Thread: Handguns in checked baggage ??

Default Handguns in checked baggage ??

Good friend that lives in California passed away, wife wants me to have a couple of pistols that were his, I'd like to bring them back with me next time i get down there, whats the easiest way, i know i can't mail them by usps, just pack them in lockable cases and put in my checked baggage & declare at check in counter & go through TSA ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Just the way you stated. You might have to open the cases for TSA inspection, so hold on to the bag they're packed in until you find out. Probably I don't need to say this (but I will anywho), make SURE the guns are unloaded & no cartridges in any mags that accompany the guns.
    The only other option would be to have a FFA dealer there ship them to a FFA dealer here.

Why can't you mail them Steve? I've done it several times...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Why can't you mail them Steve? I've done it several times...
    I looked online this morning and it says handguns can't be mailed by usps and if i used ups they must be shipped only by overnight for a mere $150.00. I know we talked about this yesterday and i just don't want to get locked up or have the guns confiscated at the airport so thats why i tried doing some research. I'm still kinda confused(as always).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...censed-persons

Check them in your baggage, or have them shipped through a FFL holder.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Just looked it up too.... I guess things changed with the 2011 policy changes. Time to disassemble the handguns and mail two boxes with 1/2 of each gun in each box....then you are only mailing "handgun parts" which is still legal.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Just looked it up too.... I guess things changed with the 2011 policy changes. Time to disassemble the handguns and mail two boxes with 1/2 of each gun in each box....then you are only mailing "handgun parts" which is still legal.
    I think you'll find the law predates 2011. Regardless, the part(s) with serial numbers on them are the ones that will get you in trouble. The portion with the serial number is not defined as a "part", it's defines as a "firearm".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I'm pretty sure regardless of how disassembled, which ever box had the receiver would be considered the "firearm" and need to be shipped accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    I'm pretty sure regardless of how disassembled, which ever box had the receiver would be considered the "firearm" and need to be shipped accordingly
    d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers, or other parts or components reg*ulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

Unless you are dealing with "regulated"(aka tax stamp required) gun parts, there shouldn't be a problem.
    AKmud

d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers, or other parts or components reg*ulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

Unless you are dealing with "regulated"(aka tax stamp required) gun parts, there shouldn't be a problem.
    the way I read it, there are very few parts you can actually mail when it comes to a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    the way I read it, there are very few parts you can actually mail when it comes to a handgun.
    The key words are - regulated under chapter 44 of title 18 USC. This chapter deals with regulated weapons like full auto and such, and accessories like silencers and flash suppressors. Most basic handguns and their parts don't fall under "regulated".
    AKmud

The key words are - regulated under chapter 44 of title 18 USC. This chapter deals with regulated weapons like full auto and such, and accessories like silencers and flash suppressors. Most basic handguns and their parts don't fall under "regulated".
    Have you read 18 USC 1715? You need to start there and work your way out.
    #Resist

Actually the key words are except: handgun frames, receivers, or other parts or components blah blah blah. There is a set of stuff you can't mail and the parts your referencing fall into that category.

But most handguns fall under frames and receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Have you read 18 USC 1715? You need to start there and work your way out.

Ok.... This is cut directly from 1715...

Such articles also may be conveyed in the mails to manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein in customary trade shipments, including such articles for repairs or replacement of parts, from one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe.

The only regulation the usps prescribes is not allowing shipping of parts for "regulated" guns from chapter 44. Parts for non-regulated guns are fine. Break your handgun down and mail some of the parts in two separate packages and you will still be within the law as no one package contains a functional handgun.

Directly from USPS - Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
    AKmud