Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnes TTSX BT bullet performance

Default Barnes TTSX BT bullet performance

Hi,
    Anyone have any experience with Barnes 180 gr TTSX BT bullets? They are a polymer tipped boat tail bullet. Here is a link in case you want to take a look. My brothers, nephew and I are going float hunting for moose this fall.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-tsx-bullet/

We are using .300 win mags 74 grs of Hodgon 4831sc and they are running about 2940 fps

Thanks,
    -Matt

Bring me a box and I'll show you how they work. Just kidding but I grabbed a box of .300win 165 gr vortx last year(all they had) and dropped a moose at 430yd a black bear at 300 yd and just shot my brown bear at 16 feet. I like them

I killed a big bodied caribou last year with the 30-06 150 grain version and one shot did the trick. For all I know that bullet is still heading north! I think the box says they around supposed to run 2950 or so but i have a 21 inch barrel so mine will be lucky to go 2800..caribou did not seem to care.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mjonesvet View Post
    We are using .300 win mags 74 grs of Hodgon 4831sc and they are running about 2940 fps
    Matt- there are very few ballistic equations that won't solve...lots of happy TTSX shooters here. I mainly use Accubonds personally but I've seen a lot of game taken with the TSX. Nothing wrong with it at all.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The only two bullets I shoot is Barnes and Nosler, And I have shot the barnes TTSX 180 in my 300 win mag, but like Hodgeman, My rifle likes to group the 180 Accubonds alot tighter and better. Your gonna have to try them out and see, I have some rifles that like the TTSX better and some the TSX.

I'm using IMR 4831 @ 73.3 grains, with Fed 215 Magnum primers. I'm right at 3090 fps.

I shot a 60" bull moose in the Brooks last fall with a 180 gr TTSX. One shot with one follow up shot. Recovered 1 bullet, 94% weight retention. A week before that I shot a ram with similar results. There were factory loads for my 30-06. I plan on reloading up some 168gr and 180gr TTSX for my 30-06 next week.

I used some TTSX's on a moose and bear hunt and they preformed fantastic. They mushroomed well and retained nearly 99% of their weight
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Great bullets, tight groups, good weight retention. I've always shot 180 gr. out of a 300 weatherby. Nosler partition use to be my favorite until I started hand loading the Barnes.

I shoot 150's out of my 06 and they are a hammer. Moose/ black bears is all I've shot with it, but they hate it. Healthy dose of rl17-3000fps. 1/2" at 100 if I can shoot it...factory rifle too. Pretty good bc as well, 6"ish group at 500. Good bullet I wanna try them in my wby but it likes the 168 tsx so well why change if it's working. They like speed, the reason I dropped to 150's in 06.

I've shot 168gr TTSX out of my .300 wsm, killed an antelope at 345 yards with it. I have since moved on to the 180 gr accubond. Barnes are a very accurate projectile. Most guns like them.

I use 180 gr Barnes TTSX BT exclusively in my 300wsm. I am right at 3000 fps with sub-1" groups at 100 yards using RL19 in my Tikka. I have taken sheep and caribou at long range (350-plus yards) as well as Montana whitetail inside 100 yards and the bullet has performed very well in each situation.

Barnes 180 grain tsx out of the win mag took countless game. The 300 grain beasts out of the .375 h&h are awesome. 200 grain accubonds from the 325 wsm is hands down the most accurate bullet I've ever used, and just as deadly on any game. In my opinion, these are the two best bullets available.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The TTSX 225gr will shoot sub moa groups all day in my 338wm. Haven't gotten to take any game with them yet though. I have shot a number of animals with the standard TSX 225gr out of my 338wm. They tend to loose petals when they hit bone but get great penetration and still hold great weight retention.

From personal experience the 180g TTSX out of the 300 win, it is devastating. I have shot two moose with that combo. One, a perfect double lung shot that made the lungs into soup. Dead in 2 steps. The second a not so perfect shot that hit the back bone and completely blew it up. Long story, but we had to cut the moose in half to move it. We did not need the bone saw, just used a knife. The second lumbar vertebra was a mass of splinters with bone chips blown 10 feet from where the moose was standing. That moose tumbled back down the hill and died in the middle of the river quickly. So yes they work REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY good if they group well out of your gun. And, barnes is keeping up on reloading and ammo supplies, so you might have a chance of getting bullets to shoot.

Anyone useing them in a 308?

Anyone think .338 225 be to much? I haven't bought for reloading yet but am interested.

Too much for what? Don't load to Max and I'd use then on anything with four legs.

sent from my igloo

Sounds like you guys all have different experiences with Barnes bullets than I have. Yes the bullets are accurate. Do they perform reliably? Not in my opinion. The ttsx fails to expand sometimes which is the same problem I used to have with the Barnes x. I have been running about 20 percent failure rate on the bullets shot from a 257 weatherby magnum and a 30-378 weatherby magnum so it is not a lack of velocity causing the failure to expand. All the failures have been on safari plains game such as eland, waterbuck, kudu, and zebra, and at ranges from 50 yards to 180 yards. I have switched and only shoot swift a frames or trophy bonded bearclaws and I have to had any bullet expansion failures with those bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Anyone useing them in a 308?
    The 130 ttsx shoots tiny little groups out of my 308 tikka with 47.3 gr of TAC. Around 3100 fps if I remember right. I have only shot one animal with it, and it was a backup shot taken to stop a friends goat from moving away from us. It was not recovered.

I have taken a dall sheep, moose, mountain goat & 2 black bears with the 225 gr. ttsx bullets out of my 340 Wby. at ranges of 356 yds to 30 yards, no problems at all. very accurate handloads
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast