Thread: Homer boating

Default Homer boating

Hi,
    Love this forum. Everyone has been great help. I wanted to head to homer in between the dipnetting tides, what is a real good marine weather forecast and is there anything to be aware of when boating out near Seldovia or the bay in general. I will be fishing couple hours before and after slack. I hear the tides can rip underneath? Any good area's to try??
    I have a 19 1/2 Alumaweld Super V- boat, 3 1/2 sides, 50 horse 4 stroke. Hoping my boat should be fine?

Variable less than ten knots is good. IMO southwest is the worst out of Homer. Also, more often than not, the seas pickup in the afternoon. For halibut, head west and you will find them
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Leave early. Plan to be off the water by noon. Especially on a sunny day. Afternoon sea breezes will kick up and you wont like the ride back in. Dont wait til its ugly to head back in. Leave when it starts to pick up. Avoid coming back closeto the tip of the spit. Stay well away from it when the tide is ripping. It gets ugly there.

Spent the last 3 weekends in Homer. Come out of the harbor..point your bow towards the volcano and run 15 miles and drop anchor. I did best at slack and a couple hours after outgoing before the tide was too tough. Had no problem with chickens and the occasional 50-70 lber. Fish 120-150 ft.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

There is a lot to be said about being back by Noon. It gets the no fun factor up after that trying to head back to the harbor.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies. I have been busy with the family fishing reds and did some dip netting with extended family to help out. Funny how many friends call ya when they find out you have a decent boat
    Really appreciate the tips!! Going into unfamiliar area's make me a bit nervous. I've been told go mud flats direction and some halibuts can be caught, also near an island across from the spit? Is that true??
    Wondering where decent closer area's are with my mid sized boat? Thought of heading towards seldovia , toward pogi point. Heard it was decent over there. Does it get rough in that area, pending on winds?

[QUOTE=
    Wondering where decent closer area's are with my mid sized boat? Thought of heading towards seldovia , toward pogi point. Heard it was decent over there. Does it get rough in that area, pending on winds?[/QUOTE]

you can experience some nasty rip tides at Pogi if you are in too close when the tide is moving.

i would watch out down their this week the forecast has not been good for your small boat

Forecast is calling for westerly, and that is the worst. Crappy everywhere.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I was busy with the reds, haven't been on here for a bit. Yeah, the weather was not good. I was watching the forcast and it called for higher winds and seas. Took extended family dipnetting to help out instead that weekend. I'm wanting to head down there this weekend friday morning or night run and saturday too. Not too sure where to go, but looking forward to getting some halibut before it slows down. Really wanting my wife and kids to get some, any general areas would be appreciated
    I have a 50 4 stroke. (looking to up grade to a 90 soon) so the 15 mile run toward the volcano, not sure how long that would be? Hoping for some closer areas. Maybe within 10 miles?

I will add this about westerly winds to my notes for future runs, very much appreciated!!!!

Ok, I've been hearing the same from others too. I appreciate it! I won't be heading out that far. Didn't realize how far it was until I researched it. Someone gave me an idea in Kasilof about halibut cove, sounds too good to be true though?? But hey, I'll try anywhere at this point just to get to know the area of homer better and have my family hook one up!

IMG_0581.jpg This the boat that I have. It's 19 1/2 feet with 3 1/2 foot sides. Really hoping it should be fine in Homer, even on the bit rougher days. I will always head back by noon for sure though Whatcha guys think about handling in the water there??

I had an Alumaweld almost identical to yours for 3 years here in Homer. I personally did not feel comfortable running to the West. There is absolutely no way I would have taken my boat 15 miles out to the West. I took my boat to the bluff area 1 time and after that experience I didn't care to try again. That's about 12 miles I think. It was amazingly calm on the way out and got rough very quickly and I had no place to tuck into and wait it out. If you are fishing for halibut, I would try around the islands near Sadie Cove and Tutka. You could also try around Peterson Point (which is by Halibut Cove and probably the spot that the person in Kasilof was describing).

Obviously, keep an eye on the weather. What others have said about the wind picking up in the afternoon is definitely true. Early mornings and late evenings have been best in my experience.

I finally gave up my Alumaweld this summer and "upgraded" to a Seasport. I must say, the ride is much nicer now, but I sure miss aluminum

Best of luck, I'll be curious to hear how you do...

I was hoping someone would say they have a boat or had I will remember that and extremely appreciate it. I've wanted to upgrade but this is what I can afford for now. Eventually wanting a hewescraft 20ft or bigger, higher sides. I will let you know. Wanting to go this weekend, sat morning and night. Looks like their calling for nice weather. Less than 2 ft

I will be on the water all day both days this weekend. Call Blackfish on VHF 6 or 16, Or call me on my cell 399-2340 if you have questions or need assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, your great, thanks Dave!!! Really hoping we can make it down.

Hi guys, I went out Saturday afternoon tide at deep creek. I wasn't sure about how far to head out. The weather of course was awesome last weekend!! My wife caught her first Halibut. 23# but a keeper I was about 1/2 mile out. We headed southwest, it's just I have a 50 right now and it's a long run. Really considering a 90. Being new to the area in my boat, didn't want to get too far out. I wasn't sure what the water would do on outgoing, but it was great! Thought of calling you Dave, but didn't want to bug ya, and we were doing good. The next trip will be out of Homer.

I'm curious when do the halibuts really slow down?? Hoping to go one more time, before my hunting trip. Could someone let me know about how far a good area is for halibut in deep creek and when the halibut really slow down?
    Thanks guys!!

You don't have to go out far, Kardinal (the kayaker) has been doing great within 1/2 mile of shore from Anchor Point. I don't have a boat I can launch anymore at deep creek, but when we beach launched the zodiak there were decent spots within 3 miles of shore. We bascially ran 6-7 miles but only 3 of it was out & 3 or so diagonally south.

I don't know squat about deep creek, but dont worry about bugging me. Worst case is I'll call you right back if I'm busy. Glad you had a good day.