Thread: Knots for kenai reds

Default Knots for kenai reds

Anyone got some good links for knot tying tutorials for flip casting. I use:

Fly line to 30lb test needle knot. (Highly confident in knott)

Leader to 3way surgical tube swivel Palomer knot (low confidence)

3way to long leader improved cinch (low confidence)

Hook is egg loop (high confidence)

Thanks

Follow up: is the small section between fly line and swivel necessary?

Those are all fine knots, why not just use the improved cinch knot in place of the palomer if you have low confidence in it? Also, it's possible to simplify your rig a little if you are interested. For my fly rods I rig 40# mono for the butt section, and I use loop to loop connections for all the connection points. My fly line has a loop tied in it with two mono nail knots to secure the loop, then the 40# butt section, to a 20# leader with egg loop knot for the hook. As I mentioned all connections between lines are loop to loop. Loops on the leader material are tied with a figure eight loop knot, very strong knot. This setup allows me to swap out my 20# leader easily. Also this setup allows me to use split shots for weight and I place them on the butt section above the knots so they dont slip. Works very well, and is simple to setup.

The butt section between fly line and leader is very necessary as it is the section the fish see coming at them, have your weight too close to your fly line and it spooks them, as it is highly visible due to its size and color.

Butt Section 4-5'
    Leader 5-6'

I'd take the fly line and switch to 40 mono or a running line. Weight, swivel, 30lb leader with a yarn fly. I use uni knots for everything. Works great and the knot hardly ever fails. Make sure you are using. Fresh line, and wet the knots before you cinch them down

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Knot

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    I'd take the fly line and switch to 40 mono or a running line. Weight, swivel, 30lb leader with a yarn fly. I use uni knots for everything. Works great and the knot hardly ever fails. Make sure you are using. Fresh line, and wet the knots before you cinch them down

Ditto on the uni knot. Can even be tied with cold fingers.
    NRA Lifetime Member