Thread: What are your property taxes?

Default What are your property taxes?

One more thing about relocating. The place I'm looking at outside the city limits of wasilla that is valued by the city at about 350K is 4900.00 per year. That seems crazy to me. Can you share what yours are and where you are at. What are the places in the MAT-Su valley to look at to find lower property taxes?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    One more thing about relocating. The place I'm looking at outside the city limits of wasilla that is valued by the city at about 350K is 4900.00 per year. That seems crazy to me. Can you share what yours are and where you are at. What are the places in the MAT-Su valley to look at to find lower property taxes?
    Welcome to the Mat-Su valley robbery system Tom. I think the tax rates in the valley are all the same. I just paid my taxes for 2 acres of land valued at $69,000 outside of Big Lake and they were $1005.00 and that's with out any structures.

Good iuck.

In speaking with people that live in Alaska and talking about how nice it must be to not have state income or sales tax as well as the PFD every year, they would always counter with the fact that "The Man" got his money back via property taxes.

Tyranny is expensive. $4,900.00 a year to have every aspect of you life regulated. Seems about right.

I've always said......you never really own your house or property.

"Rent" comes due every year.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Seems pretty darn high, to me. Kenai Pen area less of a rip off. Have you checked into various possible 'deductions' from set property taxes that may be available? Such as our $20k primary home deduction.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

NOT when you are 65 y/o or older........it's all free.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I've always said......you never really own your house or property.

"Rent" comes due every year.....

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    NOT when you are 65 y/o or older........it's all free.

AG... Correct me if I'm wrong but the over 65 age exemption is only good for the first $350k of value. (?)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    AG... Correct me if I'm wrong but the over 65 age exemption is only good for the first $350k of value. (?)

When I checked matsu boro I think they said their exemption was for the first $150k.

On the Kenai Peninsula Borough that is about right. It is either $300,000.00 or $350,000.00 either way it is more than my assessed value.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post

We just got our tax statement from Mat-Su. Our cabin and land tax isn't close to what you might have to pay for a house and land. They claim the average homeowner pays $2,215 in property taxes based on an average assessed value of $217,553. Of that $2097 is areawide tax and the top three places that $ goes to are: $912 for Education Operating, $865 for General Government, and $169 for Education Debt Service.

Your numbers are spot on....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Kingfisherktn , The Mat Su is 170k. It use to be 150k but it got bumped up by 20k. There is also state wide the one vehicle free registration and free Hunting and Fishing Lic. So there is some advantage to maturing.

Is this 65 and free for 1st time applicants or after one year and residency?
    Give a person a fish, they eat for a day, teach them to fish, but only if they have a better boat.

Makes me wonder what they do with that money sure in the hell isn't on road upkeep, sidewalks etc. I heard most goes to the school that's great but why do all the school teams go out and sell tickets to raise money. I tell you when I retire I'm going to be a thorn in the Burroughs ass.