Thread: Canoe to red shirt lake for pike.

Default Canoe to red shirt lake for pike.

Anyone ever tried to fish red shirt with canoe. Is there a canoe trail that accesses to red shirt. I've looked in google maps and it looks like its possible. Any one done it before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a trail that goes from South Rolly lake to Red shirt, just over three miles. Tippecanoe has canoes there for rent. You pay for it before you head in and they will give you the combo for the lock. If you can, rent one of the cabins and stay a couple nights. Fish the incoming stream to the north of the lake. Head out from the trail head and you will go past the first island with one of the ASP cabins and head left. Fish the whole bank on your way.
    Good luck if you decide to go, great fun.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I was also wondering about Red Shirt Lake. Can you use a dirtbike on the trail or not? I would like to try for some pike one day and driving the motorcycle out there sounds pretty fun.

No motorized vehicles. It's a real nice easy hike though. You can also have someone fly you in if the walk doesn't appease you.

Did this last year about this time and it was a lot of fun. Rented the canoe and found it satisfactory and was glad not to be lugging mine on the trail (thought doable it would have been tough and there is some ups & downs). Didn't catch any monster (had and lost one biggy) but caught a good chunk of small ones.

I was planning in bringing my own canoe. So theirs a lot of walking huh. Is south rolly lake easy to get to?

Great area to canoe for the day or more. As was mentioned Redshirt has canoes a short walk from the parking. Tippicanoe has a great set up to carry the canoes for portages so that each person (2) has handles like wheelbarrow bow and stern. If you plan to do the loop of fish some of the closer lakes it is a great idea to rent one and use their system. They are nice folks to deal with as well.

KTUU recently had a fishing segment from Redshirt that may still be on the site.

Here is a map of the area and loop.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/nancylk/nansumap.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    I was planning in bringing my own canoe. So theirs a lot of walking huh. Is south rolly lake easy to get to?

I wouldn't pack a canoe to red shirt since the rental is very fair and the canoe is already at the lake. South Rolly is accessed through the camp ground and has some good fishing also. The campground is one of my favorite so it makes a great weekend with the family.

Thanks for the info.

We could always start a new thread in it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks