Thread: Bear fence for Slope hunt?

Default Bear fence for Slope hunt?

Does everybody use a bear fence when floating the rivers, like the Ivishak? In looking at the various videos, sometimes a fence is very obvious, and sometimes you don't see them. Same with the stories. Some people make a point of mentioning them, and others don't say anything about th

We didn't because it was left in the garage.

A couple floating the Hulahula River was killed by a brown bear in June 05. Not sure if they had firearms or not.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I took two on both of my Ivishak hunts. One for the camp - one for the boat, meat, cooking area. We were never bothered by bears and only saw one on our first trip that ran out of the brush to the riverside as we floated by.

Here is one of my camps on the Ivishak a few years back. A bear fence might not be absolutely necessary but it was worth the piece of mind to me knowing something wouldn't be messing with the raft, tent, or meat at night or while I was away from camp. I just take one fence and if I harvest something will put the meat, food, and raft in the fence and set the tent up upwind a distance.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the idea of a chewed-up raft is not appealing at all. Looks like we may need to learn up about electric fences. We have never used them, but have not done this kind of hunt, where you're rafting and camping with possibly a load of of meat, and then leaving camp to try to get some more caribou. If we were flying ourselves, after we got the meat, we packed up and went home!
    Any other comments or info are very welcomed.

Wise old man once told me "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure". This most definitely applies here, properly packed shouldn't take up much space or be that heavy.

Anyone have problems with bears getting into your vehicles up on the haul road when you hike back in? I will be leaving some canned food and probably some crackers and such in my truck while I am out hunting for up to 2 weeks.

We were up their last July/Aug. Took 8. 4' pieces if rebar and an electric fence . Worked will. Insulators that would attach to the rebar,a roll of wire and a charger. Had caribou hanging at camp and no bears.

I made my own bear fence for a trip this year. Mostly I had concerns because there is a chance we will be leaving our raft and tent unoccupied for a few days and I didn't want to return to a thrashed raft. I don't know if I ever updated a thread here on this forum but there is a link that I had handy on another forum.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showt...DIY-Bear-Fence