Thread: HELP Need experienced advice on Wooldridge

Default HELP Need experienced advice on Wooldridge

Have an older Wooldridge Classic whch finally appears seaworthy (too me) but would appreciate a chance to discuss this boat with Captains more experienced with this model than I am before I embark on a serious maiden voyages. I have many questions and me and boat are available just about any time with a little notice. Please PM me... and thank you.

Dont take such a serious maiden voyage......! Baby steps eh... Jet I presume...? Maiden voyage to be ocean or river....?
    Some of classics had a deep V hull...more suitable to salt water.....how about some pictures.....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default HELP Need experienced advice on Wooldridge Classic

Yep. Bought last year and brought up to (my) standards last month but need advice from experienced skipper. It's a jet, 22', 460ci, modified V, new 9.9 Yamaha (from Yamaha shop on Spenard road at great price), and new rack. Powerful and heavy but no raft yet. Thinking Seward and Homer cruising and fishing but open to suggestions. Baby steps sound good to me. No hurry no stress. Pics tomorrow if able.
    Last edited by Swami Don; 07-11-2014 at 12:51. Reason: add

Sorry to have mis-spoke, meant Suzuki not Yamaha in above boat description.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Wasilla Lake is a good place to start if you are truly a beginner. Lakes are great to learn on because there isn't any current and no nasties like sweepers and such or big waves like the ocean. One of my first river trips was from the Deshka Landing out to the Deshka River. That's a pretty short run on mostly big water and there is usually lots of other boats around if a guy gets into trouble. I wouldn't try to go upstream very far on the Deshka because, depending on the water level, that can get pretty shallow quick.

We used to launch up at Susitna Landing and run down to the Deshka, or Little Willow and then Willow Creek. That section of the river is pretty braided and a great learning experience, especially if you can follow someone down the first time. Plus, it is above the Deshka Landing so if you have trouble there is some hope of getting help.

The next best place I think is to go to Valdez. The bay there is pretty protected and starting in the middle of August, there is great silver fishing. The harbor and marina in Valdez is a great, first class operation with friendly people and most times you can actually get a slip for a few days and leave your boat in the water.

I've also been to Seward with my Wooldridge 22' Deeper V Classic and out of Whittier. The main thing to remember in Seward is that the bay can get really lumpy in the afternoons. Well I shouldn't say the main thing; the main thing to remember is that both places are ocean, big ocean and its all about the weather as far as I'm concerned. River boats, even my high sided one, are not ocean boats meant to take heavy weather and that should always be on your mind.

The jet boats can be rough out in the salt, even around Homer and especially in Seward and PWS. It is doable, you just have to be willing to go slow, not go, or wait out weather more than other boats. If you have spring seats, that helps a lot.

460ci sound like a Ford. How many hours? Take special care of your exhaust manifolds, they are next to impossible to replace, especially if they are aluminum. The only place we have found making new 460 manifolds is Hi Tek out of New Zealand and they are stainless steel. Very spendy, but a big performance upgrade. I have heard tell you can get a bolt on adapter to use Chevy 454 manifolds, but I have not seen them in action. I think at Hardin Marine.

Same advice all over the forum about new to jet boating. Go with somebody who knows first off. Your leaning curve will be much easier. Carry gear to get yourself off of a sand bar, and don't go hot doggin it by being Mr. super shallow guy. Those big inboard are really comfy out on the big rivers and you can carry a bunch of gear and people to see some great places. They really suck to pull off a sand bar.

Happy boating.

Default Floor Boards

If you can, pull them up and inspect the framing underneath the floor boards, especially towards the front.

If a low deadrise boat has seen a lot of salt water or large lake use (i.e. pounding through chop) ,
    You might find a lot of cracked welds which should be repaired.

I don't know about Wooldridge river boats but most of the other brands electrical systems are not protected agent salt water corrosion and that also go for the trailer. You might ask Wooldridge if your boat is electrical system is protected.