Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you do it?

Default How did you do it?

We have been trying to work towards moving to AK from Pa. How did you thin down your stuff? I have read suggestions that people should bring less. I have been trying to sell a really nice motorcycle with low miles for two
    years now. Things just don't seem to be selling. We had a yard sale and priced things
    really low but didn't sell much. I am seeing a lot of craigslist ads that were advertised last year. People
    just don't seem to be buying much. How did you do it? How long did it take you?

It's tough because we are older w/kids and have a lifetime collection of stuff. I have come to love it when something breaks because
    I can just throw it away.

I hate to be blunt but if you really wanted to move here your stuff would be gone.
    Lower the price on your motorcycle $200 a month until it sells. Even if you sell it for less than you owe at least you are rid of it and not making payments on it anymore.
    When my wife does a garage sale the prices get lower everyday. In the end she usually gets rid of everything that way. That's the point anyway. To get rid of things. Making a few $$$ is just a bonus.
    If you truly want to get rid of things and move to AK you will do it.
    Even if some things get donated to the salvation army.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I guess what I'm saying is what I didn't sell and couldn't take I just gave away to friends of mine.
    I made it happen as I was bound and determined to get up here.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We are all slaves, as we are owned by out possessions. We think we are wealthy because we can point to our possessions. A truly wealthy man is a man who is blissful with nothing. Freedom really is just another word for nothing left to loose.

For myself, I am my wealthiest with a 44# back pack, quality boots, above timberline, with fair weather, new country to explore, and no set return date.

There are so many places you can get a Million Dollar View for FREE in Alaska.

Made the move up three times first in 64. I never had to think about comming up just started filling truck till full and hit the road.Memories are locked in my head not some object.Leaving Alaska takes months or years to prepare,if not you probably didn't fit here.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Chris nailed it.

We were fortunate in that as a young couple we didn't have many possessions. What we couldn't sell at a garage sale, we either gave away or put on the side of the street with a sign that said free for the taking. We even had to increase the size of the pile when I realized our trailer was over loaded.

When the value of getting rid of something out weighs keeping it, you'll price it accordingly or give it away.

No offense to the o/p but I've been to quite a few garage sales where most of the items belong in the dump.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

There are so many places you can get a Million Dollar View for FREE in Alaska.
    Better yet, most of the best views in Alaska only cost the effort to get there.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I guess we've got to keep working at it. We have narrowed things down a lot but still have a long ways to go.
    The easiest thing to sell was probably our coop and chickens. The hardest has been my hardly used motorcycle.
    I have burnt some things, sold some, tried to push a lot off on my sister. We have given a lot to the Salvation Army.

All the things I want to keep are heavy. Things like a wood splitter, generator, tools, atv, one of two boats, etc...
    People just don't seem to be buying much around here. I wanted to buy a enclosed trailer with the motorcycle money.

My brother-in-law has lived in Juneau for around 16 or so years. But they didn't have kids or many possessions when they moved up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowchaser View Post
    I have read suggestions that people should bring less.
    I guess my question is... Are you trying to pare down because it will help you move... Or because you "read a suggestion" that you should?

And if it's the second reason... Why on earth would someone suggest that you should bring less? I've been all over this country after 20 years in the military... And I can tell you that people have just as much stuff here as anywhere else. In fact, looking at your list (log splitter, atv, a couple of boats...) you're going to fit right in.

(unless, of course, you're planning to buy a condo in Anchorage, in which case... I suggest you bring less stuff) :-)

We have been getting smaller for almost a year now. Our philosophy has been if we don't use it, we craigslist it. So many things we have, have little to no value these days. I have no time or inclination to continue to house and pay for things that serve to purpose other then to take up space. Knickknacks and such are donated to charity. The phrase we use in the house is this, " If your clothes don't fit into two totes, get rid of it" or " If it doesn't fit in the Jeep when we move, sell it".

One fire proof box - Paperwork, SDD with photos and memories, hard copy photos of meaning
    Two totes each for clothes, shoes and such.
    One Tote for Kitchen
    One Tote for Housewares
    Sporting goods
    Two Totes for bedding/pillows/blankets
    The bed boxes up.
    One dinette set
    One teacher table
    One Pelican Case of Electronics
    Tools
    Tractor

Done.........The rest will go........

You might consider the tax advantages of donations, might help some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been trying to work towards moving to AK from Pa. How did you thin down your stuff? I have read suggestions that people should bring less. I have been trying to sell a really nice motorcycle with low miles for two
    years now. Things just don't seem to be selling. We had a yard sale and priced things
    really low but didn't sell much. I am seeing a lot of craigslist ads that were advertised last year. People
    just don't seem to be buying much. How did you do it? How long did it take you?

It's tough because we are older w/kids and have a lifetime collection of stuff. I have come to love it when something breaks because
    I can just throw it away.
    Well it's called storage. Lol.

We we moved up a little over two years ago. 10 days of prep. House and all furnishings sat for first year. Then we visited and packed up and sold what we could. Did a yard sale it was ok. Donated a lot of stuff and wrote off in taxes. Big stuff (living room bedroom stuff) we put in storage and tried to sell this summer but didn't let it to for price. Still storing it. I sold my motorcycle for less than I owed but that was ok. Can't ride a Harley in the bush.

We've debated the storage fees vs buying all new again. Wife would eventually like to get to the road which means we'd need house furnishings. However this is the last year we pay for storage.

Just start throwing stuff away that belongs to your wife. Then throw your own stuff away. You'll find neither of you miss any of that stuff.

When I came to Alaska, I just got in the car and drove. (I shipped my tools.)

Quote Originally Posted by jrowland View Post
    I guess my question is... Are you trying to pare down because it will help you move... Or because you "read a suggestion" that you should?

And if it's the second reason... Why on earth would someone suggest that you should bring less? I've been all over this country after 20 years in the military... And I can tell you that people have just as much stuff here as anywhere else. In fact, looking at your list (log splitter, atv, a couple of boats...) you're going to fit right in.

(unless, of course, you're planning to buy a condo in Anchorage, in which case... I suggest you bring less stuff) :-)
    I replied earlier but the post didn't go through.
    We have been looking for information from different sources. I have read where people have suggested selling stuff and then buying
    more in Alaska. We have also talked to a couple people in Alaska that have suggested the same. I would love to be able to just have everything we
    own appear in Alaska at our new home. I usually save things for a second purpose. So I usually never need to rush to a store for parts,
    nuts, bolts, etc... I guess I have hit a point in my life where I feel like things hold us down. But still have a hard time letting go of some things.
    But we have sold and given away a lot so far.
    While trying to figure out the capacity of the trailer I would like to get after the motorcycle sells, I realized that it is going to fill up quick. So I started to read about shipping companies. I read that it could cost something like 2.18 per pound for shipping. Our gym equipment would be very helpful during the winter months in Alaska. My dumbbells alone would cost more to ship than they originally cost to buy. Then there's the tools, atv, splitter, etc... I wish I could talk one of my tractor trailer driving cousins into driving some stuff up through Canada.
    I have also been reading about moving things like ammunition. The ferry limit is something like 65 pounds. I would hate to sell ammo right now considering how hard it is to find. But I would also hate to mail it up just to have it lost in the mail. We bought my father-in-law a camera once and someone stole it somewhere along the way. We had it insured but they didn't want to pay because they said they delivered it. We had to push for them to honor the insurance.
    We might rent our current home to a family member. If so, we could leave some things stored here. So the most important thing would be to sell my motorcycle right now. We try to make some kind of progress each day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Just start throwing stuff away that belongs to your wife. Then throw your own stuff away. You'll find neither of you miss any of that stuff.
    My wife is better at throwing things away. Especially if the things are mine. I just try not to look.

I replied earlier but the post didn't go through.
    We have been looking for information from different sources. I have read where people have suggested selling stuff and then buying
    more in Alaska. We have also talked to a couple people in Alaska that have suggested the same. I would love to be able to just have everything we
    own appear in Alaska at our new home. I usually save things for a second purpose. So I usually never need to rush to a store for parts,
    nuts, bolts, etc... I guess I have hit a point in my life where I feel like things hold us down. But still have a hard time letting go of some things.
    But we have sold and given away a lot so far.
    While trying to figure out the capacity of the trailer I would like to get after the motorcycle sells, I realized that it is going to fill up quick. So I started to read about shipping companies. I read that it could cost something like 2.18 per pound for shipping. Our gym equipment would be very helpful during the winter months in Alaska. My dumbbells alone would cost more to ship than they originally cost to buy. Then there's the tools, atv, splitter, etc... I wish I could talk one of my tractor trailer driving cousins into driving some stuff up through Canada.
    I have also been reading about moving things like ammunition. The ferry limit is something like 65 pounds. I would hate to sell ammo right now considering how hard it is to find. But I would also hate to mail it up just to have it lost in the mail. We bought my father-in-law a camera once and someone stole it somewhere along the way. We had it insured but they didn't want to pay because they said they delivered it. We had to push for them to honor the insurance.
    We might rent our current home to a family member. If so, we could leave some things stored here. So the most important thing would be to sell my motorcycle right now. We try to make some kind of progress each day.
    I shipped my set of power tech adjustable dumbbells for $35 from ATL to my village. In a priority flat rate box. I was able to get 60 of the 90 lbs in a box. I flew with 40 more lbs to have a set of dumbbells adjusted to 80 a piece. That's all the weights I need. Another option would be to get you some bands or join a gym up here. TRX is another good system that is light weight. As far as ammo...it's illegal to mail it via usps.flat rate boxes are your friend. We mail a lot via flat rate boxes. They arrive in 3 days. Only negative is you are limited by the size. Sometimes it is better to start all over.

you nailed it. It'll cost more to ship than buy new or used. So sell then rebuy. It's kocheap to move up here. Our initial cost to move up here was about $6k. That was tickets, 3 months of food, and winter gear.

I just packed up and headed to Ak with a small suitcase.. i was in a spot where i could do it. I lucked out found a good job and so far everything has been smooth.. biggest thing was coming from a big city to the bush. Culture shock lol

Quote Originally Posted by aktatts View Post
    I just packed up and headed to Ak with a small suitcase.. i was in a spot where i could do it. I lucked out found a good job and so far everything has been smooth.. biggest thing was coming from a big city to the bush. Culture shock lol
    Next time you come over to my village drop me a pm. We will feed ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Next time you come over to my village drop me a pm. We will feed ya.
    Was just there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast