Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Don't Let this happen in PWS

  1. #1
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    801

    Default Don't Let this happen in PWS

    Juneau Area Section 11-A Closed to Personal Use and Sport Shrimp Fishing July 1, 2013

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...HR-E-14-13.pdf


    So they close all shrimping, which needs to be done, but shouldn't the problem have been intercepted before this had to happen? Not trying to make this into a sport/personal use Vs commercial bash thread.

    Just don't want to see this happen in PWS.

  2. #2
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    Good luck with that. It is going to happen. Too much pressure. The ADFG will fubar it............

  3. #3

    Default

    Way too many HUMANS in Alaska. All yelling, mine, mine, mine, "Mommy, he got more than me". People love Alaska for what they can "GET". For what they are entitled to "GET". Hundreds of thousands of more humans will migrate to Alaska, in the coming years. Each wanting to "RAPE" the land, few, very few willing to just hike into the wilderness for the only objective being what they can keep in their memory. Not to kill something, but the only goal being the Pure Bliss of Being Alone in the Wilderness.

    Now days humans race year-around (Mostly on Machines) all thirsty for the harvest of what they can kill. It is not that it is wrong, it is that it is wrong with hundreds of thousands of humans all mad for the killing of what ever is legal to kill......be it fish or game. The problem is the thundering HOARDS of humans.

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Original post is spot on!! Don't let this happen in your area, where ever that may be.

    Red king crab in this area is also shut down as well. Overfished.

    I've fished this area for almost 4 decades and it should have been monitored better by ADFG and us - including me! Hopefully things change on the bag limits if it ever returns.

    Doesn't PWS have an allocation system for the comm guys? I think that might be the best thing for here, at least in the near Juneau 11A zone..

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Hoyt-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su Valley
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Way too many HUMANS in Alaska. All yelling, mine, mine, mine, "Mommy, he got more than me". People love Alaska for what they can "GET". For what they are entitled to "GET". Hundreds of thousands of more humans will migrate to Alaska, in the coming years. Each wanting to "RAPE" the land, few, very few willing to just hike into the wilderness for the only objective being what they can keep in their memory. Not to kill something, but the only goal being the Pure Bliss of Being Alone in the Wilderness.

    Now days humans race year-around (Mostly on Machines) all thirsty for the harvest of what they can kill. It is not that it is wrong, it is that it is wrong with hundreds of thousands of humans all mad for the killing of what ever is legal to kill......be it fish or game. The problem is the thundering HOARDS of humans.
    I have said the same thing so many times, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

  6. #6
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Juneau Area Section 11-A Closed to Personal Use and Sport Shrimp Fishing July 1, 2013

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...HR-E-14-13.pdf


    So they close all shrimping, which needs to be done, but shouldn't the problem have been intercepted before this had to happen? Not trying to make this into a sport/personal use Vs commercial bash thread.

    Just don't want to see this happen in PWS.
    First of all, the shrimp season in Southeast is much different than PWS. In PWS there is only a short opening time when everyone races out and laces up the entire sound with shrimp pots. Here in Southeast the shrimp season is open all year; 365 days. So in a way, "it" has already happened in PWS, long before here. Too many people equates to overfishing in easily accessible areas near towns.

    Glad we don't have that problem over here on the outside. Shrimping is still open all year and our stocks are healthy. Of course we don't have a huge population like Juneau. As an added bonus, we still have a 10 month long Red King crab personal use fishery that started July 1st...

    ...Speaking of which; I better thaw some more bait and go check my pots on Friday.

  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    First of all, the shrimp season in Southeast is much different than PWS. In PWS there is only a short opening time when everyone races out and laces up the entire sound with shrimp pots. Here in Southeast the shrimp season is open all year; 365 days. So in a way, "it" has already happened in PWS, long before here. Too many people equates to overfishing in easily accessible areas near towns.

    Glad we don't have that problem over here on the outside. Shrimping is still open all year and our stocks are healthy. Of course we don't have a huge population like Juneau. As an added bonus, we still have a 10 month long Red King crab personal use fishery that started July 1st...

    ...Speaking of which; I better thaw some more bait and go check my pots on Friday.
    Yeah they race out from april 15th to sept 15th and lace up the sound with 5 pots per boat but there are a average of 3000 rec permits issued every year.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Juneau,AK
    Posts
    152

    Default

    A little insight into how adfg came to this closure.....they have one sample area (which is a well known close to auke bay area) they also used the test pot results from one commercial boat.....adfg will be asked at a local ac meeting how and why this came to be. This is not a case of rec vs commercial..it is a case of poor sampling.

  9. #9
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yeah they race out from april 15th to sept 15th and lace up the sound with 5 pots per boat but there are a average of 3000 rec permits issued every year.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Nonetheless a 6 month period with 3000 boats fishing 15,000 pots is a lot compared to where I live. We can fish a larger area, with less people, with 20 pots per boat, and our season is twice as long. So I guess we're spoiled down here.

  10. #10
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Way too many HUMANS in Alaska. All yelling, mine, mine, mine, "Mommy, he got more than me". People love Alaska for what they can "GET". For what they are entitled to "GET". Hundreds of thousands of more humans will migrate to Alaska, in the coming years. Each wanting to "RAPE" the land, few, very few willing to just hike into the wilderness for the only objective being what they can keep in their memory. Not to kill something, but the only goal being the Pure Bliss of Being Alone in the Wilderness.

    Now days humans race year-around (Mostly on Machines) all thirsty for the harvest of what they can kill. It is not that it is wrong, it is that it is wrong with hundreds of thousands of humans all mad for the killing of what ever is legal to kill......be it fish or game. The problem is the thundering HOARDS of humans.
    I fear you are right. I don't know which is worse: the "I'm gonna get all I can get!" crowd, or the "Don't touch it, it's wild nature!" crowd. Either way, if you love the way Alaska used to be, you are screwed.

  11. #11
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aksigns View Post
    Original post is spot on!! Don't let this happen in your area, where ever that may be.

    Red king crab in this area is also shut down as well. Overfished.

    I've fished this area for almost 4 decades and it should have been monitored better by ADFG and us - including me! Hopefully things change on the bag limits if it ever returns.

    Doesn't PWS have an allocation system for the comm guys? I think that might be the best thing for here, at least in the near Juneau 11A zone..
    I think it's already happening, and the bulk of the shrimp are taken by sports fishermen, not the comm fleet.

    Sadly the track record for ADF&G is to wait a season or two past the point that a fishery has obviously crashed before taking action.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Paul H. I agree that someone is asleep at ADFG on monitoring the red king crab and shrimp fisheries down here in the Juneau area, but I don't think sport take is even close to that of the com fleet. Check these numbers out for shrimp.

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...vest_shrimppot

  13. #13
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aksigns View Post
    Paul H. I agree that someone is asleep at ADFG on monitoring the red king crab and shrimp fisheries down here in the Juneau area, but I don't think sport take is even close to that of the com fleet. Check these numbers out for shrimp.

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...vest_shrimppot
    I think he was referring to PWS, not southeast.

  14. #14
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    The PWS PU fleet has slightly more allocation than the commercial shrimp fleet. I would not say that the Personal Use shrimpers harvest the "bulk" of them - not if you believe the harvest reports.

    I don't remember the numbers exactly, but I believe that the commercial fleet was limited to about 66K pounds and the PU is just a little higher than that.

    At least the comm shrimpers have to rotate areas. The PU group pounds the he!! out of the same close in areas year after year after year.

  15. #15
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The PWS PU fleet has slightly more allocation than the commercial shrimp fleet. I would not say that the Personal Use shrimpers harvest the "bulk" of them - not if you believe the harvest reports.

    I don't remember the numbers exactly, but I believe that the commercial fleet was limited to about 66K pounds and the PU is just a little higher than that.

    At least the comm shrimpers have to rotate areas. The PU group pounds the he!! out of the same close in areas year after year after year.
    Commfish gets 40% and sport/PU get 60%

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...p_2013gass.pdf
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  16. #16
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    Thanks for posting that. That is the report that the ADFG showed last winter during the seminars.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •