Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Kenai River Reports

Default 2014 Kenai River Reports

Went down friday morning, 7/11/14, to the north shore. We hit the evening incoming tide and managed 13 right off the bat. Went dead for 3 hours until high slack tide. FIlleted fish for a little bit then hit the outgoing tide for another 20. Grand total 33 for two nets and 6 hours of 'work'

So 33 salmon at a 6# average (bet yours is higher) would be roughly 200# of salmon. At a dockside price of $3.00 per pound - this is bare bones wholesale price for Sockeye unless you're buying by the ton - that's roughly $600 worth of salmon. Much more if you buy from the market.

Just curious who would consider this a successful trip. Did the mighty Kenai meet your expectations? If others meet with similar fortune, will they return to the shining city on the hill happy, or will they complain to their local legislators that the Kenai did not provide?

Seriously, all sarcasm aside, trying to get a barometric reading here... Pretty scary when big city legislators start talking about hijacking local resource management decisions that affect my community greatly - Kenai and Kasilof Sockeye management decisions which until very recently have been locally made, overwhelmingly successful, and for the most part science based - part of the reason we have abundant returns now.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    So 33 salmon at a 6# average (bet yours is higher) would be roughly 200# of salmon. At a dockside price of $3.00 per pound - this is bare bones wholesale price for Sockeye unless you're buying by the ton - that's roughly $600 worth of salmon. Much more if you buy from the market.

Just curious who would consider this a successful trip. Did the mighty Kenai meet your expectations? If others meet with similar fortune, will they return to the shining city on the hill happy, or will they complain to their local legislators that the Kenai did not provide?

Seriously, all sarcasm aside, trying to get a barometric reading here... Pretty scary when big city legislators start talking about hijacking local resource management decisions that affect my community greatly - Kenai and Kasilof Sockeye management decisions which until very recently have been locally made, overwhelmingly successful, and for the most part science based - part of the reason we have abundant returns now.
    I ended up with 117# of fillets when it was all said and done, and I like to compare that to the price of fillets at the store which is $15-$20 /pound. So yes, I consider it a success. I also consider ANY time spent out of town and on the water a success. For some reason, the fish on the incoming tide were decent size but had a few small ones in the mix. On the outgoing tide, almost every single fish was a fat hen in the 8-10lb range. I got 15lbs of eggs for silver season!

I finally bought a little digital fish scale so I had a better idea on the size of fish I catch.

Yes, we do love the fat hens, don't we? Glad you enjoyed the successful trip.

Why would a PU fisherman compare the value to dockside? Assume most aren't commercial fisherman and have to pay for fish at the store if we don't get what we need. Even at $10/lb that's $1100 worth of fish to the consumer. Figure $200 hundred spent on gas and food for the trip, and yeah...that's a money saver.

Keep the reports coming...I'm stuck on the slope and have to hope the run doesn't die down by the time I get back.

Default 2014 Kenai River Reports

Because you can buy fish from a nearby commercial fisherman if you don't catch what you need. (Assuming certain politicians aren't successful in shutting them down) It's completely legal as long as they have a catcher/seller permit. I would assume you would pay somewhere around $3.00-$3.50 per pound right now.

This was a quick hijack.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Because you can buy fish from a nearby commercial fisherman if you don't catch what you need. (Assuming certain politicians aren't successful in shutting them down) It's completely legal as long as they have a catcher/seller permit. I would assume you would pay somewhere around $3.00-$3.50 per pound right now.
    Oh, OK. I don't think most people even know that's an option. Makes sense, though.

Brwnbr, 24 hrs and only 2 reports. I don't think I'm ruining anyone's swerve here, am I?

Coho, yes, lots of people don't know they can do this. Wish the commercial industry was better at marketing to PU - the economics would solve a lot of the fighting.

Ok, done with the hijack.

Dipped from a boat all day yesterday 7/14, we started at high tited and fished through to the next... S-U-C-K-E-D. We were holding our mouths just right and everything... just not many fish. We ended up keeping a dozen and tossed a couple crusty ones back. We fished 2 nets. On the upside we netted two hen kings. One was about 17-18lbs the other was upper 20s. Lots of boats, looked like a weekend. Going to head back down in a few days. Good luck..

Group of four fished from the south shore between 0600 Friday the 11th and 2300 Saturday the 12th. We were good for 110, pulled out 101. From what I've read and what I saw down there, we did better than most - with the exception of the drysuit folks. Fish were hitting hardest on the last half of outgoing tide, and right at low. Also, if you're camping, head on a swivel for those big tides.

Can we keep kings this year or no?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

No retention unless something changed dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Can we keep kings this year or no?
    No we cannot.

friend nailed 50 on a boat from opening to about 10 am this morning
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Just FYI, if you are dipping from a boat and launched above the bridge, make sure your cards are marked before you head up river!!! Park Rangers stopping boats about a mile up steam and handing out tickets right and left.

dey hidin under da ames bridge liek toll trolls :(

Fished the evening tide today and got four reds and a pink between the two of us. Beautiful evening! Hardly any jumpers. Pretty slow, but that's why I take the entire week off. They will show.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Three of us fished yesterday from 10:30 am until 2:30 pm and got 24 red and two pinks. We were walking. I think the city of Kenai isn't happy with the dip netters , road blocks , no parking on streets that are plenty wide to allow for safe parking. I think I'm going to explore a few new places next year.

We're fishing the morning tide right now and it's pretty dead here. Hopefully it will pick up on the outgoing tide... And I disagree on the City of Kenai. They've got a tractor down here cleaning the beach every night...lots of support for dipnetters. Half of Anchorage floods this place every summer, so there is a huge impact, and it's not all positive.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast