Thread: Learn From My Mistake

Default Learn From My Mistake

This is probably old hat to those of you who have been reloading metallic cartridges for many years. For those of you new to the hobby, like myself, please learn from my dumb mistake.

I bought a RCBS Chargemaster a few months ago. I was loading some batches of 9mm with Alliant's Power Pistol over several weeks. Being the lazy person I am, I left the pound of powder in the plastic hopper. This was over a timeframe of several weeks. When I decided to empty the pistol powder out to put in some rifle powder for my .243, the Power Pistol was melted into the clear plastic tube and plastic hopper! ***?

After an hour or so of scrubbing with my fingernails, toothpicks, and Hoppes soaked Q-tips, I managed to get all the caked on powder cleaned out. But by now the damage was done. The clear plastic tube and hopper is now permanently etched. Functional yes, but no longer looking like new.

After reading through the RCBS Chargemaster manual I came across this: "DO NOT store powder in the unit after the reloading session. Over time the powder will corrode the powder hopper." Searches on the internet found another reloader having this issue with Bullseye powder.

Lesson learned for me. I'm dumping the powder out of the hopper after my reloading session.

I have always dumped the powder when I am doing for day. I do not know what I will be loading next, so I start from scratch every time. If I end up loading the same caliber/bullet/powder the next time, it just means that I will only have to check the throw instead of starting all over.

that line in the book, "Read all directions and precautions before use" strikes again. no offense, but I am surprised at the number of times I hear about something that the manual directly addresses that people blame on the machine. anyway, i have an old redding competition dropper that the tube is all pitted on, never knew before your post why it looked that way, now I do.

Apparently, the melting plastic powder hoppers are affected by double base powders which have nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose in them. Besides my bad experience with Power Pistol, other reloaders have mentioned others powders such as Unique, Bullseye, Lil Gun, and TiteGroup. Single base powders, such as IMR rifle powders, do not have the nitroglycerin (only nitrocellulose). I've not had any melting issues with my rifle powders---only Power Pistol. Regardless, I learned my lesson and will dump the Chargemaster hopper after each reloading session.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Apparently, the melting plastic powder hoppers are affected by double base powders which have nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose in them. Besides my bad experience with Power Pistol, other reloaders have mentioned others powders such as Unique, Bullseye, Lil Gun, and TiteGroup. Single base powders, such as IMR rifle powders, do not have the nitroglycerin (only nitrocellulose). I've not had any melting issues with my rifle powders---only Power Pistol. Regardless, I learned my lesson and will dump the Chargemaster hopper after each reloading session.
    I don't have a Chargemaster, but I leave powder in my powder scales all the time, and they have plastic hoppers.

I see this as a problem with the Chargemaster. RCBS should be able to make one without that problem.

I would voice some dissatisfaction with RCBS.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.