Thread: Kenai dipnet for fighting current?

Default Kenai dipnet for fighting current?

I'm looking for a new dipnet for the North Beach on the Kenai. I fish around the 2nd bridge over the sand dunes. Right now I have a fiberglass pole (Sam's Club setup), but I keep having it pull toward the river and can't hold it out as far as I want. I'm guessing I should have either a "T" or "D" handle with the extra pipe a couple feet from the handle. Other people seem to be doing ok just holding their nets by the handle, but for some reason I can't figure out how they're doing it.

Those other people probably have the Mikes Welding special!! Best nets ever. All welds guaranteed for life. He's on sterling on the highway right near the moose river. I've been using his net for 8 years in all kinds of current and they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike's nets have a V spike on the bottom to help hold them down.

My net has a 5 foot T that work very good in fast current infact I seen several guys with Mike's nets pull them and I continue to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Mike's nets have a V spike on the bottom to help hold them down.

My net has a 5 foot T that work very good in fast current infact I seen several guys with Mike's nets pull them and I continue to fish.
    The "v" is a good idea! What do you think the T does to help you stay in the water longer?

I don't know if I can explane it correctly. Think of a 6 foot T at one end of a pole and a 5 foot loop on the other (on the same plain). One end of the handel is stuck in the ground as you push forward the presser is tranfer to the bottom of the net, holding it in place.
    While every one is fighting there nets I an leaning in to my pole, sometime drowsing off untill a fish hits the net.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I don't know if I can explane it correctly. Think of a 6 foot T at one end of a pole and a 5 foot loop on the other (on the same plain). One end of the handel is stuck in the ground as you push forward the presser is tranfer to the bottom of the net, holding it in place.
    While every one is fighting there nets I an leaning in to my pole, sometime drowsing off untill a fish hits the net.
    Oh! I thought it was one of those T's that's like 3 ft long. Planting a 6 ft pole makes total sense! I see now where you said that in your first message but I didn't get it. Where did you buy that net?

[QUOTE= Where did you buy that net?[/QUOTE]

I did not buy it........I made it

I would also put in a good word for mikes dipnets. I personally wouldn't run anyother net anymore.
    The tapered design of his net hoops is second to none as far as drag is concerned.
    If you click on this link you will see a diagram that explains why his nets work so well.
    http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...ingwindow.html
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"