Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rules for all Archers come 2016

Post New Rules for all Archers come 2016

I was just notified that Fish & Game has passed a new rule. Anyone using a Bow & Arrow come July 1, 2016 in any unit for any species will be required to complete and pass a Bowhunter Education course and must have the Certificate with them while hunting, along with your hunting license and species tags. Thanks Cook Inlet Archery Club for sharing that info with me.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

For your viewing pleasure, I have attached the link to ADF&G Education site to learn the options available.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ered.bowhunter

The online course is pretty simple, and I actually learned something.

Here is a long thread about this earlier this spring: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...irement-Passes

Good Rule ...I love it !!!!

ive been saying this for years. im glade they did it

Be nice if they made firearm shooters take a proficiency test as well as bowhunters. Lets say hit a pie plate at 100 yards offhand. Similar to the requirement that bowhunters hit the kill ring at 15-25 yards.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

There is an accuracy requirement in Basic Hunter Education. It's not too tough, but it is there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I am glad they enacted this requirement but I will admit that when I took my bow cert, I was quite disappointed in how easy it was. I went in hoping to learn a ton and have a difficult test to get the cert. That was not the case at all. More of a check-the-block type training.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Soo the ibhep card will work? This is great just trying to figure out the ground work.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Yes that is the card that will be required of every bowhunter
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

They could solve all these 'cert' problems by simply requiring anyone who wants to procreate take a ten year course on 'parenting and life' skills before having children. Let's just get to the root of the problem, shall we?
    (insert poor children, animals in misery, and que the sappy music).
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    I am glad they enacted this requirement but I will admit that when I took my bow cert, I was quite disappointed in how easy it was. I went in hoping to learn a ton and have a difficult test to get the cert. That was not the case at all. More of a check-the-block type training.
    19 people in my class, 9 failed the written test the first time, 3 the second time.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

I obtained my bowhunter cert a few decades ago. I was lucky enough to draw a JBER tag this coming winter and found I also have to have the Basic Hunter Ed card as well. Many of the draw tags are now requiring "everyone" to have this course regardless of when you are born (I am old enough for the free lifetime license, i.e. born before the 60's). I did the first half online and the second half last night in Palmer. Lots of good information, the only slightly negative thing was being tested on personal opinion and not legal requirements...I like hearing other's views on ethics, but legal requirements are mandatory and should take priority IMHO. Well worth the time, even at my age
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

This new rule is great. This will help the image of bow hunters with hopefully more educated hunters slinging arrows.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I wonder if the bowhunter education class I took way back in 1982 in NY State will suffice? I called NY and they are sending me a new card since I lost the original long ago.

Im sure taking this class will help EVERYONE. (Sarcasm) I know back when i took my regular hunters ed class when i was 10 all i got was a bunch of good laughs because the instructor and his family had blown up more rifles/shotguns by accidently dropping the wrong ammo in it. Or accidently shot each other with shotguns while bird hunting. I've never had bowhunters safety, but I've made my own and shot bows since before i was trusted with a shotgun, I've known a couple of compound hunters with their bowhunter's safety card for the reason others said, it gets you into hunts sooner or that you might not get into with just your rifle. Complaining to me that they wasted an archery season missing deer that shot at at 65 yards and a antelope they took a 55yard shot at, they scoffed at me when i said that i would never consider shooting at a animal that far off, even after i told them the last 2 deer i shot were both with my bow and 1 was at 10 feet the other at about 15 yards. So instead of teaching people how to line up their bow sights and pull the trigger on their arrow flinging device. Lets also make mandatory a woods/hunting course that teaches you how to sneak up on/track animals so they are not taking rediculous shots making bowhunters look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradbow84 View Post
    Im sure taking this class will help EVERYONE. (Sarcasm) I know back when i took my regular hunters ed class when i was 10 all i got was a bunch of good laughs because the instructor and his family had blown up more rifles/shotguns by accidently dropping the wrong ammo in it. Or accidently shot each other with shotguns while bird hunting. I've never had bowhunters safety, but I've made my own and shot bows since before i was trusted with a shotgun, I've known a couple of compound hunters with their bowhunter's safety card for the reason others said, it gets you into hunts sooner or that you might not get into with just your rifle. Complaining to me that they wasted an archery season missing deer that shot at at 65 yards and a antelope they took a 55yard shot at, they scoffed at me when i said that i would never consider shooting at a animal that far off, even after i told them the last 2 deer i shot were both with my bow and 1 was at 10 feet the other at about 15 yards. So instead of teaching people how to line up their bow sights and pull the trigger on their arrow flinging device. Lets also make mandatory a woods/hunting course that teaches you how to sneak up on/track animals so they are not taking rediculous shots making bowhunters look bad.
    Well you can make a class like this mandatory but unfortunately it comes down to the individual hunter. Just making them take a class won't make them make good choices. I took the class back in the mid 90's and I was only 14 at the time and even then I thought it was too easy of a course even though only me and one other of the dozen or so in my class passed the shooting portion. I think you only had to hit 60% of the shots. Personally I think you should have to be able to shoot better than that to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I obtained my bowhunter cert a few decades ago. I was lucky enough to draw a JBER tag this coming winter and found I also have to have the Basic Hunter Ed card as well. Many of the draw tags are now requiring "everyone" to have this course regardless of when you are born (I am old enough for the free lifetime license, i.e. born before the 60's). I did the first half online and the second half last night in Palmer. Lots of good information, the only slightly negative thing was being tested on personal opinion and not legal requirements...I like hearing other's views on ethics, but legal requirements are mandatory and should take priority IMHO. Well worth the time, even at my age
    Roger, I agree with you. I too drew a JBER winter tag and like you born pre '60s but had to take the Hunters Ed course. Online corse was easy and class was mostly just stories. And lot of personal opinions and not legal requirements. Bow hunt cert wasn't much different. Instructor even let one guy takes third shot because a bug flew into his face and he swatted at it and hit trigger to his release. NO one failed the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    I wonder if the bowhunter education class I took way back in 1982 in NY State will suffice? I called NY and they are sending me a new card since I lost the original long ago.
    Yes it will. I took mine in 1976(?) ad it was accepted.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've never been checked to see if I had the card except when hunting on JBER. I know here on the Kenai there are a pile of people who go out during the archery season who have never taken the course and obtained the card. They are never checked. Seeing F&W protection officers in the field seems to be a thing of the past.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast