Thread: What bow for newbie ?

Default What bow for newbie ?

I am 6' 3" and almost 64 years old. Time to take up bow hunting and I need some ideas on what bow to get for hunting moose and caribou. I am thinking of a re curve, but it looks like most are using a compound. Also, interested in hearing about practice and hunting arrows and arrow heads. Do Cabelas and Sportsman's have good bows? Is this kind of like asking what rifle, caliber and bullet are best for hunting in Alaska?

Ive been using a GOLDEN EAGLE Talon that I bought new in 1979. About 82 lbs draw & you have to hold all the weight back,but I am used to it.

My wife bought me a Hoyt last year for my birth day & I have to say it is a LOT easier to shoot.

The let off is Fantastic since I have torn rotor cuffs. Not having to strain to wait for the shot holding the back pressure.

I am finding that my groups are also tighter.

& FASTER , I cant hardly see the arrow after releasing.

I would recommend going to Sportsmans or Cabelas & trying several & see what best fits you.

Both have a good variety to choose from .

Good luck & happy hunting

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am 6' 3" and almost 64 years old. Time to take up bow hunting and I need some ideas on what bow to get for hunting moose and caribou. I am thinking of a re curve, but it looks like most are using a compound. Also, interested in hearing about practice and hunting arrows and arrow heads. Do Cabelas and Sportsman's have good bows? Is this kind of like asking what rifle, caliber and bullet are best for hunting in Alaska?
    Keep in mind using a recurve or longbow takes considerably more time to become proficient enough to hunt ethically, at least if you are shooting instinctively. I used to hunt with a recurve but moved to the compound bow and am happy I did, although I do miss the 'instinctive' pull and release style of shooting with the former.

As Pro Taxidermy mentioned, you will likely glean much more information from a visit to a bowshop or the bowhunting section of one of the bigger box stores. You may find you will get a little more personalized service from a smaller pro shop.

Your practice tips (field points, usually) should be the same weight (grains) as your hunting broadheads. Many folks shoot 100 or 125 grains. Your arrows (weight) probably ought be selected to match the game you intend to take. Again, the shop you buy your bow from ought to be able to give you the exact type of arrow and tips best suited for your needs.

If you intend to hunt in AK (or anywhere you hunt), be sure you are aware of the restrictions/requirements placed upon type of equipment, poundage, etc etc. Minimum poundage is 50lb, most people try to get at least a couple of lb above that. And certainly ANY bow that shoots 50lb is going to kill, if the arrow hits the vitals. Don't 'overbow' yourself...that is, don't try to shoot a draw weight that is too difficult for you to pull and hold. I actually increase the poundage of my compound over the summer months, then decrease it for the hunting season. Makes drawing it seem like a breeze (which is how it is supposed to be).

Mostly, have fun! I love archery!
    Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Wow tough question with lots of answers. I could likely type for an hour to answer. If you like you can give me a call to chat and I'll try to help you as best I can. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number
    Dave

If I bought a new one it would be at full curl archery bowtech carbon knight for $699 weighs about the same as a pack of cigarettes but it is all ford vs chevy, blah blah blah they are all sweet now a days I think this ones a steal http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...wtech-Assassin

Bass pro shop has the PSE Stinger 3G ready to shoot package for 299 right now. Read up on it. The reviews are great. I grew up shooting recurve and compound but took a 20 year hiatus. We just picked this bow up and im extremly satisfied. The staff there tune the bow in for your specs and help you to sight it in and coach you on technique and form in their indoor range.
    It has all you need to start out set up and ready to go. You cant buy a better bow with its add ons and quality for the price.

Depending on where you are I would recommend going to alocal shop and ask them to help get you set up. I did that about a year agoafter doing a ton of research, learned more in 1/2 hour there (precisionarchery here in Fairbanks which closed down a little while ago, something to dowith lease agreement I think).

Another thing, there are lots of opinions about this bow is better than thatbow, really they are all pretty close unless you are a proficient shooter anysolid bow will work.

I love my hoyt charger by the way.

The best thing you could do is to visit multiple shops and shoot as many bows as possible. When I bought my bow, I immediately narrowed it down to three choices on my first round of visits, then two, but then it took me another three visits to make that final choice. The shop was great to work with (Archer's Den, now closed), and taking my time led to me feeling great about my purchase. Every shooter has different preferences. While true that almost all modern bows are nice, some will just feel better to you - that's the one to get.

I am thinking of a re curve, but it looks like most are using a compound.
    If you have actually been thinking about a recurve then perhaps the main question you should be asking yourself is if you want to bow hunt via instinctive shooting, or using sights. Personally, since a kid I just always gravitated towards instinctive shooting. The gratification you can glean from honing your instinctive shooting skills at varying distances is something to be very proud of indeed. Not to say that some guys don't shoot their compounds instinctively as well, but from what I hear it's not practiced that much.....and why should it.

It pretty much just all depends if you want to participate in the "high tech" sector and actually get to hunting in fairly short order or, go the traditional "stick and string" path and take the time to shoot instinctively. The latter should take considerably more time, before ethically thinking about drawing on a big game animal.

There is probably nothing more simplistic than traditional archery, which is also another thing that has always appealed to me.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Couple of other things to think about. First, find out what your draw length is...most like in the 30 inch range. Any bow you get should match your length, or find out if it can be adjusted to you. Second, consider a used bow as your first to see if you like shooting...my first choice would be a bow shop, but I have gotten them off Craigslist. Last, a compound bow will let you shoot farther than a recurve, so you don't have to get as close. Typically, a recurve is good up to 30 yards...yes people are successful farther, but those tend to be folks with years of practice. I shoot a Mathews compound with Beman ICS arrows, muzzy 100 grain broadheads out to 60 yards with great precision and I am in awe of what the recurve folks can do though.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Well,,, What did you end up with .338 mag.? Traditional or Compound?