Thread: Smoking and Possession Limit

Default Smoking and Possession Limit

Maybe a quickie but you never know on these type of Req Posts.

If you are brining your fish for smoking are they still counted against your possession limit? I believe that I am right that actually smoking them takes them out of "possession" but was just wondering about the steps leading up to smoking.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post

If you are brining your fish for smoking are they still counted against your possession limit? I believe that I am right that actually smoking them takes them out of "possession" but was just wondering about the steps leading up to smoking.
    Brined fish are not preserved, therefore they are still part of your possession limit

frozen, canned or smoked

The regs say the fish must be fit for consumption after 15 days. AKA canned,frozen,Smoked
    Would you eat your brined only fish two weeks later? My guess is NO.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks for the replies. i was not planning on any on-site smoking but thought it an interesting question being new-ish to Alaska. I have been amazed at the number of rules/reqs up here and not that I agree/disagree with them but originating from the lower 48 you hear that Alaska is a great fishing state but having been here a while you learn there is certainly a learning curve to the fishing timing and reqs of what proves to be a great fishing state.

originating from the lower 48 you hear that Alaska is a great fishing state but having been here a while you learn there is certainly a learning curve to the fishing timing and reqs of what proves to be a great fishing state.
    ain't that the truth! Reading a lot of AK talk on other forums, I'm amazed at the number of lower 48'ers who say things like "where can I go to catch lots of big salmon without hiring a guide" ... and they're going in late May For all the folks that do catch a lot of fish there are plenty that get served up a big 'ol plate of skunk because they didn't do their homework!

So, what if one were to take a large amount of "dry brine" and put their fish in that? Seeing as it is at least half salt and it takes a large amount. I would think a good lawyer(though it would just be easier and cheaper to just follow the common sense crowd when it comes to catch possession regs) would get you out of any trouble if you went the "brine" route(wet or dry). The only thing it says in the regs is preserved/processed in a way it can be eaten after 15 days AND "lightly" salted doesn't count. 1st off who gets to say what is lightly salted? I like to put about 4 "shakes" from the salt shaker on my mashed potatoes but my wife only uses 1. To each of us that is lightly salted. Guess you'd have to ask whoever is issuing a fine to taste it and hope they have really sensitive taste buds. Second, salmon gets used as sushi/sashimi so what are the chances it would it be edible as such if kept in a brine for that long. Maybe some like it to have a bit of extra flavor?

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    So, what if one were to take a large amount of "dry brine" and put their fish in that? Seeing as it is at least half salt and it takes a large amount.
    Would (could)you eat fish that have been sitting in brine for 15 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Why not, some eat fish buried in the sand for a month without a brine.

look up recipes for gravlax. it is often dry brined for a few days and then kept in the fridge until consumed.

If you are over the limit and on site processing fish you are probably asking for trouble with somebody. I'm not going there with the 15 day thing......You guys kill me sometimes. However, I don't think anyone gives it a second thought when taking fish out of the freezer to thaw, soaking them in the brine, and throwing em' in the smoker when you are doing it at your residence. I can't imagine really getting in trouble and the outcry the public would have when it went to court. And it would go there......LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Why not, some eat fish buried in the sand for a month without a brine.
    Be my guest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    However, I don't think anyone gives it a second thought when taking fish out of the freezer to thaw, soaking them in the brine, and throwing em' in the smoker when you are doing it at your residence. I can't imagine really getting in trouble and the outcry the public would have when it went to court. And it would go there......LOL.....
    If you are taking it out of the freezer to prep for smoking or any other thing, it is well past being in your possession limit already. Once it is frozen, it is off the books. Frozen is considered preserved. The question was regarding going directly from raw fish you just caught to smoking (at least that is how I read it and the follow up supports that, but I could be mistaken).

I have eaten a few thing some my call strange but stinky fish is on my no no list. Pickled Muktuk isn't bad though.

I believe the question was in regards to being stream side in a camper or something and having your fish from yesterday or today in brine prior to smoking and in that case yes it counts against your posession limit as the brine hasn't fully preserved it.
    At your personal residence after it has been frozen and thawed and you are preping for smoking then no it would not count.
    I certainly wouldn't be caught at the stream side with fish in brine only and another posession limit with me.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I have sockeye filets in my fridge that have been sitting in 100% salt and just the juice that comes out of the salmon for 3 weeks now. I'll be rinsing it this evening and then pickling it tomorrow. So yes, it's safe. Once it's pickled it will be completely safe due to the acidity of the vinegar.

I'll admit when I first read the title of this thread I thought a lower 48 person was wondering about our weed regs. Lol. I met quite a few people this summer that thought marijuana was legal up here.