Thread: Cylinder latch doesn't retract...

Default Cylinder latch doesn't retract...

...when the gate is open.

Ruger New Model Blackhawk: I've gradually been working this gun over, one piece at a time... Last piece fitted this evening was a Power Custom cylinder latch. Have cycled the action dozens of times post install; lockup is flawless and timing is perfect, but when the gate is open the latch doesn't fully retract.

I'll dig into it again tomorow evening, and I'm sure I'll figure it out, but thought I'd throw it out there tonight for ideas.

Thanks.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Building guns in the shadow of Appalachia

Doesn't fully retract, or doesn't retract at all?

If #1, then the bolt nose is too long, and needs to ground down til it has just enough length to bottom out in the notch. This is probably your problem.

If #2, then there is a disconnect between the gate spring and the little stud on the bolt that engages the spring, that drops the bolt when the gate is open.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

• During the cocking cycle, the gate retracts to just sub flush before release; no issue there.
    • When the gate is open, the latch retracts about 2/3 the depth of a cylinder notch; to just about at the depth where the flute meets the notch (about half as far as I need it to in order to clear the cylinder).
    • When at rest, in the lock position, with the "pad" firm against the inside of the frame, the ball protrudes through the window just enough to bottom perfectly in the cylinder notch.

If I reduce the height of the "ball", I will need to reduce the height of the "pad" by at least the same amount. Is this what needs to be done?

Edit: Thinking through it now... If I lower the ball, and reduce the height of the pad correspondingly, that in turn will close the distance between the stud and the spring, giving a greater amount of retraction when the gate is opened, yes?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

....That, or I need to increase the diameter of the stud.

When the latch is in the locked position, gate closed, how much clearance should there be (if any) between the gate spring and the latch stud?
    #Resist

Taiga you firure it out yet?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Taiga you firure it out yet?
    Yea, I got busy with work and set it aside for awhile, but am currently laid up with the crud that's going around, so I wrenched on it yesterday...it required quite a bit of fitting. Came out pretty nice tho; lockup and timing is as about good as my Linebaugh. The only remaining flaw is the slight lack of concentricity inherent to the cylinder. Nothing I can do about that.

Did a little work on the grip frame too. Never have liked the duck butt flare at the bottom of Ruger's Bisley backstrap, so I cut it off and straightened it out some.
    #Resist

Good deal on fix. I also dislike the bottom flare on most single action grips. This years crud is bad stuff for sure and the older I get the longer it stays.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you