rent which fishes just like any other drift boat you will find out there. As for cost I think my buddy is paying somewhere in the $600-$700 range for a weeks use in September.
    If you look @ the cost of a guided trip @ $250 PP you will find it to be a pretty good deal.

    http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/rafting.html
    That's the boat I rented before and by the time we paid for rental and shuttle it was almost $300 for the day. We don't need a guide just for a boat ride so we would rather make a few new friends and take turns on the sticks.

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Talked to the guys and sounds like they're having a good time. They are still interested in a float if anyone's going within the next few weeks....

  15. #15
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    That's the boat I rented before and by the time we paid for rental and shuttle it was almost $300 for the day. We don't need a guide just for a boat ride so we would rather make a few new friends and take turns on the sticks.
    Who did you shuttle with? I do that 2-3 times in a 2 week period and it costs me no more than $35 for a shuttle. Trying to figure out where the other $150 went? He charges me about $100 a day for his drift boats
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

    Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Who did you shuttle with? I do that 2-3 times in a 2 week period and it costs me no more than $35 for a shuttle. Trying to figure out where the other $150 went? He charges me about $100 a day for his drift boats
    I contacted him just the other day, he quoted me about $160 for the rental, and $45 for a mid river spot. Much more expensive for an upper river spot. Said he charges 1 or 1.50 per mile.

  17. #17
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Ouch. Call Wildman's or there was another working the upper for spots as well. Lost the card, but they were either $25 or $35 each. Or hitch hike it, if you're in waders you'll get picked up.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

    Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

  18. #18
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    . Or hitch hike it, if you're in waders you'll get picked up.
    Yep!!!
    Never had to wait more than 5 mins for a lift.

  19. #19
    Member IndyCzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake
    Posts
    351

    Default

    wildmans is a reliable...45 bucks the bridge to Jims...

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I'm back in Oregon now and we had a great time again this year. We only got to float the river once while we were there because of the river level and the price it cost to rent. We rented from Wildmans and floated the lake to Jims. 150$ for the boat, 65$ to shuttle the boat and 45$ to shuttle my car. Ended up with 8 or 9 bows in the 20-24 inch range and small ones. We actually did better from the bank most of the time but it's tough landing anything over 22 inch in the big water on the lower river.
    Thanks to all who offered to take us, we can try again next year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •