Thread: Your thoughts on Anderson

Default Your thoughts on Anderson

Hi all,

I know some of you have sent me MLS's on property in Anderson, but I have never asked, How is Anderson? What is the hunting and fishing like around the area? Ups/downs, pros/cons......

At this point my wife asked me 3 questions:

1) Does it have a bar, some place to eat something?
    2) Does it have a grocery store or at least someplace to buy food/basics?
    3) Is there a gas station?

Only question one I could answer based off of the internet.......

Thanks for your insights...

You would be driving up to Nenana or down to Healy for most of those answers. Otherwise you are doing day trips to Fairbanks.

You will be up against the Nenana river and Clear AFB. Moose season will have a lot of pressure in the area hitting Stampeed or the Rex trail systems. Fishing is pike in sloughs and maybe whitefish. Grayling in clear waters far away. Lots of snow machining, which allows for winter drawing permit hunting nearby.

How far up the trails do most people hunt? Past the Tek?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

You know why there are so many property listings in Anderson right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    You know why there are so many property listings in Anderson right?

Cause it blows in Anderson and sucks in Fairbanks??

Just tell me why it blows or sucks? I have some ideas but do tell.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I have never stopped there know nothing much about the place but i remember

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/us/18alaska.html?_r=0

Bar choices are the Dewdrop in summer and the Lion's club has a small place that usually won't be open while the Dewdrop is open. No grocery store in town. No gas station either.

So there is no redeeming quality? I see that there are a few trails nearby to hunt off of. The Rex to the east and the kobe-Mcgarth to the west. Land is cheap. It is centrally located in the state. I won't need a job. So what gives? I understand it is a "wide bend" in the road....

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    So what gives?
    Its lowlands in the interior which means very cold most of the winter and when not frozen its covered up in bugs. Along the highway there are numerous homes, but you get down that road towards the AFB and you are farther from normal than you may want to be.

I once knew someone that drove the school bus which collected the kids in Anderson and took them to Healy. The kids from two families in Anderson were the main reason for looking for a different job. People tend to frown on bus drivers kicking kids off buses in the winter and leaving them stranded in a snow bank. People also tend to frown on bus drivers that shoot children cause they needed killing. IIRC there were five total feral kids on the bus with the oldest being the worse. He was not allowed to ride the bus several times each school year. On one of his trips home the parents knew he had lost bus ride privlages again, met him at the bus stop, dragged him off the bus and beat him down right there in the road. The bus driver said that it appeared the community lived in fear of this family. Its been over a decade since then, so they may have moved on or the feral kids have bred and started on a third generation.

Small just off the road communities need a good boots on the ground inspection. Keep a look out for anyone giving you any amount of stink eye, even the surely tikes on ATVs. Especially the surely tikes. They are a good indicator of the community as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Small just off the road communities need a good boots on the ground inspection. Keep a look out for anyone giving you any amount of stink eye, even the surely tikes on ATVs. Especially the surely tikes. They are a good indicator of the community as a whole.
    Good advice, that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

As always I thank you for your advice. The big countdown is on, so I will be asking a few more questions about places.

Edwin Hubble