Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most versatile 2 powders to have?

Default Most versatile 2 powders to have?

Just for fun, If you had to shoot as you do, with only 2 powders (rifle and pistol) for targets, hunting, heck, survival in general, what would you want a store of as the most versatile?

I shoot rifle and pistol in numerous calibers....

1. Unique for pistol.....reloads everything pistol ....also I've experiemented with this in several rifles (308, 30-06, 7x57, 8x57, 8x56, 6.5 x55) 11 to 13 grains is so accurate to 100 yds. Good to know in a pinch......11 grains produces 900 -1100 fps in all rifle calibers above (USING LEAD BULLETS ONLY, but I'd feel ok with jacketed in a pinch because ALL spent cartridges were inspected, without any damage and some showed low pressure signs). If I could only have one powder, it would be Unique.

2. I like IMRs....personal taste only, would use more temp stabilized Hogdon's if their data was more avail to me way back then, I'm an old dog (in reloading) and my IMR tricks have served me well. My favorites are IMR 4831 and IMR 4350. But, If I could chose only one rifle powder to stock up on and use for everything, it would be IMR 4895, with 4064 in close second. IMR 4895 does from .223 to .300 Win.
    The green Speer #10 reloading manual (late 1970 early 1980s is my favorite ever: pre-lawyer wuss loads).

I like opinions from fellow shooters, what say you?

Red Dot, Blue Dot, 2400 ???

It would probably be H4895 for rifles. It works good in my go to cartridges....223,243,308 and 358 Winchester. Unique is a good choice for handguns as is Titegroup, Red Dot and several others on the fast burning end of the chart.

I use more Varget then any other powder, from 22-250 - 300 WBY.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

H4350 is pretty versatile for most of my rifles and so is varget
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yea, Varget has popped up on everyones load data and in all of the reloading manuals. It wasn't in the older books, so I never really started with it, but use it now as a "jack of all trades, master of none". I still haven't found it as "the best" performing powder for any certain load, but it sure meters well and would be a good one powder contender.

If I could only have 2 rifle powders, they are H4350 and ReLoader 17.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

LilGun and IMR4895...also H335 would be handy.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I could do nicely with 4831 and Universal clays. For those rifle loads that 4831 is to slow or pistol loads that universal is to fast, I use duplex loads. I can make these two powders work pretty well in just about anything using duplex loads. Yeah, I know this is considered dangerous but so is normal reloading if you don't go at it correctly.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I guess Bullseye and Reloader #7
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Unique for handguns...it has application in just about all reloadable handgun rounds.

Rifle spectrum is vast, but either Varget or Reloader 15 could work...to an extent...in a boatload of cartridges.And be perhaps the #1 choice in many.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    If I could only have 2 rifle powders, they are H4350 and ReLoader 17.
    Just wondering.....do you reload nearly the same caliber sizes or just one? You chose two rifle slow burning powders that have nearly equal burn rates.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'd be a Varget and Unique guy if I had to... But I have firearms that I can load to kill any living thing in AK with 2f and 3f blackpowder as well... Can make that at home if necessary.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RL17 and IMR4831
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

IMR4320 and IMR SR4759.....get your SR4759 while you still can.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    RL17 and IMR4831
    Another same burn rate.????

Tell us more about your SR 4759.......I've heard this before , but ignorant as to why. Also, I'm curious as to why some folks choose two powders so similar.

modern firearms or designed for black powder?

Unique and Varget. I've always burned a lot of Unique and I can load it into any handgun I own; not the best for all uses, but it'll get the job done. (I can also use it in shotgun shells and cast rifle loads.) I thought a lot about the "only one rifle powder" question and Varget seems like one that can be used in everything from .223 to .338, my spread, and is of a burn rate that I can use it in semi-autos. Again not the best for each use, but good enough. Other than .223 I haven't shot Varget much. Seems kind of silly to have a last ditch powder to use "in case" that I haven't got loads worked up for...

I don't spend much of my time looking for powders right now, but I never pass up the chance to buy anything I see on the shelf that I can use. I'd much rather have one I've worked with and think is the best for the way I load than try to make do with "one size fits all".

Always enjoy reading about what others use and why.

I think Win231 and A2520 would be a good combo for the guns I own and shoot.... Both meter nicely and perform well. Varget would be an alternate.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast