Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone go to Bass Pro

Default Anyone go to Bass Pro

Man they must have burned the midnight oil but the sign said grand opening July 9 at 6pm.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Yes got a box of 22 shells was overall disappointed at the store

Suprise... I think after all these years we got our hopes up for some magical store. Cabelas wasn't all that but I do like the option to go in and do some shopping, knowing the store doesn't have everything. I think both stores will be valuable in their own ways but the SW and other local business's will still get a lot of business. I just hope BP has a better fishing section then Cabelas. Theres is lacking in every way possible
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

That was the biggest mistake Iíve made in awhile. I had to park behind Bed Bath & Beyond. There were people parking in the grass and in the ditches. It took me 30 min just to drive out of the parking lot. NUTS!!!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    That was the biggest mistake Iíve made in awhile. I had to park behind Bed Bath & Beyond. There were people parking in the grass and in the ditches. It took me 30 min just to drive out of the parking lot. NUTS!!!!!
    That's the worst designed parking lot I've ever seen. There are more islands, trees and grass than there are actual parking spots. Epic failure!!!!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Quote Originally Posted by onewhohunts View Post
    yes got a box of 22 shells was overall disappointed at the store
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    suprise... I think after all these years we got our hopes up for some magical store. Cabelas wasn't all that but i do like the option to go in and do some shopping, knowing the store doesn't have everything. I think both stores will be valuable in their own ways but the sw and other local business's will still get a lot of business. I just hope bp has a better fishing section then cabelas. Theres is lacking in every way possible
    Quote Originally Posted by asus-dag View Post
    that was the biggest mistake iíve made in awhile. I had to park behind bed bath & beyond. There were people parking in the grass and in the ditches. It took me 30 min just to drive out of the parking lot. Nuts!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbitten View Post
    that's the worst designed parking lot i've ever seen. There are more islands, trees and grass than there are actual parking spots. Epic failure!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    something i find kinda interesting.

Many years ago, on an alaska outdoors forum, i recall reading how some people were fed up with some sporting goods stores here in anchorage. There were numerous complaints about high prices, poor service, sales people not knowing anything, sales people knowing everything, &c. Mvs, bj, sa, wwg, and some of the others that i can't recall at the moment.

Then there were rumors of a place called sportsman's warehouse that was going to be built in anchorage. Some folks that had been in a sw in the lower 48 claimed that it was the best and the other places, mvs, sa, etc would be gone when sw opened.

The day came and sw opened. Many folks were excited...then not so much. The complaints started... High prices, poor service, sales people not knowing anything, sales people knowing everything, &c.

Folks said that the current local sporting goods stores had nothing to worry about...

Word came that cabela's was coming to anchorage. That's it, sw will be out of business now, said some. No more poor service, sales people not knowing anything, sales people knowing everything, etc.

Cabela's opened to huge crowds. The complaints soon followed; prices too high, clothes not made for alaska, lame animal mounts, etc. Now some folks are saying sw has nothing to worry about...

...just wait 'til bass pro shops opens...
    uh oh!....

I agree the parking was terribly designed.

Was happy to get 2lbs of H1000 though it was pretty expensive.

[QUOTE=mtnclimber;1407542]I agree the parking was terribly designed.

Was happy to get 2lbs of H1000 though it was pretty expensive.[/QUOTE

They have H1000 at Three bears on KGB.....29.00 per lb. I believe they still have some, give them a call....

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That's the worst designed parking lot I've ever seen. There are more islands, trees and grass than there are actual parking spots. Epic failure!!!!
    Thanks title 21?

Stopped by today, overall a nice store and the fishing section is much better than Cabelas, especially if you actually want stuff for fishing in Ak.

Just looked at the newspaper ad thunder jets inside to look at very cool!!!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default BPS

I lived by a cabela's in MI and they had better prices (by far) than the local shops that were definitely "unique" in their approach to customer service. Used to be able to buy and try and no hassle return with cabelas. I did a ton of walleye/musky/smallmouth fishing and it worked out well outfitting my boat, etc. They marketed the Michigan products when they opened the store and had a good amount of in state product. Wife and I went to the pre opening here and this store is definitely not even close. Won't go back.

Fast forward to today at BPS (whose store in Detroit I only went to once and couldn't stand it). Parking was a pain in anchorage, but it had Kodiak custom lures, Diamond D holsters, arctic oven tents and a few other Alaska specific products. Got a nice 5-6 fly reel spooled at a good price and had a good fly discussion with the sales guy about what to try on an upcoming POW trip. Totally better than cabela's in my opinion, still like my local stores and will support them as well but was happy I went to BPS today.

Did anybody get to meet Jimmy Houston? I'm still tingly about it.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

If you build it, they will complain.

I went in there today. Bought a flare gun kit for like $20 off from Cabela's & West Marine. Also got a pair of chap-o hip waders. (Really cheap-o.)

I was there at 1 pm and ad to park at petco. (If I was manager at petco or Michael's...I'd be PISSSED right now t BPS customers taking up all the parking.)

My son liked the animal displays...more Alaskan.

I asked about a telescoping spinning rod I saw at SW (Eagle Claw I think), but all they had were cheap-o Zebcos. However, the guy I was talking with had a notepad and said he was adding that to the list of stuff to bring in and asked if I had any other ideas. That surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Did anybody get to meet Jimmy Houston? I'm still tingly about it.
    Man Jimmy Houston they did pull out all the stops
    Unknown author

The fishing selection was way better as BPS but that is typically the scenario. Was not impressed by their hunting selection or the parking lot. I could not believe the amount of people that were waiting in line to meet the 'celebs'.

I love the big guys as much as anyone but lets remember the little guys like wiggy's, barney's etc.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I love the big guys as much as anyone but lets remember the little guys like wiggy's, barney's etc.
    I agree. Support local. I ALWAYS buy local unless my lack of planning forces me to submit due to time before an item is needed. I have never been in a big box store and received close to the level of customer service I received in our small local stores. The owners and employees of these shops are Lifetime or seasoned Veterans of the Alaska outdoors with years of experience and intimate knowledge of when, where and what you need to keep you dry, keep you safe and make you successful.

Many people think you don't have the large selection at the small local stores as you do at the big box stores and they ARE right. BUT, it is because they ONLY carry the best and most durable products that will satisfy their customers. Cabelas sells some quality products, but they also sell a lot of cheap crap that will break or fall apart after the first couple uses.

I've been on more fishing trips than I can count where I've taken a newbie that brought a cheap set of waders they were confident wouldn't leak. Every time they fell and they realize that extra 2-300 they good have spent would have put them in a quality, warranted set of equipment.

Mossy's fly shop, Alaska mountaineering and hiking, Barney's, Alaska raft and kayak get a decent amount of my paycheck every year. It's nice to walk into a retail shop where they know you by name, know what gear you have and will go out of their way to ensure you are well outfitted go adventure in this state.

Keep the big box stores for those in the lower 48 than can walk to the road in a couple hours or less when their cheap crap fails. I'll invest in quality gear bought with sound advice from our local retail. I advise others to as well.

Yeah the selection part. Who freakin cares about 95% of the stuff in these stores?

Same as big box everything stores everywhere else. People go to Walmart. People go to target. I sure as hell go to Fred's. I guess I don't buy 95% of the stuff in Fred's either.

But what do these stores really bring to the table? The Internet, Fred's. and Walmart were already price checking the local stores on guns, ammo, and gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast