Thread: Boat for Tanana/Yukon?

Default Boat for Tanana/Yukon?

I've got a 21' Koffler flat bottom sled I am inheriting from my father-in-law & would like to use for hunting the Tanana/Yukon rivers, maybe 2015. It currently has the standard 50 horse 4 stroke prop drive Yamaha Kenai setup on it. How would that setup due for me up there? Two or three guys, camp... Won't be going a super long ways the 1st time.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Generally speaking, the Yukon is mostly a much deeper river and most can run props while the Tanana is usually much shallower and can eat props. Most of the Tanana boats here are using jets or jack lifts. That said, the annual Galena to Fairbanks racers run props but are operating in lower Tanana and are very experienced.

Thanks Vern.
    My thoughts on the Tanana would probably be to put in at Manley but I have never hunted the rifer before so it's all a dream & speculation at this time.
    I've hunted the area on land from Minto to the bridge at the Yukon but never the rivers.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Hi Vance,
    There is plenty of water in both rivers for props but it can be hard to read at times. I think the limitation will be your 50 hp outboard. Once you load 2-3 guys with gear then toss just one moose in you may have problems getting on step. If you go light buy your fuel on the river and ship your moose out it is possible but expensive. If you go light, stay closer to your launch ,and make a few trips you could most definitely do it. More pressure closer in but just work harder and walk off or canoe off the main rive and hunt away from the crowd. No mater how you decide just get out and try and you will figure it out as you go and get it dialed in. Good luck you will have a blast.

You can run a prop all the way to Eagle on the Yukon if you know how to read a river. 5o horse will be ok but you will have to watch your weight with 2-3 guys and gear plus meat, maybe go upriver light and come downriver heavy
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Fact is I don't have a lot of river reading skills. I will be playing more on the kenai this year & next summer to try & up my boat handling/river reading skills. I have had 4 adults (avg 185#?), a 100# young person & 124 Reds & one 50# king on board (dipnetting a few years ago) & it took some work to get it on step. Maybe a specific prop for heavy load conditions? When those questions come I'll move to the boat forum.
    I'm hoping to get my son (will be 12 then) & wife up there with me & will probably have a friend & his wife along in another boat (22ish' North River with a 175ish hp Honda). It should be an adventure
    Vance in AK.