Thread: paxson lake in august

Default paxson lake in august

I have some time in early august for a trip out and about with my boat to fish with the family. thinking of hitting tangle lakes and maybe paxson lake, i've never fished it, seen them rising there alot but never fished it. anyone have some infor they would be willing to share, feel free to PM me if you'd like!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Shoot me a PM and I can give personal thoughts....

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

If you are taking kids with you, I would definitely get some intel about Paxson before taking them there . I've been out there a couple of times and have trolled alot of miles and not had good fishing. I'm sure that they are in there, but they were not cooperative for either of my attempts. It's a beautiful lake, but if your trying to get your kids hooked on fishing, you may want to find a place with more action.

Tangle Lakes in August is annual trip for us, right before my son goes back home. You can catch trout at the boat ramp to Upper Tangle, where the creek drains towards the Lower Tangle Lake pretty much all day long. Don't even need a boat.

Ya we've done tangle lakes, a family my size and age don't work real well from shore with the other people around, or loose dogs running around. We take the boat out in that lake too.
    Paxson I've never fished, know they are there but thought it would be fun to at least give it a try, maybe on our way to tangle. I think I've been spoiled from guiding but the grayling fishin in tangle had never been that great for me. Course, never used to fish with four kids either....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Ya we've done tangle lakes, a family my size and age don't work real well from shore with the other people around, or loose dogs running around. We take the boat out in that lake too.
    Paxson I've never fished, know they are there but thought it would be fun to at least give it a try, maybe on our way to tangle. I think I've been spoiled from guiding but the grayling fishin in tangle had never been that great for me. Course, never used to fish with four kids either....
    I've had success trolling lures from the Paxson boat launch north toward the inlet about 50 yards off the highway beach.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Tangle Lakes in August is annual trip for us, right before my son goes back home. You can catch trout at the boat ramp to Upper Tangle, where the creek drains towards the Lower Tangle Lake pretty much all day long. Don't even need a boat.
    Grayling is really hot up in that area in the fall too. You casting lures for the lakers at the boat ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Grayling is really hot up in that area in the fall too. You casting lures for the lakers at the boat ramp?
    Yeah, but not the boat ramp in the camp ground-the one across the "highway" at the other end of the creek connecting the two lakes. I've also caught them on the fly rod there as well. Headed back up there in a few weeks.

Yeah, but not the boat ramp in the camp ground-the one across the "highway" at the other end of the creek connecting the two lakes. I've also caught them on the fly rod there as well. Headed back up there in a few weeks.
    Ya, that's how I interpreted your description. At the much smaller campground (not even sure there are camp sites). The outlet of Upper Tangle Lake, right? I'd like to take my boat up across the upper lakes to the right and wade way up the Tangle River where it first drops in...never done that.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Ya, that's how I interpreted your description. At the much smaller campground (not even sure there are camp sites). The outlet of Upper Tangle Lake, right? I'd like to take my boat up across the upper lakes to the right and wade way up the Tangle River where it first drops in...never done that.
    That "smaller campground" is not a campgroundl it's a day use area only. Looking at the USGS maps, Round Tangle is the one closest to the campground, with the campground's boat launch on it. The next one upstream, which its the one we are talking about with the boat ramp and day use area across the Denali Hwy, has no name, and the one after that is Upper Tangle. I once tried to paddle up the middle lake from the boat ramp/day use area, but the wind beat me back. However, I ran into a guy who did it with a sq stern and outboard and he siad you can portage into Upper Tangle Lake. I'm going to try that this year with my Grumman.

I've seen folks fly fishing Tangle River between the middle lake and Round Tangle Lake and my son and I paddled it once last year. Well, we paddled to the Denali Hwy bridge-we drug it over boulders the rest of the way and pulled out before Round Tangle-it was just way too much work lol. If you wade it, go prepared for twisted and sprained ankles; it's a lot of loos rocks and boulders to walk over and across. (Actually, you won't be "wading" per se; it's not more than shin deep.)

Summit lake a few miles up the road from Paxon good too.
    Caught some small lakers on the N end last time I was there.
    Graylng too.

We were in a canoe,

That "smaller campground" is not a campgroundl it's a day use area only. Looking at the USGS maps, Round Tangle is the one closest to the campground, with the campground's boat launch on it. The next one upstream, which its the one we are talking about with the boat ramp and day use area across the Denali Hwy, has no name, and the one after that is Upper Tangle. I once tried to paddle up the middle lake from the boat ramp/day use area, but the wind beat me back. However, I ran into a guy who did it with a sq stern and outboard and he siad you can portage into Upper Tangle Lake. I'm going to try that this year with my Grumman.

I've seen folks fly fishing Tangle River between the middle lake and Round Tangle Lake and my son and I paddled it once last year. Well, we paddled to the Denali Hwy bridge-we drug it over boulders the rest of the way and pulled out before Round Tangle-it was just way too much work lol. If you wade it, go prepared for twisted and sprained ankles; it's a lot of loos rocks and boulders to walk over and across. (Actually, you won't be "wading" per se; it's not more than shin deep.)
    Ya, I've been wading the river between hwy and round tangle lake for 25 years and had many close spills. The section of river I'm referring to is across the no-name lake, through the shallow channel where the same lake opens up again, then head to the far right corner, around a long spit, you'll run into an island area....go around the right side of that and behind it Tangle River dumps in. That's the section of river I've never fished and I'm guessing many others don't. Also, on your way up there you can fish the mouth of Rock Creek, which I have and I'm sure many others have.