Thread: 60HP Yamaha on 19' boat?

Default 60HP Yamaha on 19' boat?

I bought a 19' Key West fiberglass boat that has a Suzuki 115 2 stroke on it. I got a great deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. It seems to run great in the driveway but I have not put it in the water yet. I also have a 60 HP Yamaha 4 stroke that I have sitting around not being used. I believe that it is geared for heavier loads, but I need to confirm that. I have always been an inboard/bigger boat guy so I am not too familiar with the smaller setups. I know that it will be slow, but would the Yamaha be sufficient enough to use? It is a 7'6" beam, so its fairly narrow. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had an 18' sylvan with a 50 hp evinrude. It planed at 18 and topped out at 22 mph.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

It'll be "okay" but sensitive to load changes. I have only a 50 Yami-4 on a 20' Hewescraft Open Fisherman, which is probably lighter than your boat. It's surprisingly quick onto step and will push 6 people to 23mph at WOT. But the difference between WOT and coming off step is pretty narrow with that big a load. By myself, down current, with the wind, it tops out at about 27mph. Could probably jiggle my choice of prop pitches a little for slight changes, but I'm pretty close to all she wrote. Overall, I kinda wish I'd gone with a 90 even if we don't really need it for what we do. Our boat is rated to do 40mph with the 90, but we never would go that fast. But it still would be nice to have the extra power "in reserve."

Looking close at your photos, I notice something you don't ask about, but which might prove important in some locations.

Those bunks on the trailer go waaaaaaaaay back beyond the trailer frame. Neither here nor there, except that it pushes your axle way up forward. I'm betting two things. On bumps it's going to want to lever the back end of your Toyota way up, making it pretty scary on rough roads. You'll also find you have some trouble getting it on and off the trailer on some boat ramps. Don't often see it, but if the back end of your truck gets a little light-footed, I'd sure think about putting a leveling hitch with a stabilizer on the trailer. Someone took a trailer too small and "stretched" it to fit that boat.

There's likely a full foot you could pull it forward on that trailer though, but for sure your fulcrum is a bit forward. Good looking rig, it may take some pitch adjustments on the prop, but that motor would push it. I'd think a 90 would be the cat's meow though.

Thanks for the replays. Brown Bear, how heavy is your boat. The specs say this weighs 1900 pounds. It also has a built in 60 gallon tank. Plus that prob does not count the motor. I already planned on moving the boat forward to get more tongue weight. That "Toyota" is a 3500 long bed diesel Ram. I think it will be ok considering I tow a 27 Seasport pilot with a 10 foot camper with a slide out at the same time with it I definately agree that a larger motor would be better but this is something that I already have sitting around. It is rated up to 150HP. That would be rediculous! They still sell this boat with the same designed trailer after many years. I agree its weird. BTW my motor is an F60TLRC which is not the high torque one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    Thanks for the replays. Brown Bear, how heavy is your boat.
    According to Hewes, the 20' Open Fisherman hull is 1100# dry. Of course, ours didn't stay so light for long!

As for your Toyota, write it off to geezer eyes and a small screen!