Thread: Planning my 2nd black bear hunt now

Default Planning my 2nd black bear hunt now

I hunted black bear about 3 yrs ago in Alaska but never spotted a good one to take down. Now I'm making plans for another hunt. Setting up a 5 day hunt in early May 2015 on Prince of Wales Island. Hopefully the big guys are out and about while I'm there. If anyone has suggestions send em my way. I've got a better idea of what to take now that I've been there once. It's going to be a long wait on the day to head that way. I have plenty of time to decide which rifle I want to take, 30.06 or 45-70. Like em both.

Okay can't remember what year I think 2 years ago POW went to draw for non residents think they have ran about 50% draw rate. My buddy drew out for one this coming spring. Hate to see you make resevations or buy tickets ect. and then realize you can't buy tag OTC

Yeah, I'm using a guide to fly me in and he supplies the tag. I was going to try the draw but want a sure thing.

Cool well you know good rain grear. I like the second week of May to begin myself went one year on the 5th and had a late winter(greenup) and the hunting was pretty tough. Last time we waited until around the 10th-17th and it was much better seemed more and more bears popped out everyday. You are ya flying with up there?

Probably going with RDM. Still finalizing everything with them.

I have heard good things about RDM. The bear numbers should be getting better on the island with less hunting pressure on the draws I am thinking about hitting up that way in the next few years again maybe try a fall hunt this time. Good luck and enjoy it is a great place!