Thread: Best Size Jet Motor for a 2072 MVJT

Default Best Size Jet Motor for a 2072 MVJT

I'm purchasing a 2072 SeaArk with a jet tunnel. I plan to use it to freight materials for a cabin project. What's the best size outboard jet for this application? Can I get away with a 90 HP or 115 HP? Or do I need to go bigger like 150 HP or more? Thanks for the help.

I have a 22' SeaArk with a 115/80 Jet. The ONLY regret I have is that I didn't get the bigger motor. Don't get me wrong, it does pretty good if only two to three people. But you get four or five people and gear you defenitely notice it. I would go with a 150, especially if you plan on hauling larger loads. I have made tons of modifications to my boat. If you would like to see it you're more than welcome to stop by anytime. Just PM me...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Buy once and get the 150. Bigger the boat the more you load it down and you will want every bit of motor you can to move it. When your empty you can back it down and cruise. It's suprising how much weight will suck horse power. I used to run a 20' smoker craft with a 115 and it was a blast empty but could carry a decent load. Once you loaded it down with lots of fuel and three people for an extended time it struggled, even with a tight SS impeller.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Is there a huge difference between say a Yamaha or Honda 150 with a 7 3/8 jet and the Suzuki 140 with the 7 5/8? Would the Suzuki carry a bigger load? I'm a Honda fan but I've heard great things about the Suzuki 140.

I have head the Suzuki 140 was the cats meow. I have no experiance first hand though. This guy swapped his from a Yamaha to the Suzuki and was very glad he did. I think weight was a consideration in it. He has it on a Tjet Envoy, either 18-19'.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Branr1 View Post
    Is there a huge difference between say a Yamaha or Honda 150 with a 7 3/8 jet and the Suzuki 140 with the 7 5/8? Would the Suzuki carry a bigger load? I'm a Honda fan but I've heard great things about the Suzuki 140.
    The Suzuki 140 is the motor I'd put on that boat. I Run a SeaArk 1860 MVJT with Honda BF90 jet. That package is great so I would think the 140 is what is needed for the 2072 especially having the power plus sized jet on it. And that Suzuki 140 is probably the least expensive motor in that size range and they have proven themselves to be one of the most reliable motors in the whole industry.

Sobie2

I have a 2072 (no tunnel) and a 115hp yamaha. I use a prop and a jet lower unit. Never had a problem with either being underpowered, but you do notice less power with the jet on (of course). If you were only going to use a jet, I'd say the 150. If you ever plan to swap out to a prop, I'd stick with the 115.

It'll be all jet use. I think I've found a used SeaArk MVJT 2072 with a Honda 150. It has 174 hours a center console and three fuel tanks. Ill post a picture. Tell me what you guys think.

Default 2072 Seaark

2071 Sea ark with a load
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 2072 Pics

2072 motor pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

I finally got my pictures posted. So far I really like this boat and motor combo. I've carried some decent size loads with it and its performed well. I've made a few changes to it that have helped the performance.

Nice outfit, curious about the pods....do they follow the lines of the hull or does the bottom come up at all?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Nice outfit, curious about the pods....do they follow the lines of the hull or does the bottom come up at all?

They slant up from the back of the boat slightly. They are SeaArk pods.

Quote Originally Posted by Branr1 View Post
    They slant up from the back of the boat slightly. They are SeaArk pods.
    OK, thats good it was hard to tell in the pics.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Man what a great boat! I love that color I have only seen SeaArks in green. I was just out yesterday in my 1870 MVJT with a Honda 90. That 150 must be awesome! My current SeaArk doesn't have pods (nor does it need them) but I put them on my old 1652 MVJT. They kept the boat floating level and significantly reduced the bow rise when empty. If I always was carrying a load or had someone in the bow then I wouldn't have need them.

Again great find I am glad you are happy with it. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Sobie2

Very happy with the 115/80 jet on the 2072 SA.
    Rare to have it pegged out except to get on step.
    I make it a point to keep weight center & forward (I moved batteries, console, load & fuel near middle), with the heavy motor weight ,
    load balance is one important key to speed , performance & fuel consumption.

I use 3 configurations depending on the season & need,
    console back middle & no seats for dipping, dippers, coolers fish/ice middle or forward of middle.
    console center left for fishing,
    console way back / middle & windshield ,bow cover off for freight runs. Load is middle & forward.

Treat the weight & balance like loading a plane, will help performance & fuel consumption.
    To much weight aft, boat is always running up hill
    To much weight forward, bow is plowing
    Also balance the spray to be even coming off the left & right sides,

Takes a few trips to get used to load balancing & engine trim for various loads , but pays
    you back $$ in fuel consumption & performance.
    With a few trip & some minor load adjustments, you will notice better performance.