Thread: Looking for a Labrador pup

Default Looking for a Labrador pup

Anyone have any experience with any of the breeders around Anchorage or the valley? I've talked to a few (LNR, Alaska Labradors...), but I wanted to see if any of you have dealt with them in getting a new puppy? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've been nothing but pleased with the pup I got from LNR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got my pup from Alaska Labradors 5 years ago....great dog.

Guy really knows dogs... not so much of a businessman.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I live right around the corner from Alaska Labradors, can hear his kennel barking at times, nice guy and supports DU with donation pups. My only knock on LNR is that he had the vocal cords removed from some of his barkers to quiet them down at his kennel, just don't care for that, but I've met him and seems good also. Big question is how "good" of a lab do you want. Is this primarly a hunt dog, family dog with some hunting, or do you want a hunt test/field trial competator. You can get labs with a lot of the hunt instinct bred out of them, to make family dogs, and there are lots of excellent family dogs that are very birdy and great hunters and companions. Lots of the competition dogs make great family dogs and hunt dogs as well. What do you want and how much do you want to spend. I was told once that the purchase price is pretty inconsequencial when compared to the lifetime care of a lab. They were absolutely right, spend the money and get what you want, not what you can afford. Ask or pm me if you want more information about outstanding litters. Bud
    Wasilla

I am looking for a dog I can take out in the blind for ducks and then bring home to the family. Not really looking to compete in shows. My budget is around $1000 as I am looking to possibly pay for some training as well. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I was told once that the purchase price is pretty inconsequencial when compared to the lifetime care of a lab
    You said a mouthful there....yeah, the price of the pup isn't much when you look at a decade plus of food, vet care, kennel bills and what not.

But a good dog is such a joy in the field that you soon forget the cost.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalFisher View Post
    I am looking for a dog I can take out in the blind for ducks and then bring home to the family. Not really looking to compete in shows. My budget is around $1000 as I am looking to possibly pay for some training as well. Thanks for the help.

Do not, under any circumstances, get a show bred dog. fat with short legs, and very little bird instinct. What ever you get, be sure he is field bred and not from a show line. be sure he has all health clearances, have the breeder show you health certificates for both parents or the pup if the pup has been tested. you can go to www.retrievertrainingforum.com and look in their classifieds for quality pups. trust the breeder to pick out a pup for you, just check and make sure the breeder is reputable. Bud
    Wasilla

Once you get your pup, check out the Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association. They are a good group of folks. A club membership gives you access to the club training library.

My hunting partner will be 7 this fall and I got him from LNR. He's been a fantastic dog for me and my needs with great temperament and all of those other "standard" lab qualities. Best of luck on finding a pup.

Let me be clear, I dont personally know LNR. I have seen some of their dogs. I have also heard some things about this "breeder". For both of those reasons I chose to go with a different route. Maybe I reacted too quick to hearsay... maybe not.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.