Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

I have been looking at this site and decided to join in. A lot of you seem to have some good ideas, experience and information. I have a problem and am looking to see what any one of you might do in the same set of circumstances. This all has to do with bear baiting, my favorite spring pasttime.
    1) My son and his friend put out bear baits right at the start of season. I won't go into all the details, but in hindsight should maybe have said no. (snow mobiles, open water, thin ice). Once the ice cleared, we started running the boat to the baits. The sites used are ones I have used for 18 odd years. On reaching site #1 for the 3rd time by boat, I noticed tracks in the mud. Following them I found a bait site. It was about 125 yards from ours. We try like heck not to leave tracks, so believe they did not know we were already there. So, a traditional site, already baited (legally) and some guys move in. On top of that, they had food items laid on the ground still in wrappers, raw meat chunks w/bones (caribou?), food/grease on the moss, and no bait permit anywhere. The ball is in your court, what would you do?
    2) Bait site #2 has been in use the same length of time as #1 and was baited the same time this year. Coming around the corner we see a boat and guy parked 2 bends above #2. We continue on, and several hours later come back. We check his site. Looks to be used for a couple years and is approx. 250 to 400 yards from mine. By luck we never saw each other before. It is obvious we are baiting the same bear. Again, don't think there is any way he knew we were there. At this site there is more garbage. (Dog food bags torn up, feed bags, herring packages, and some other stuff.) No current bait permit exists, just an old one from 2006. Your turn to bat.
    3) I am always watching the river bank. Sometimes I find where people bait. If I go look, I never, I mean never, mess with their stuff. On top of the 2 sites already mentioned, I found 3 other sites this year. Two of those have garbage, and all 3 do not have permits up. None of the sites directly affect any location I bait now or in the past. Feedback?
    I look forward to hearing what you folks have to say. Thanks, and safe hunting.

Turn in people if they are doing something illegal... that seems to be what I would do. The rules are so that everyone follows them, those that don't are cheaters and should be punished for cheating.

I agree with dog. How much work, time and money did you put into baiting legally? They haven't made the same effort. Why should the folks that meet all of the requirements put up with the ones that don't.

Go rent Rambo and Missing In Action (better rent the whole series or Chuck will get mad and come find you). Learn how to set fishing line trip wires, sharpen limbs into impaling devices, coat yourself in mud for camo, and bite the heads off rats (in-case the others don't work out in your favor)....You will be mother nature's backhand to these yahoos.

O.K., well maybe that isn't good advice.

Definitely call ADF&G, let them handle it. I wouldn't try interacting with these baiters. If they have no respect for the law, nature, and the game, more-than-likely they will have little respect for someone trying to show them the error of their ways.

As-far-as having folks set-up on your well seasoned bait stand, welcome to today's bear baiting. Most people set-up too close inadvertently, and USUALLY a civil conversation, and your proof of successive baiting seasons, is enough to make someone move on without further confrontation. However, public land is public land. What may be too close for you, may be within the confines of the law. It may not fit your definition of far enough away, but there is nothing you can do about it. You just have to make your stand sweeter and tastier. It's a free market society and the bear is the consumer.

I hope ADF&G can provide a positive resolution to your problem. If they don't, that's unfortunate.

Good luck with your baiting.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I agree with what has been said before. Get F&G involved. Slob hunters hurt us all. J.

if they are on the bait at the same time you are in the area , just take down there numbers on the boat and call them in . and hopefully they get nailed for littering and hunting violations
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default For Sure

I agree, there's big difference between baiting and dumping trash in the woods. These guys make us all look bad. I would report them.

Thumbs up Turn them in...

But call the Alaska State Troopers, not F&G....AST has the enforcement power, not the biologists.

I just want to get the hell away from the idiots!

That is why I didn't fish the Kenai River last year and did not moose hunt on the KenPen. Too many people!

What are the hunting regulations on the backside of the moon? I'm too old and too cranky to deal with fools like those you described.

While they sound like slobs and may be breaking some minor laws, you don't own the land and they have a right to be there. That seems to me to be the crucial issue here.

You can confront them or call F&G on them. Then what happens? They pee on your bait? Do a lot of shooting? Smear feces on your stand? Etc.?

If I was you and I really wanted to bait, I think I would try to find a new spot that is not so accessible to others.

Default Turn them in

I am new to both Alaska and the Forum, so please forgive my ignorance, but why does anyone bear bait? I tried to find info on the web about why hunters do it, and the only explanation was that it saves a lot of hiking. I'm not opposed to hunting and I understand that it's legal with a license. I just don't get bear baiting- where is the challenge? Am I missing something? Are bears that delicious/valuable?

In particular, I agree that illegal bear baiters should be stopped. Licensing helps ensure that bears aren't over-hunted.

I myself would just find some new places within alaska. This is a tactic I been using for 40 years to stay ahead of the bozos as the population and government control increases.

Angry sorry state

We sure have gotten into a sad state of affairs, haven't we? And it's just getting worse! This reprisal thing has a lot of people backing away from confronting wrong doing or being a witness to a crime, etc., for very real reasons. It seems a lot safer and prudent to look the other way, alter your plans or just hide and don't do anything anymore. This is going to only worsen in time, as it's quite clear, the justice system is failing, and wrong doer's know this and push the line. It's probably won't be too long in the future that the only time these creeps will have to answer to the law, is when the law actually catches them...the general public won't get involved. I find myself not going some places I used to love to go to, because of the altercation possibilities and consequences. Better sad and safe, ay? Yeh, right! How long will it be till we won't go or do anything outside of our sancuaries...
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Bait View Post
    I am new to both Alaska and the Forum, so please forgive my ignorance, but why does anyone bear bait? I tried to find info on the web about why hunters do it, and the only explanation was that it saves a lot of hiking. I'm not opposed to hunting and I understand that it's legal with a license. I just don't get bear baiting- where is the challenge? Am I missing something? Are bears that delicious/valuable?

In particular, I agree that illegal bear baiters should be stopped. Licensing helps ensure that bears aren't over-hunted.
    I'm not a bear baiter myself, and I'm not new to the Greatland either.

Maybe that's why I don't believe there is anything wrong with bear baiting, or any lack of challenge when doing it.

If it is your ignorance, it can be forgiven, but if you have an agenda, I invite you to go away.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default You are made of bait.

Relax Smitty. I did not say "bear baiting is wrong." I said that I don't see the sport in it. This forum seemed like a good opportunity to learn something.

And if I was THAT worried about it, I'd be writing my congressman, not asking a forum full of bear baiters why they do it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm relaxed:

You suggested that it wasn't a challenge, like you were against the whole idea.

Why don't you check and see about the requirements for bear baiting. I suspect you will find that it is more of a challenge than you think.

I've been reading posts on this very forum from bear baiters, and my conclusion is, that it isn't that easy.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default I asked a similar ??

Bear Bait

I asked a similar question about why people bait on a different thread here's the link with a lot of info about baiting bears
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=13673

I would definately turn in the guys that are doing it illegally. My take on registering is so that the F&G can check up on a small percentage of baits to make sure they are cleaned up and that it doesn't turn into a garbage dump in the woods and to make sure people aren't on top of each other. Obiously, some people won't give their exact location, but at least it should give people an idea of how many baits are in one area.

Default I'm starting to see the light

Thanks for the link Boater. Good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Bait View Post

I'm not a bear baiter, but here is some clarification as to why folks bait. It allows them to be more selective as to the animal they take. Stands are typically quite close to the bait station, so the hunter is close enough to do a good job inspecting the bear. The hunter can also have items around the stand to allow the bear to be measured and get a good feel as to the size of the bear. The hunter has time to ascertain weather a bear is a sow with cubs.

As to the not hiking comment, that is pure hogwash. Baiters don't just drop bait off the side of the road. Successful bait hunters put in more hours, and likely more miles packing the bait to the station during the season.

I don't bait because it is too much work, not too little.

If it were me, Id just find a new place to bait. The Garbage thing?, what do you mean, like syrup bottles and such? Thats not against baiting rules is it? Ill admit it is tacky, but the bears love to sit there and chew on those things.

The permit thing, that is a pretty clear violation, but, I like to give the benifit of the doubt, maybe they forgot it, or will get to it next time out. This sounds like a remote area, and I could see giving the guy a little leeway on this one. If he was baiting in a well traveled area frequented by all types of outdoor users then maybe I would hold his feet to the fire on that one.

In the end, I dont think a great injustice was done, and you would probably get on with your baiting sooner and more succesfully if you just moved on.

Thats just me, Im a little more laid back.

Oh and baiting for me? Probably my last year for it. Way to much fricken work. This is my second unsucsesfull year at it too. Im probably gonna have to spend most of the weekend on forest cleanup. I didnt get much activity this year and will probably be packing 60lbs worth of nasty mollases covered dog food out, 2 55 gallon drums, 2 treestands and a fresh water washdown of some trees I smeered with mollases. ( I cant believe the bears didnt lick that off!)

Nothing but berrry patches in the fall for me, wich is natures bait station that you dont have to clean up.
    Last edited by rimfirematt; 06-08-2007 at 16:54. Reason: just addin stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast