Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Packing out a moose

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Packing out a moose

    This will be my third moose season up here and I'll be hunting solo quite a bit since I finally got a boat (canoe). With my limited weight capacity (close to 1000 lbs) I have been thinking about how to pack the moose out. I've helped pack a few moose out (total of 5) and we've always quartered and brought out everything. One idea I was thinking about is cutting the rib meat off the rib cage and leaving the rib bones on site. Has anyone done this? I like bone marrow broth so the legs will be coming out. And I love ribs in the bone, but that could be extra weight.


    This his is all a contingency plan. I have some friends that have offered to help pack out in their boats. The idea of cutting meat off ribs is a last case scenario (no contact able to e made, weather getting rough, etc).

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    This is how I remove ALL the meat from the ribs and end up with a slab of rib meat.

    I start at the bottom rib, letís call it #12.
    The first Cut is along the length of the rib.
    Then cut under the meat next to the top of the rib, separating the meat from the top and then cut down the opposite side. You will also need to cut along each end of the rib freeing up the meat. The 12th rib is now clean of meat. Holding up the rib meat cut under the length of 11th rib and down the opposite side removing the meat; then cut along the ends of the rib. Continue process for ribís #10, #9, etc. If you roll the meat into a log it will help keep it clean.

  3. #3
    Member BIGAKSTUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    This will be my third moose season up here and I'll be hunting solo quite a bit since I finally got a boat (canoe). With my limited weight capacity (close to 1000 lbs) I have been thinking about how to pack the moose out. I've helped pack a few moose out (total of 5) and we've always quartered and brought out everything. One idea I was thinking about is cutting the rib meat off the rib cage and leaving the rib bones on site. Has anyone done this? I like bone marrow broth so the legs will be coming out. And I love ribs in the bone, but that could be extra weight.


    This his is all a contingency plan. I have some friends that have offered to help pack out in their boats. The idea of cutting meat off ribs is a last case scenario (no contact able to e made, weather getting rough, etc).
    Where you hunting, because the place I hunt you have to leave the meat of moose on the bone to be legal, this includes the ribs.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Where you hunting, because the place I hunt you have to leave the meat of moose on the bone to be legal, this includes the ribs.
    I believe I'm in area 21a. It's the innoko river federal area. Or I could hunt the fed land down river or near deer hunter slough. I'm on the Yukon. But across from the Innoko. I'll check regs.

    i know I have to bring antlers and the nuts out (still attached to a leg).

  5. #5
    Member BIGAKSTUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Yeah bummer, if its 21A ya have to leave meat attached to the ribs. I hear ya on wanting to bone them out though, I hate looking at those ribs when i'm lashing em to a packframe! got a nasty scratch on the back of my head from a jagged rib bone before while packing some out on my back.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

  6. #6
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I'm on the Yukon. But across from the Innoko. I'll check regs.
    Yea, you better check the regs. 21A is the upper Innoko. If your on the Yukon near the Innoko, your in 21E. Meat on bone requirements (Pg. 22 of reg book) are the same for moose for subunits A-E.
    Just try not to shoot the moose too far from the water.
    This is your 3rd moose season and you don't know what sub unit your in?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  7. #7
    Member Roger45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    966

    Default

    To bad you have to leave the bone, but to answer your question, I almost always remove the meat from the ribs as I hate the taste with moose rib bones. It is easy, I sometimes use a fillet knife, but any sharp knife works. Place the knife against a bone and in a smooth motion cut the full length. You may need to hold the the strip of meat at one end to start your cut to the other side. Make sure you keep all the one inch strips together because if you are stopped they will ask to see them...if the trooper is in a bad mood they could ask to count...had the previous but not the later happen. If they go back to the kill site and see any rib meat, they will fine you. Hope that answers the question you had.

    As a solo hunter I have found that I almost Never gut an animal, only if I can't part them out immediately. I start by cutting the hide along the backbone and skinning down to the legs. Once the hide is laid over I remove the back straps, then the rear leg, then the front leg, bone the neck, and roll them over (very easy with 1/2 gone). Repeat on the other side. Once all the meat is clear, I break the bottom two ribs at the spine, use the back of one hand to lift the belly, and remove the loins on each side. All is clear, then I open the stomach for the heart, liver and kidneys. So much cleaner and the only way for a solo IMHO! Good luck and great hunting.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    You know there a lot of difference ways to bucher a moose and theirs also other ways to pack out a moose with out using your back. Why don't you look into other methods of packing out the animal that way you can leave the bones on and help keep the meat from going bad.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Yea, you better check the regs. 21A is the upper Innoko. If your on the Yukon near the Innoko, your in 21E. Meat on bone requirements (Pg. 22 of reg book) are the same for moose for subunits A-E.
    Just try not to shoot the moose too far from the water.
    This is your 3rd moose season and you don't know what sub unit your in?
    I live in E and hunt in A. That is where the confusion comes in. Ive also hunted with natives the last two years as a pack mule. One of common answers was we were hunting on native lands. No need for a number. Lol.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    You know there a lot of difference ways to bucher a moose and theirs also other ways to pack out a moose with out using your back. Why don't you look into other methods of packing out the animal that way you can leave the bones on and help keep the meat from going bad.
    First year the guys made fun of me for using rope to drag out some
    legs. Hide was still on meat to protect and I dragged out the legs. I was told I wasn't a man. Lol.
    Then last year a different guy did it the same way. I haven't quite figured out the ribs yet. I could always cut into smaller sections. However that means more trips.

  11. #11
    Member Daveintheburbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    .

    i know I have to bring antlers and the nuts out (still attached to a leg).
    I have had less contamination issues and still valid proof of sex by just leaving a couple of inches of penis attached to one of the quarters. I fillet from the spine down and as you skin out the hind quarters it is pretty easy to do. Im talking abou the actual organ not the hide over it.

    The only down side is when I am butchering more than once I have stood there with that chunk of penis in my hand saying " hmm what is this?" It hasn't made it in the burger pile yet though.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    I have had less contamination issues and still valid proof of sex by just leaving a couple of inches of penis attached to one of the quarters. I fillet from the spine down and as you skin out the hind quarters it is pretty easy to do. Im talking abou the actual organ not the hide over it.

    The only down side is when I am butchering more than once I have stood there with that chunk of penis in my hand saying " hmm what is this?" It hasn't made it in the burger pile yet though.
    Maybe I'm thinking penis too. Lol. I haven't shot one yet. I've inly packed. First year I was nonresident. Last year I saw plenty cows but only one potential bull before I fractured my elbow halfway through season.
    Im extremly excited for September 5. Even taken a few personal days this year.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Build a raft and float it down river attached to the back of your canoe

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Build a raft and float it down river attached to the back of your canoe
    I e thought about getting an inflatable. However I'm going to call on some friends help. Luckily his moose camp won't be to far from where I hunt.

  15. #15
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    980

    Default

    I think yuo will need to have proof of sex attached to both hindquarters,

    best to be safe, than get checked and pay the piper

    Chris

  16. #16
    Member Roger45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I think yuo will need to have proof of sex attached to both hindquarters,

    best to be safe, than get checked and pay the piper

    Chris
    I am assuming this is humor. Leaving proof of sex attached to one hind quarter is very easy either way you go, just leave the hide on in the spot where you want to leave it. I find it easiest to cut the hide on the opposite side and sometimes leave the penis and scrotum attached to the other side. It is easy to completely remove (by accident) the way I do the one man parting, but a little attention to it and I have never made a mistake. I Will Never Dance In Guts Again When Parting A Moose or Caribou!!!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

  17. #17

    Default

    The weight of the rib cage on a moose is negligible compared to all the other meat you will already be packing. I almost always cut out the complete rib cage unless the rib cage is so bloodshot that it is not worth salvaging. The main reason why is that if you bone out the rib meat the rib meat will most definitely spoil because of all the surfaces exposed. If you leave it on the ribs, you at least have a chance of preserving it. If at all possible try not to get any of the gastrointestinal fluids on the rib cage. If you shoot your moose in the vitals (heart, lungs, liver), then you should be okay as long as you are careful. When I butcher moose, caribou, deer, sheep etc, I cape the animal first. Then I remove the 4 quarters, Then I remove the backstraps, neck and brisket meat. THEN AND ONLY THEN DO I REMOVE THE GUTS! This is extremely important. A lot of guys I know and have hunted with in the past have unnecessarily ruined their meat because they want to remove the guts first and when you do this you risk ruining ALL your meat. This is a waste of time and meat, and it is completely unnecessary. Moose ribs are really good if properly taken care of in the field. Oh, and by the way. I have packed and field dressed moose by myself before and it is no fun. My best advice is bring along a compact come-a-long and 50-100 feet of strong rope. You will be glad you did.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I think yuo will need to have proof of sex attached to both hindquarters,

    best to be safe, than get checked and pay the piper

    Chris
    No, you don't need it attached to both hind quarters, just naturally attached to at least one of them (when required).

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Check your unit!! In unit 23 all meat muct come out on the bone and the entire rib rack must come out as well. The ribs are some of the best eating on a moose so don't even think about leaving that behind!! Brisket!!!


    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Check your unit!! In unit 23 all meat muct come out on the bone and the entire rib rack must come out as well. The ribs are some of the best eating on a moose so don't even think about leaving that behind!! Brisket!!!


    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.net
    i love the ribs. No intentions of leaving just thinking about ways to shorten the weight. But with the regs I'll have to bring it all out. No worries. I'll just seek help if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •